Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    110 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Question Overnight charging - Battery hot and down to 75%

Okay, this is a bit strange now. I normally leave my iPhone plugged in over night. Several sources suggest that's not a problem. I've had my phone for half a year and this is the fist time I've had an issue.

This morning, having left it on cable over night, I woke up to a battery that was at 75%, and the phone felt unusually hot. (if it were a child, you might suggest it has a fever ). It definitely was on 100% earlier last night, I checked that because I had done a battery cycle. Unplugging the phone cooled it down.

I've had battery issues since Monday, after upgrading to ios 5.0.1 last week Friday.

So far I've ascertained the following from this and other forums:

- overnight charging is not a problem
    - Someone suggested that the battery will go to 100%, then stop charging, and if there are apps active, they will drain the battery
    - a hot battery is not normal
    - restoring from a backup after a 5.0.1 upgrade can cause the battery drain problems, and I should set up my phone as new and sync rather than restore the backup

I'm willing to do another restore and set it up as 'fresh', but maybe someone has other suggestions for me?

By the way, during the time it took me to write this post on my iPad, the iPhone battery dropped from 75 to 65, doing nothing.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    4,862 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6 and 5

Check the location settings it might be constantly on its under location settings and is a bug see if that helps. .. Or maybe just a coincidence u need a new battery I have see them expand and warp the main board so keep a eye on it

Sent Into Orbit from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
  3. Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    110 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Location settings have been off for two days. I noticed the purple pointer next to 'Setting Time Zone' and turned that off but it didn't make much of a difference. Funny thing though, the iPad shows exactly the same behaviour in Location Services but without battery drain. In fact, my iPad's battery life seems extraordinary compared to my iPhone even on a good day...
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    4,862 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6 and 5

My iPad has the same issue I turned it off and battery improved .. It not as noticeable because iPad it a bigger battery...

If that's not it I would restore from iTunes and set up as a new phone and see if that helps
    if not could be a physical battery issue .. How old it your 3GS ?
    if your out of warranty already
    battery's are like 5 bucks and takes about 10 min to swap its about 7 screws after the 2 bottom screws

Sent Into Orbit from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
  5. Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    110 Global Posts
    iOS Version

It's an iPhone 4, half a year old

I'm busy with a restore, going to set it up as a new one and let it charge to 100%, then see what happens.
    iMore Elite

Global Posts
    2,461 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Whenever you see abnormal battery drain or a "hot" phone your first instinct should be to restart the device, by holding power and home until it you see the apple logo.
  7. Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    110 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I've done so many restarts these last few days it's not even funny anymore

Anyhow, I did a full restore this morning (GMT+2), and set up my device from scratch. Went into LS and turned off Time Zone Setting, and my battery drain seems to be back to normal. Will give it a day or two to see exactly how my normal usage pattern is impacting the device.
    iPhone Newbie

It can be because of the automated iCloud backup via Wi-Fi