Getting control of auto sync activity.

bugeyed

Dec 10, 2011
Visit site
Every time I launch the iPhone calendar, I see network activity. I do not want this app to auto sync & am not using Google calendar, so I don't know what it is doing??? Actually I am trying Week Calendar , but it is synced to the iPhone calendar, so I see the network activity when I launch it.
BTW I am just trying to get control of when my phone accesses the network. I am trying to disable as much of this activity as I can & still be functional. I don't like these hidden activities like the "auto send diags & usage".

Thanks,
kev

anon(157335)

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
I always assumed that it was syncing with iCloud. Try turning the calendar option off in the iCloud settings and are if it still accesses the network.

jalba3

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Have you ensured that all other apps are closed? For example, if I'm sending an email with a large attachment, exit, and go into another apple app, I see spinning asterisk since it is still sending the email

bugeyed

Dec 10, 2011
Visit site
Have you ensured that all other apps are closed? For example, if I'm sending an email with a large attachment, exit, and go into another apple app, I see spinning asterisk since it is still sending the email

Yeah. Every time I launch calendar, the stock iPhone app, I get the indication. It's just a short period, but I have attempted to turn off everything that should require syncing via a network. I would think that I should get no network activity at all! As I said, I am just trying to get a handle on this phone & understand & control any such activity. Maybe a trip to the genius bar is in order?

kev

impaler

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Why does this matter to you? If you have Exchange or iCloud set up, it will always attempt to refresh every time you open the calendar, just as mail does. I realize you don't have iCloud set up, but those are the reasons I can think of.

bugeyed

Dec 10, 2011
Visit site
Why does this matter to you? If you have Exchange or iCloud set up, it will always attempt to refresh every time you open the calendar, just as mail does. I realize you don't have iCloud set up, but those are the reasons I can think of.

I mentioned, why it matters to me! I am trying to get a handle on data usage & want to plug any holes that I don't want. Mainly, I want to understand when this phone communicates with the outside world when I don't initiate a connection. Once I understand how this system works, I can better choose what functionality I want. If I had unlimited data I may not be so vigilant, but as it is, I want to be in control! If that's really possible in an Apple/Smartphone ecosystem????

Cheers,
kev

impaler

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
If you want to be in control entirely, you'll be disappointed with iOS. they've gotten better, but iOS trades user control for simplicity and usability. If you want to control every aspect of data usage, I can't think of any mobile platform that lets you, but Android Or jailbroken iOS might be a better fit for you. Or I'm sure the jailbreak community would have some apps that give you more control.

bugeyed

Dec 10, 2011
Visit site
If you want to be in control entirely, you'll be disappointed with iOS. they've gotten better, but iOS trades user control for simplicity and usability. If you want to control every aspect of data usage, I can't think of any mobile platform that lets you, but Android Or jailbroken iOS might be a better fit for you. Or I'm sure the jailbreak community would have some apps that give you more control.

I understand what you are saying. If I can understand what is going on in the background I will be happy, I think. That's basically the control that I am talking about. I am not ready to jailbreak the phone yet. I am running custom ROMs on an Android device & am not prepared to deal with buggy code on my phone. A tablet is a different story though. I will probably experiment with my iPod Touch if I decide to try jailbreaking.
I am new to the iPhone & smartphones in general, so there's a lot to learn & I am enjoying several forums in the process.

Cheers,
kev

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods