Strangely high data use?

lytefall

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
I know that coming from BB my data is going to be higher since its no longer compressed but I had no idea it would be this much higher. I have read all the keys to optimizing data use but I have still used over 200mb since I activated the phone 3 days ago! I turned off notifications, before I lock the phone I double tap home and close all apps, I turned off push email and location services. I havent even downloaded an app or song ota yet. I did it all on computer and then synced them over. I haven't streamed Any music or videos.

Any ideas short of turning off my data service altogether? I only have a 1GB data plan. At this rate I am on par to top 2GB easily with just Internet and iMessage use? Surely I must be missing something.

lytefall

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
So, after doing some tests I have figured out that with normal internet browsing (using viewing this forum), I opened and read 2 threads over the course of 1 min at 5 different times today. Each 1 min period my usage data says I used between 1.2-1.5mb of data. Is this normal? If so, does an app like tapatalk use less data than going through safari?

I used 14mb last night alone in 3hrs before I went to sleep, just browsing a couple websites....no apps that require data, no email use, no streaming media, no imessage. No data use overnight, and none today as I am on wifi while at work.

I have read alot of posts around the internet of alot of iphone users suddenly using exponentially more data recently (speculation centers around the ios5 upgrade). Has anyone found ways to remedy this? Apple doesn't really seem to be acknowledging theres any issues so I assume theres no fix coming?

Last edited:

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
Apps are more data efficient than websites on Safari which could be loading animations, video content, and all kinds of interactive stuff which needs to be moved over the network. Use apps and not Safari.

But that usage seems normal to me.

lytefall

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
So about 2.1GB per month for just Internet and app usage is normal? I am glad I don't stream any music or video content or I would be bankrupt with overage charges. I have read so many comments from people streaming data along with Internet use and not going over 1GB i dont know how they ate doing it

I knew I was gonna use more data with iPhone than blackberry but never counted on it being more than 10x as much with no change in Internet use habits

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
If you are concerned you could try using the wifi when you are able to- that will cut down on your data through the network- I am lucky to be grandfathered into the unlimited but my friend at work isnt and just keeps it on wifi when he has it available to him-

stoneland

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
For me personally 2GB is the "extreme" end for me. I never really get close to that, though (99% of the time I am on 3G). If you use Safari a lot that could be the culprit. Apps like Pandora will also use a lot of data.

Calineil

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
Data Usage Solution ?

Hi all, just been reading through this thread as I'm on a bit of a Data Usage quest myself and I think I've found a quick solution.

Seeing as the phones go into cellular mode when they are in sleep mode, so they instantly start processing any data as cellular data, make sure your email and notifications are on manual only instead of auto-fetch but also, go into:

Setting > Location Services

Scroll to the bottom and look for System Services

Turn off the options for Diagnostics and Usage
Turn off the options for Location Based iAds
Turn off the options for traffic

I had the very same issue as so many seem to be having with extra high data usage through the night, around 70 - 80Mb which was killing my 200Mb data plan initially setup as I use an approx 90% WiFi connection. We've now already upgraded my plan to a 3Gig plan to avoid over-use and extra charges but now finding these settings, the phone barely uses 300Kb in any one day.

Something to try and would love to hear any more feedback if this helps you all too ;)

Neil

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Hi all, just been reading through this thread as I'm on a bit of a Data Usage quest myself and I think I've found a quick solution.

Seeing as the phones go into cellular mode when they are in sleep mode, so they instantly start processing any data as cellular data, make sure your email and notifications are on manual only instead of auto-fetch but also, go into:

I had the very same issue as so many seem to be having with extra high data usage through the night, around 70 - 80Mb which was killing my 200Mb data plan initially setup as I use an approx 90% WiFi connection. We've now already upgraded my plan to a 3Gig plan to avoid over-use and extra charges but now finding these settings, the phone barely uses 300Kb in any one day.

Something to try and would love to hear any more feedback if this helps you all too ;)

Neil

can you also verify if by doing the above saves battery consumption?

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site

Neil
I currently have location based iAds & setting time zones turned off. I however have diag&usage and traffic ON. What exactly do those do if i turn those 2items to OFF?

Bazza1

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
Worth noting too that any 'free' apps you have that include ad banners - these ads also produce a drag on your data. Maybe not huge, but it does accumulate.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods