Color Conversion

jonmark

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
There's this guy here in town who owns an iPhone repair shop, and he does some customizing and stuff. He does color conversions for the iPhone to any color you want, you can even mix and match the front and back colors and the buttons and even the stainless steel antennae .. Went to talk to him today just to get a price, and I just want a simple black to white iPhone 4 conversion .. He said he would do it for 100 bucks.

What do you guys think? Do color conversions usually go over ok, has there been any reported issues when you do that? .... I imagine this guy knows what he's doing since he's been in business doing that for a while. What about that price? Steep or reasonable for that type of thing? Just looking for some opinions, thanks in advance.

StaticFX

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
In my opinion. Steep. U can do the back for 15 bucks and 5 minutes. The front is harder and more money. But I don't think 100 is worth it.

jonmark

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
I was kinda thinking the same about the back being so cheap, I almost asked him how much he would charge to just install it if I ordered the housing myself, cuz I know I can get the parts pretty cheap.

joe_fresh

Trusted Member
Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
In my honest opinion if the phone is still in warranty i would leave it stock. you take the risk of voiding any warranty.

Tpence2177

Trusted Member
Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
In my honest opinion if the phone is still in warranty i would leave it stock. you take the risk of voiding any warranty.

Agreed apples warranty is to nice to pass up on. But afterwards if you want a different colored iPhone I say go for it. Might be a little expensive but it saves yourself some heartache of doing it yourself

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

StaticFX

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
You can safely and easily replace the back yourself. It's 2 screws. Buy the back and the screwdriver kit. If u need to have warranty work, just put the original one back on.

jonmark

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
The handset I'm using now I got from Best Buy like, 2 or so months ago, I didn't buy the black tie program they offered - just curious does it automatically come with a warranty from Apple? Or is that purchased separate?

Tpence2177

Trusted Member
Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
It comes with a one year warranty from apple automatically. If your home button fails ( like mine did) or you have any other defects apple will replace it no problem. If you really want to change the color I would suggest like earlier mentioned change the back and then if you have problems change it right back and take it to your closest apple store.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

E_Brown

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
I personally wouldn't pay $100 for a black to white color conversion. I would sell my black one in craigslist and then buy the white one, or post to see if someone will trade. Maybe throw in a couple bucks. It would probably cost less and the quality of real apple parts are much better. The aftermarket glass is really a lot cheaper.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

jonmark

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Awesome, thanks for all the tips. I'm gonna go ahead and pass on the color conversion and just stick with what I got. I might just shoot for a protective color skin to put on there. Since I still have practically a year in the warranty I don't want to risk losing that.

Mike Seamster

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I had my wife's iPhone converted to pink, the front and back for 100.00 dollars. I researched the prices of the parts, which generally are around 60 bucks. So I bought parts and labor together for $100 total. I think that's a fair deal. I'm converting mine to all blue! Have at it

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73