Wifi keeps turning off

lytefall

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
My wife's wifi connection keeps shutting off. It will still display a network name under the wifi setting in the settings but it says 3G beside the signal strength indicator. It does not matter where she is so a specific router can't be the issue. We both have the same phone and I can be standing beside her with full wifi connection and hers says 3G. The only way to correct it seems to be a hard reset which seems to correct the issue for a few days sometimes, other times only for a few minutes.

Is there something I am missing? Any ideas or help would be appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
My wife's wifi connection keeps shutting off. It will still display a network name under the wifi setting in the settings but it says 3G beside the signal strength indicator. It does not matter where she is so a specific router can't be the issue. We both have the same phone and I can be standing beside her with full wifi connection and hers says 3G. The only way to correct it seems to be a hard reset which seems to correct the issue for a few days sometimes, other times only for a few minutes.

Is there something I am missing? Any ideas or help would be appreciated

Is the iPhone unlocked when you are looking at the 3G symbol instead of wifi?

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
I would try reseting the network settings if that don't work try a restore.

Sent Into Orbit from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

lytefall

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
No, I know the phone will go into 3G when in standby/sleep/locked. This is when the phone is in use. I "forgot" the home network in the settings and reapplied the password and it seems to be working for now. I am planning on doing a restore as soon as I have time.

Also interestingly enough this afternoon her phone stopped ringing with incoming calls (ringer is turned on before anyone asks). Starting to think she got a bad phone seeing as its only a few weeks old.

colocolo

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
I had an issue where the password for the wi-fi was changed and it kept using the old one..It took me a while, but I was finally able to figure how to enter the newer password.

claremac31

Apr 12, 2013
Visit site
I got a rather large Bt bill for internet charges as apparently i was going over my usage when i looked at the bill i was on the internet sometimes for upto 6 hours a time sometimes 2 or 3 times a day other times 3,4,5 hours and bt are blaming an app running in the background all fine and well that might be even though i don't have that many apps when i looked at my husbands bill his was practically the same as mine but he doesn't use hi phone as much as i do, we were both sat together wondering why and shutting things down and my wifi went off and 3g came on but my hubbys was fine then 2 mins later wifi back on and when we checked again later on hubby's was off yet mine was still on and what i think is happening is the Bt sim card is somehow cutting out my wifi whildt i have my mobile data switched on my phone and it is running up all my usage to which Bt are then charging for once i go over my limit i've turned all my internet off on my phone and left my wifi on and guess what whilst we are sat in the house the wifi never drops i think us iphone users have an issue with our mobile provider than apple, oh i'm still waiting for Bt to get back intouch so far there not responding so might let Ofcom deal with it

rgcurrin

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
Make sure your password is the same for phone and laptop. I had the same problem connecting, spent several hours trying to solve the issue, only to discover that my password on my phone had been altered by one digit-- how I know not.

rfera

Jan 31, 2014
Visit site
I have a similar problem, but with a slight "hitch", of course. About a month ago, my iPhone 4 took a "bath"...only for a few seconds, and after getting all the water out that I could, and sitting for about 5 days in rice and gel packs, it works great...with one exception. It keeps dropping the wifi connection, which it never did before in the 3-1/2 years I've had it. To make it just a bit more strange, it only drops in certain locations of my house, and strangely enough, the worst place is in my bedroom, where the router is located!

If I'm sitting in the livingroom, adjacent to the bedroom, the connection is spotty. Often, it takes several attempts to get connected (it will never connect automatically, despite the fact that "Ask to Join Networks" is ON), and sometimes I have to re-enter the password, and even then, I often get "Unable to connect to this network at this time". Usually it will take about 3 attempts to connect, sometimes 10 or 12. If I'm in the bedroom, it won't reconnect AT ALL! Now, if I'm in the guest bathroom, down the hall AWAY from the router, it will connect on the first attempt and STAY connected until/unless I leave the bathroom. (and, it's a bit weird to hang out in there just to use the wifi on my phone...not to mention that it's not all that "comfy"!)

The phone will just randomly drop the connection, and of course, it's usually when I'm actually USING the data, but not always. I can have a connection, start a FaceBook post or text, etc., and it will just drop. But, it also will drop just sitting there, so it's not connected to the usage.

I have reset the phone several times, have reset network connections, and reset the router, as well. It doesn't matter if the case is on or off. If anyone has any OTHER ideas, I would love to hear them...I'm stumped! I know the phone is several generations old, but I love it and can't afford to get a new one (even as an upgrade), so please don't suggest I just bail on it and get a new one. THANKS!!

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
I have had a wifi problem since ios 6
it will cut out and have to be re-enabled
when watching youtube ! it does not do this on any other video service.
this will happen at random intervals
and repeatedly, sometimes it will let me
watch a whole 10 minutes uninterruptedly!

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums mobile app

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
INTERNET BUNDLE NOW