Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Beginner

Default Where are my ringtones?

I added 6 custom ringtones (all with m4r extension) via itunes, but can't seem to find them anywhere on my phone? I am a iPhone newbie. Can I get a little help....what am I missing? Thanks
    iPhone Nanite

iOS Version
    iOS 5.0.1

If you sync them correctly thru your itunes you can find all the ringtunes you added on;

Settings > Sounds > Ringtone or Text Tone and it should be there with the same file name it was saved as.
  3. Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  
    iMore Beginner

I added them with the m4r extension to my ringtones folder but they don't shoe up in my ringtone folder. I followed steps I found online to do it but can't figure out what I am doing wrong
    iMore Elite

Global Posts
    3,367 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by lytefall View Post
    I added them with the m4r extension to my ringtones folder but they don't shoe up in my ringtone folder. I followed steps I found online to do it but can't figure out what I am doing wrong
    After you change the file extension from .m4a to .m4r delete the original .m4a file from iTunes. Then drag the new .m4r file from explorer into iTunes and it should show up in the ringtones section.
  5. Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  
    iMore Beginner

Ok. It was downloaded from a website with ringtones optimized for iPhone. As far as I am aware the file extension was already m4r when I downloaded it. I will check again though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    iPhone Nanite

iOS Version
    iOS 5.0.1

following up what sting7k said. On your itunes make sure you see "Tones" under Library on the left, sometimes by default it's not shown.

Secondly, when you plug in your iphone click on it and tab over to tones if you set it on sync manually, you might have to click on the ringtunes to add then sync.
    iPhone Nanite

Default Re: Where are my ringtones?

I downloaded a couple of ring tones to my iPhone but can not find them anywhere on my iPhone
    iPhone Nanite

I downloaded ring tones from I- tunes and can't find them anywhere on my iPhone

Global Posts
    11,433 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Settings>> Sounds>> scroll to what you want to change... tap the current selected tone - you then get a list of what's on your phone - scroll to the "Ringtones" section - any tones loaded via iTunes correctly will show up in the list under "Ringtones" above the stock ones.
    Keith - iMore Moderator - The Mobile Nations/iMore Forum Rules
     iPhone5 on VZW;  iPad(2012) - wifi with BadElf for GPS
    "When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser." -- Socrates
    iPhone Nanite

After much trouble, I finally got the ringtone I wanted onto itunes, into the tunes folder. It shows on itunes that it's on my phone, it's been synced, but when I go on my iphone to the ringtone folder it's not in there. :/
    Any suggestions?
    iPhone Nanite

Default Where are my ringtones?

I have given up on that since iOS 6 my tones have disappeared. I sync the same way so I don't understand what happened.
    iPhone Nanite

If JB, you should try Unlimtones
    iMore Nanite

I had the same problem and I realized when I was synchro.nizing my iPhone, the sound section wasn't selected so it was not synchronizing.