Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Beginner

Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default 16GB vs 32GB

How much do you think is enough? How many of you use a 16gb? 32gb? I have a 16gb right now and I have 12gb free, but I kind of wanted to jailbreak. Will that take a lot of memory? I have specific apps that I always have and I don't put music on my phone. I just use pandora or spotify. At the moment I don't have many pics on my phone, but I usually have a decent amount.

Are there people out there that wish they would've gotten a 32 because they didn't know how fast the memory fills up? Are there cloud services out there specifically for pics, documents, etc? I know these some pretty basic questions but I'm deciding between a 32gb i4 or a 16gb i4S. Any and all feedback appreciated, thanks!
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    596 Global Posts
    iOS Version

32gb for me. I current have almost 10gb used. I could get by with 16gb...but don't want to risk it I guess.
    Thanked by:
    CH1N087 (01-26-2012)
    iMore Expert

Global Posts
    870 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS6

I've always had a 16Gig and it has been more than fine for how I use my phone. Now I do not carry my entire iTunes Music Library with me. Just what I know I listen to the most. Some people do like having all their music with them at all times. If you have a LARGE collection, you may consider bigger. IF you are a Big Gamer and you play some of the larger games (i.e.. Infinity Blade) you may want to consider larger. I have a TON of games, but I just carry the ones that I am currently playing. Basically I am "managing my Memory. That's what it comes down to is "managing" your memory. If you don't mind doing that then 16Gig is plenty.

I do use the cloud services (DropBox, Box.Net, etc.) Docs do not take up that much memory though. Oh! Also if you have an 4S and are taking a lot of HD video you will probably also want a 32Gig or bigger. HD Video is a memory hog!

I personally will probably stay with a 16Gig when I upgrade, but my next iPad will DEFINiTELY be 32Gig or Bigger!
    JB iPhone 3G => 16G iPhone 4 iOS5, 16G iPad1 iOS5 => iP5 32Gig White, iPad4 32Gig Black

Also up and running on Twitter @AUDad

Also on Google+ if you are on there.
    Thanked by:
    CH1N087 (01-26-2012)
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    13,169 Global Posts
    iOS Version

If you plan to load any music or take a lot of pics and vids, go 32 as Brickman said.
    Thanked by:
    CH1N087 (01-26-2012)
    iMore Beginner

iOS Version

16 on my I-Ph4....But will double that when I upgrade this year, I dont have all my -I-tunes music and would love to be able to have it all next time around.
    Chairman of the Bored
    Thanked by:
    CH1N087 (01-26-2012)
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    2,036 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I would get the maximum possible. In this case 32GB. My music files are about 14GB alone.
    Thanked by:
    CH1N087 (01-26-2012)
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    680 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I've got about 3.5gb left on my 16gb 4S. I can get by with the 16gb version but I would rather have the 32gb even though I would never need all that. For resale I think it's always better to go with more storage anyways.
    iPhone 5S - iPad Air - MacBook Pro 13" - ATV3

+ Romans 8:28 +
    Thanked by:
    CH1N087 (01-26-2012)
  8. Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  
    iPhone Beginner

Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I see. Like I said I don't put music on my phone though. I just use pandora or spotify. Any answers to my jb question? Thanks for the feedback everyone. Really appreciate it! Is there a difference in the cameras? Going to be a proud father in a few months and probably gonna want to take a bunch of pics, if not me, then my gf will haha.
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    680 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by CHIN087 View Post
    Any answers to my jb question? Thanks for the feedback everyone.
    Sorry. I can't help you there. I have never/nor care to jb my phone. Hopefully someone else can chime in on that front.
    iPhone 5S - iPad Air - MacBook Pro 13" - ATV3

+ Romans 8:28 +
    Thanked by:
    CH1N087 (01-26-2012)
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    596 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by CHIN087 View Post
    I see. Like I said I don't put music on my phone though. I just use pandora or spotify. Any answers to my jb question? Thanks for the feedback everyone. Really appreciate it! Is there a difference in the cameras? Going to be a proud father in a few months and probably gonna want to take a bunch of pics, if not me, then my gf will haha.
    No difference in the camera in the 16gb to 32gb models...

Jailbreaking...I don't know how much space it takes up...but you can look at around for people who fill out their profiles...there are plenty that have a 16gb. $100 at upgrade time for double the space just is a worthwhile insurance policy to me.

If it helps, I have 289 songs, 8 Videos (1 is a full length, "Public Enemies), 498 photos, and 89 applications. I have a capacity of 28.5gb and have 18.8gb left and I am jailbroken.
    Last edited by LSglock89; 01-26-2012 at 01:02 PM.
    Thanked by:
    CH1N087 (01-26-2012)
    Administrator

Global Posts
    10,099 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6

Quote Originally Posted by Garz View Post
    If you plan to load any music or take a lot of pics and vids, go 32 as Brickman said.
    Can always go the iTunes Match route as well. Eliminates the need to store any music on the device.
    Thanked by:
    CH1N087 (01-26-2012)
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    2,036 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Actually, on second thought, everything is becoming cloud based. There are lots of music streaming options for example. You might wanna think on that.
    Thanked by:
    CH1N087 (01-26-2012)
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    375 Global Posts

I got the 32 gig 4s and I like it. Lots of space but I also have an 80 gig iPod classic which i use for music at work and just have my iPhone music for at the gym. Figured I would rather be safe than sorry since I will have this for 3 years and probably will have a handful of pictures in the end.
    Thanked by:
    CH1N087 (01-26-2012)
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    375 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by emirozmen View Post
    Actually, on second thought, everything is becoming cloud based. There are lots of music streaming options for example. You might wanna think on that.
    Only thing with music steaming is you need wifi or a good data plan.
    Thanked by:
    CH1N087 (01-26-2012)
    iPhone Intermediate

iOS Version

I'm rolling with an iPhone 4 32gig. Tons of memory, about 25gigs are taken in total. Music and video only take about 5gigs and my jailbroken stuff takes about 3gigs. The rest are apps and such.
    Thanked by:
    CH1N087 (01-28-2012)
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    120 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I have a white 32gb 4s and I have about 10 gigs of music on it and about 3 gigs in apps waiting on 5.1 so I can use photo stream to keep my pics, the next one I buy will be a 64 gb model

Sent from my iPhone 4s
    using Tapatalk
    Thanked by:
    CH1N087 (01-28-2012)
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    141 Global Posts

I have a 64GB white iPhone 4S and it's 75% full. I have 20GB of music, 10GB apps, some videos, 6000 photos and whatnot. My previous 32GB 3GS was getting full quite often so I knew I needed to upgrade. I'm the type of person who likes to carry around a lot of information with them, as I sync my phone once and then don't for another while. I don't want to keep transferring different data. I'll definitely be buying a 64GB iPad 3 as well.

Storage is something that I don't want to run out of. It's not like I can upgrade the storage on an iPhone, so $100 or $200 over 2 years is well worth it.
    Thanked by:
    CH1N087 (01-28-2012)

Global Posts
    19,399 Global Posts
    iOS Version

16 GB is more than enough for me. I don't download videos and I may download a few tunes here and there. If you're going to be downloading a lot of music & videos as well as store a great deal of photos on your device then I recommend a minimum of 32 GBs. However, if you'll be using your device for business or in a semi-business-like manner then the 16 GB version should suffice.

Just Me, D
    Thanked by:
    CH1N087 (01-28-2012)
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    262 Global Posts

Default 16 or 64.

iPhones or iPads. I tell people the same thing.

It's $____ ($199 or $499) for the first 16GB, it's $100 for another 16GB (totaling), but for only $100 more you've got another 32GB (that's half-price) so I tell everyone, get 16GB or 64GB.

Even when it's junk just for a jukebox in the car, you'll have more music on it.
    Or when you got to resell it, it'll have more value there too....

Gary
    Thanked by:
    CH1N087 (01-28-2012)
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    2,494 Global Posts

I have only had my 16 GB 4 for about a week and I only have 3 GB left. I have 7 gigs of music (which is all my music) and 54 apps and one full length movie (Star Trek). Obviously, I probably don't NEED 54 apps on my phone at once, but I'd rather not have to manage my memory. And I don't have all the games I'd like installed (I want to get Infiniti Blade 1&2). I'm not sure if I'll stick with iPhone for my next device (got this one off contract), but if I do it will be at least 32 GB, if not 64 GB. And to think, 4 years ago I was satisfied with a laptop with a 70 GB hard drive.
    Thanked by:
    CH1N087 (01-28-2012)
    iPhone Newbie

As everyone else think, I guess, the more storage capacity you've got the easier for you to organize. However, even though iPhone 4s 64GB is the one with the largest capacity so far, I think it is still a bit expensive.
    Thanked by:
    CH1N087 (01-28-2012)
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    213 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by betty_midd View Post
    As everyone else think, I guess, the more storage capacity you've got the easier for you to organize. However, even though iPhone 4s 64GB is the one with the largest capacity so far, I think it is still a bit expensive.
    you have to pay to play.

I have a 32gb iPhone4 and a 32gb ipod touch.
    they both only have about 1gb each of free space.
    i have split my itunes library between rap and hiphop/mixtapes on my touch and everything else on my iphone.

with that said. tomtom alone takes 1.2gb of data.

yes you can stream music(which i do) but keep in mind how much you use it.
    with all data on an iphone if you are not grandfathered into the unlimited plan you have to watch it.

between music/netflix/pandora/browsing and email all saved on my phone and updated i use about 6/7gb of data a month. (but im really on the high side)

my mom gets by on a 8gb
    my sister a 16gb
    and me and my brother in law both have 32gb

it all depends on the person and how they use they're device.
    AT&T White 64Gb 5-Unlimited Data
    Thanked by:
    CH1N087 (01-29-2012)
    iPhone Nanite

Global Posts
    19 Global Posts

32gb for me. I current have almost 15gb used.
    Thanked by:
    CH1N087 (01-29-2012)
    iPhone Beginner

Global Posts
    232 Global Posts

i have a 16gb jailbroken 4s....I want a 64gb but ive been managing my memory by only adding games that i am currently playing. For some reason i tend to horde games and apps i rarely use just bc i can.....why do i need all 3 gangstar's, 5 racing games, and 5 fps games??? lol....on average i have about 4gb free at any given time.
    Thanked by:
    CH1N087 (01-29-2012)
    Tony the Tiger likes this.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    702 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Now that I've had my iPhone 4s for a few months (November) I think i should have secured a 32gb. reason being, the videos are 1080p and take up a lot of space.

I am not talking about videos I download' rather the videos I take with my phone.
    Thanked by:
    CH1N087 (01-29-2012)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast