Should I upgrade from my iPhone 4?

ErikWithNoC

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
Hello everyone! I'm currently using an iPhone 4 on AT&T and I recently played with a Galaxy Nexus at Verizon after watching a lot of videos on it (I just had to play with one). I must say, I loved the screen from the short amount of time I used the phone and loved the interface of Android 4.0. Prior to Android 4.0 I would've turned a blind eye at anything Android related, but Google did a tremendous job making Android visually satisfying as well as smooth and consistent with Ice Cream Sandwich. I've been using iOS for awhile now and have always jailbroken my phones because iOS is missing some things without it. The Galaxy Nexus just seemed very nice (although I dislike the backing of the device) and I'm not sure if it's just the allure of something different since I'm so used to iOS (which I'm finding to be stagnant) or if its because its that much better.

I guess I would like to hear anyone's experience with the device, especially if they upgraded from an iPhone 4 as well. The biggest complaints I've heard about the phone are the sub par camera, the build quality, wifi issues, multitouch problems, and battery issues (this one worries me). Upgrading to the SGN would cost me quite a bit, probably around $650 dollars. I'm thinking I could sell my phone off for about $250-$300 making the price slightly more bearable.

Few of the things I liked while playing with it:

* Increased screen size with high pixel density
* Ice Cream Sandwich has a very futuristic feeling to it and I absolutely love the look of it
* Seemed very fast
* Camera took very fast photos
* Full screen browser was amazing (so much more content)
* Face unlock
* Live wallpapers (is this a big battery drain?)

So from a purely objective opinion (not a biased one, although I suppose that is impossible to avoid) do you think its worth the price for me to upgrade to a Galaxy Nexus from the iPhone 4?

Thank for you for time in answering my question(s), I really appreciate it!

E_Brown

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
I thought about the SGS, because im kind of board with my phone, but decided it wasn't for me. Here are my reasons. battery life. I need to get a full 14 hours. Screen too big. I actually thought it was harder to type on it, and that it took too much effort. Size. It felt like a monster in my pocket. And the final reason is I hate how android comes out with new devices all the time. I like to have the latest and greatest, and just can't afford to keep up with android. And because they come out with so many phones, the resale value on them isn't nearly as high as iPhone.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

ErikWithNoC

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
I thought about the SGS, because im kind of board with my phone, but decided it wasn't for me. Here are my reasons. battery life. I need to get a full 14 hours. Screen too big. I actually thought it was harder to type on it, and that it took too much effort. Size. It felt like a monster in my pocket. And the final reason is I hate how android comes out with new devices all the time. I like to have the latest and greatest, and just can't afford to keep up with android. And because they come out with so many phones, the resale value on them isn't nearly as high as iPhone.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

I did some more research on the battery problems and it seems to be exclusive to the LTE variant of the Galaxy Nexus, so that might end up not being a problem in my case. Plus, my iPhone 4's battery is actually pretty bad. I'm not quite sure why, but it just drains like crazy (I drains a lot even when the screen is not on). The screen didn't feel to big to me (maybe I have big hands), but then again I didn't get to really hold the device like I would have. I guess Verizon thought it would be funny if they put a zip tie around the middle of the freaking phone :mad: (making the screen much harder to use).

I agree about the resale value. iPhone's hold their value quite well, while Android phones tend to drop faster. As for the latest and greatest, one could still feel that sting even with an iPhone. They will see android phones coming out with compelling features (like the SGN in my case) and think their tech is out of date, but that isn't uncommon in the tech industry. The Nexus phones at least only come out once a year and get the quickest updates (the nexus from last year already got Ice Cream Sandwich).

rushnp774

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Your choice is ultimately up to you, but I think you'll be happy keeping your iPhone 4. Siri is immensely fun if you can get it :)

If you decide to sell it, you may check out Tech Orchard (new member & can't post links). They buy old iPhones & iPads and will pay top dollar and will even donate the money to a charity if you'd prefer a tax write off! I've used them before and can highly recommend them.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
It's up to you really. All your points are all opinion that will vary with each person except for it taking faster photos. Really you just need to decide if it is worth the money to upgrade right now. For me personally the screen is too large and for that reason alone I would never buy one. Everything else are all just filler for me.

So you have to decide if facial recognition unlock (will be on every phone eventually) , more speed (what do you need that speed for?), a full screen browser (you can get these in the App Store for the iPhone), and a futuristic UI are worth the cost. For me personally I would rather spend the likely $300 net cost on something more than to have those few things on my phone.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox