Anyone with Verizon upgrade from iPhone 4 to iPhone 4s?

Johnny-5

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Im just wondering if its worth it? It sucks VZ just came out with the I4 this feb and now the 4s is out. Im just wondering if its worth the upgrade. Im locked down for another year but have another line with a phone upgrade coming up. Was thinking fo switching them out but not sure if I want to.

I really like the Siri feature on it and if I was able to get that for the iPhone4 I think than i would be somewhat content. I know there are pretty big changes like the Dual-Core and 8MP Camera and of course Siri. Anyways just wanted some of your advises if its worth the jump.

Thanks

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
Im just wondering if its worth it? It sucks VZ just came out with the I4 this feb and now the 4s is out. Im just wondering if its worth the upgrade. Im locked down for another year but have another line with a phone upgrade coming up. Was thinking fo switching them out but not sure if I want to.

I really like the Siri feature on it and if I was able to get that for the iPhone4 I think than i would be somewhat content. I know there are pretty big changes like the Dual-Core and 8MP Camera and of course Siri. Anyways just wanted some of your advises if its worth the jump.

Thanks

I have some users and a family member who made that move. One says it was totally worth it for the marginally better antenna. All appreciate the camera. They're split over Siri. They're split over whether or not the phone seems much faster in most circumstances.

Maybe this will help you. My Verizon 4 has iOS 5, and Verizon's still sending me messages saying I can upgrade a line and I've not yet done that. Jump to more storage and camera would be my reasons if I even do it. An iPhone 4 remains one of the best phones regardless. Others I know with the 4 are holding off for as much as a year hoping for larger screen, NFC and LTE. That also weighs on my hesitation to run out and get 4S.

jlb21

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
For me, it was a no brainer (switching from a berry). The 4 was $99, minus my NE2, minus some other statement credits I negotiated with big red, and I "netted" the 4 for $35. The 4S would have ended up being about $135 for me (after taxes).

Johnny-5

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I have some users and a family member who made that move. One says it was totally worth it for the marginally better antenna. All appreciate the camera. They're split over Siri. They're split over whether or not the phone seems much faster in most circumstances.

Maybe this will help you. My Verizon 4 has iOS 5, and Verizon's still sending me messages saying I can upgrade a line and I've not yet done that. Jump to more storage and camera would be my reasons if I even do it. An iPhone 4 remains one of the best phones regardless. Others I know with the 4 are holding off for as much as a year hoping for larger screen, NFC and LTE. That also weighs on my hesitation to run out and get 4S.

That is true you figure they would at least make the phone LTE by this release? As for the other stuff those were some good pointers. I was wondering myself if it was alot faster or not. As for storage I think Im pretty good with the 32gb. Camera is always good to have better but everything has to make sense to upgrade or not. Larger screen would be nice as well. I saw my friends Droid and its screen size was pretty impressive!

Johnny-5

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
For me, it was a no brainer (switching from a berry). The 4 was $99, minus my NE2, minus some other statement credits I negotiated with big red, and I "netted" the 4 for $35. The 4S would have ended up being about $135 for me (after taxes).

Blackberry to iPhone was night and day. I used to love the BB but once I transitioned Ill never go back to BB. To many issues with those phones. As for pricing the I4 was a good move.

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
That is true you figure they would at least make the phone LTE by this release? As for the other stuff those were some good pointers. I was wondering myself if it was alot faster or not. As for storage I think Im pretty good with the 32gb. Camera is always good to have better but everything has to make sense to upgrade or not. Larger screen would be nice as well. I saw my friends Droid and its screen size was pretty impressive!

Large screen isn't everything. I went from Droid X to iPhone 4. A few apps drove that and I haven't looked back.

Most of my users with LTE phones complain of poor battery life or the time to turn the radios on or off with widgets but some are very passionate about them. They are tweakers, geeks, other labels could apply.

Don't take what I said as a put down on the 4S. It's great but I'm not spending $2 - $300 on a phone quite like what I have before I max my 2011 retirement contributions, or before I assess the importance of some other spending because my 4 is great.

taylorh

May 24, 2004
www.gadgetech.info
I'm not on Verizon, but I upgraded from the AT&T iPhone 4 to the 4S. I'm almost regretting it.
The camera is significantly better and I'm glad for that. The phone is faster meaning web pages render faster (yay.) I got 64GB which is another reason I upgraded, but did I REALLY need it? No I could have survived with 32GB for another year. Siri is fun, but at this point it's still beta and I find it pretty useless most of the time because it still can't do a whole lot.. at least not what I want it to do. I think it's going to take time and several software upgrades for Siri to really become useful (possibly about a year.)

All that is great, but the battery life on the 4S is significantly worse than on the 4.
Maybe it's different for Verizon users, but the AT&T version seems to have a maybe 1/2-2/3 the battery life of the iPhone 4. I've had to start carrying around a charger again like I did when I had the 3GS, a practice I got stopped having to do with the 4.

So if you have an iPhone 4, you should be happy with it and hold out for the next one. That's my advice.
Or, hopefully Apple figures out why the battery life is worse and fixes it in a software update soon. As far as I'm concerned, the "better battery life" is false advertisement. One reason I wanted the 4S was for even better battery life and I get worse.

Last edited:

Johnny-5

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Large screen isn't everything. I went from Droid X to iPhone 4. A few apps drove that and I haven't looked back.

Most of my users with LTE phones complain of poor battery life or the time to turn the radios on or off with widgets but some are very passionate about them. They are tweakers, geeks, other labels could apply.

Don't take what I said as a put down on the 4S. It's great but I'm not spending $2 - $300 on a phone quite like what I have before I max my 2011 retirement contributions, or before I assess the importance of some other spending because my 4 is great.

Interesting never heard about the poor battery life on LTE's. Good to know. My managers phone I believe its a Droid but the screen on it and the coloration was pretty impressive. Dont get me wrong the Iphone4 is great to. I would love to have a bigger size screen but as you mentioned isnt everything!

I am happy with the I4 as well and was just curious if it was a good jump to fork out more money for a phone that I havent even had for a year yet. It does hurt paying the price even if its upgrade pricing. I may opt to wait it out and see. I do like the siri on it though. Would love to have a way of porting it onto the I4 would be nice.

Johnny-5

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I'm not on Verizon, but I upgraded from the AT&T iPhone 4 to the 4S. I'm almost regretting it.
The camera is significantly better and I'm glad for that. The phone is faster meaning web pages render faster (yay.) I got 64GB which is another reason I upgraded, but did I REALLY need it? No I could have survived with 32GB for another year. Siri is fun, but at this point it's still beta and I find it pretty useless most of the time because it still can't do a whole lot.. at least not what I want it to do. I think it's going to take time and several software upgrades for Siri to really become useful (possibly about a year.)

All that is great, but the battery life on the 4S is significantly worse than on the 4.
Maybe it's different for Verizon users, but the AT&T version seems to have a maybe 1/2-2/3 the battery life of the iPhone 4. I've had to start carrying around a charger again like I did when I had the 3GS, a practice I got stopped having to do with the 4.

So if you have an iPhone 4, you should be happy with it and hold out for the next one. That's my advice.
Or, hopefully Apple figures out why the battery life is worse and fixes it in a software update soon. As far as I'm concerned, the "better battery life" is false advertisement. One reason I wanted the 4S was for even better battery life and I get worse.

Wow thanks for all that info! Glad to hear it from someone who has the phone first hand to state its issues. When you state that its faster. Is it alot faster? Camera Im sure is way better as its 8MP. Im constantly playing with the phone, text, surfing, etc so I wear down the battery life pretty quick. to know if I had the I4S and its worst thats definitely a reason to hold off. Like you I do like the bigger 64GB but will I really be using it all.....probably not anytime soon. lol

taylorh

May 24, 2004
www.gadgetech.info
Wow thanks for all that info! Glad to hear it from someone who has the phone first hand to state its issues. When you state that its faster. Is it alot faster? Camera Im sure is way better as its 8MP. Im constantly playing with the phone, text, surfing, etc so I wear down the battery life pretty quick. to know if I had the I4S and its worst thats definitely a reason to hold off. Like you I do like the bigger 64GB but will I really be using it all.....probably not anytime soon. lol
Perhaps I'm premature in dogging the 4S battery life. I try to be careful not to judge an iPhone batter in under 10-14 days of use because I know the battery life improves with each charge cycle as the battery 'breaks in.' Maybe I'm exaggerating but it seems like I get almost 1/2 the battery life when the phone is new than I do after 2 weeks of use.
Just today with 3 hours of heavy use the battery did not drop as fast as I had expected and seen in the last week so I think suddenly I hit that magic moment where the battery is holding a better charge now.
My wife and I also noticed times where the phone got warm and just ran the battery down for no reason. But I think this has more to do with iOS features (iCloud, etc.) than the 4S. It's just coincidental that we switched to iOS5 when we got new phones, so perhaps we'd be complaining of the same thing on the 4.
This here Troubleshooting a battery-sucking iPhone 4S | Macworld sound very much like the type of issue we saw.

Soo, maybe the 4S battery really isn't all that bad. Maybe it really is still pretty good. I think the jury is still out. I don't think it'll ever be as good as the 4, but may not be bad.

When I talk about faster web page rendering, it seems nearly twice as fast. It's especially nice on larger more complicated web pages. And on smaller mobile site's is just really snappy. I really appreciate it, but the iPhone 4 was no slouch.
The camera is noticeably better in every way. From taking usually blurry free pictures of my kid (always moving) which were always blurry on the iPhone 4, to being able to take pictures in more challenging lighting.
I'm attaching a picture I took at a Foo Fighters concert. This is the first time I've ever taken a camer phone picture worth looking at. The iPhone 4 can't do this good. Download the full image and zoom in to see the detail. I was actually blown away at how good the picture looked. And the video I took is pretty darn good too (and doesn't sound horrible.) Now the picture isn't necessarily spectacular. But for a phone in lighting this challenging, it's pretty darn good.

So.. Maybe I'm not regretting it, but I do think holding out until the next iPhone is the way to go. Otherwise you're just wasting money upgrading early or burning an upgrade you'll wish you had next year when I really believe we'll see an LTE iPhone with perhaps upgraded screen.

totallygone

Oct 3, 2009
Visit site
I am not upgrading to the 4S. I have the 4 and love it. Next upgrade will be when there is a change in form factor. Higher resolution camera, Siri, 64GB and A5 processor are not enough to get me to do an upgrade.

taylorh

May 24, 2004
www.gadgetech.info
OK, so now I'm officially recanting my battery performance complaint of 4S.
While not as good as 4, I believe it's pretty close. Somewhere between tweaking some settings and "breaking in" the battery, it's charge holds up to my use quite nicely now.
So don't base your decision solely on that. I felt it responsible for me to say this.

That being said, my recommendation still holds. Unless you're itching for a true point and shoot replacement, 64GB storage, Siri, or web pages loading a few seconds faster, I would hold off.
The camera was my biggest reason. I really wanted to not have to ever worry about picture quality at this point in my child's life (and having to have a point and shoot handy.)
Otherwise on a day to day basis, I don't really notice it being much different than the 4 (it's all just gravy.)

sunrat39

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
I am in the same boat. I bought a Droid X when i joined verizon, sold it when the 4 came out for verizon and I have an early upgrade available BUT I don't think it is worth the upgrade. Yes, we know siri is awesome, and yea the camera is much better. HOWEVER, the lack of LTE is what really made the decision for me in not getting it. I actually think it's good that they didn't because the battery life would suck, plus for me I don't have LTE in my area yet. So, by the time 5 (6?) comes out I should have LTE available PLUS my NE2 will kick in and I will get a discount. I think waiting in my case will be the best bet. Just know that when the 5 comes out it (hopefully) will be a bigger advancement than 4 to 4S, So, I say wait it out until 5.

Last edited:

d0ster

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I will be upgrading from the 4 to the 4S in Nov. I have a sweet little deal worked out with my mother in law where I use her upgrade (about a year apart contract wise between mine and hers) and give her whatever phone I was using, in this case, the 4. So I get to upgrade every year. But on point, Siri is the biggest feature for me to upgrade because of how much useful it could be for me and my line of business. Followed closely by the camera.

Swarm

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I sold my iphone 4 that I got last feb and got the 4s is freaking sweet, I had to use a droid x2 while I was waiting for the new iPhone to come out and it was terrible IMO. I do not regret getting the 4s. Now that being said I sold my 4 for 400 bucks before everyone knew the phone was being released and before the market got flooded with every one trying to sell their iPhones. I'm pretty sure the value for the iPhone 4 has gone down a bit now, I got lucky for two reasons, 1. I sold my phone at the right time while the value was high and 2. My brother had a droid x2 for me to use so I didn't lose my unlimited data plan and phone number. I paid full retail for the 4s so really I only came out of pocket like 250 and didn't extend my contract or anything so next year when they release another iPhone I will have an upgrade available.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
I will be upgrading from the 4 to the 4S in Nov. I have a sweet little deal worked out with my mother in law where I use her upgrade (about a year apart contract wise between mine and hers) and give her whatever phone I was using, in this case, the 4. So I get to upgrade every year. But on point, Siri is the biggest feature for me to upgrade because of how much useful it could be for me and my line of business. Followed closely by the camera.

I have a similar deal except I got 4 lines so I always get a upgrade and someone gets my previous phone

Sent Into Orbit from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2