Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ProfessorTripp
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Beginner

Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default How to hold iPhone when shooting a video?

I never really shoot videos, but tonight I was at a festival and shot some videos. I was holding the phone sideways with the volume buttons facing the sky. When I view the videos on my iPhone, it looks fine. I transferred them to my PC and when I play them it's upside down. Am I holding the phone upside down? Also when I shoot from the normal position, as in when texting, the video is sideways. I then have to rotate it in VLC to view em.

Is there an app or PC app that I can rotate these videos and save them for normal viewing?

Thanks.
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    122 Global Posts

iPhone uses a nonstandard tag for picture and video orientation. The only way to make sure photos and videos are right side up is to hold the phone with the buttons on the bottom when in landscape mode. You can correct picture EXIF data after the fact to fix upside down pictures, but I'm not sure about videos.

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    5,020 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Another thing to keep in mind: The orientation is set when the video begins—so if you start in portrait but then switch to landscape one second after you start shooting, the final video will still be all portrait.
    iPhone Nanite

slightly odd, it feels natural to have the button on top right like a camera would for the new start stop (the plus button)
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    596 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by Julesw View Post
    slightly odd, it feels natural to have the button on top right like a camera would for the new start stop (the plus button)
    Yes, I agree there. Going to have to remember this haha
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by LSglock89 View Post
    Yes, I agree there. Going to have to remember this haha
    Yes! Thank you for the message.It is so benefit!
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    629 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I love the fact that the new iPhone 4S commercial shows the user shooting a landscape photo with the volume buttons on top.
    Thanked by:
    verwon (11-09-2011)
    cinco312 likes this.