Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 31
Like Tree3Likes
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    JAYNOOK's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    3 Posts

    Default Found an iPhone 4, is there anyway I can use it?

    Before you say "RETURN IT YOU LITTLE THEIF" i have tried. my father found it on the train as he works on them everyday. he turned it in and after 30 days of no one claiming it they said it was his. i currently have an android phone for att but would like to use this one if possible. i tried restoring it via itunes but i keep getting error message 3194. it has a password so i cant look at the contacts and call a number. any help on getting it restored would be greatly appreciated.
  2. #2  
    kch50428's Avatar

    Posts
    11,015 Posts
    Global Posts
    11,896 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.0

    Default

    It has in all likelihood been reported as lost to the carrier, and it's MEID has been placed on a list that will DENY it from ever being activated again on that carrier. It may be possible to use internationally but that would be it.

    In other words, there would be NO use of it domestically as anything other than an iPod.
    Keith - iMore Moderator - The Mobile Nations/iMore Forum Rules
     iPhone5 on VZW;  iPad(2012) - wifi with BadElf for GPS
    "When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser." -- Socrates
  3. Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  
    JAYNOOK's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    3 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kch50428 View Post
    It has in all likelihood been reported as lost to the carrier, and it's MEID has been placed on a list that will DENY it from ever being activated again on that carrier. It may be possible to use internationally but that would be it.

    In other words, there would be NO use of it domestically as anything other than an iPod.
    is the meid the same thing as the imei?
  4. #4  
    Speak's Avatar
    iPhone Newbie

    Posts
    14 Posts
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kch50428 View Post
    It has in all likelihood been reported as lost to the carrier, and it's MEID has been placed on a list that will DENY it from ever being activated again on that carrier. It may be possible to use internationally but that would be it.

    In other words, there would be NO use of it domestically as anything other than an iPod.
    If it is CDMA, it can be activated on Cricket Wireless with jailbreak/unlock.

    GSM, it can be activated on T-Mobile if carrier blocks. Is there any reason you can't SIM swap with iphone4/android as long as the android phone uses microSIM?

    Edit: IMEI is similar to, but not the same as MEID. IMEI is on most mobile devices, International Mobile Equipment Identity - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia while MEID is strictly on CDMA devices Mobile equipment identifier - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia .

    I heard apple/att are very strict about NOT allowing devices themselves to be blacklisted, but have no personal experience/first-hand knowledge about it.
    Last edited by Speak; 10-23-2011 at 08:23 PM.
    Thanked by:
  5. #5  
    andrewsmith's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    128 Posts
    iOS Version
    6.0

    Default

    put it in dfu mode and completely restore it as a new device to get rid of the password. then you should be able to use it if it's GSM (idk about CDMA)
    Unibody Macbook Pro 2.26 - Lion - AT&T Black/Slate iPhone 5 16GB - ATV2 - Airport Express - Magic Mouse

    Follow me on Twitter @andrewasmith
  6. #6  
    takeshi's Avatar
    iPhone Intermediate

    Posts
    299 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,607 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JAYNOOK View Post
    Before you say "RETURN IT YOU LITTLE THEIF" i have tried. my father found it on the train as he works on them everyday. he turned it in and after 30 days of no one claiming it they said it was his.
    I don't see where you tried to return it to the carrier. Turning it into the train lost & found isn't trying.
  7. #7  
    JohnH59's Avatar
    iPhone Intermediate

    Posts
    390 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,053 Global Posts

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by briareus View Post
    I don't see where you tried to return it to the carrier. Turning it into the train lost & found isn't trying.
    Agree, return it to the carrier. They can determine the owner and return it.
  8. #8  
    Peligro911's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    4,873 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,922 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6 and 5

    Default

    Im not here to discuss morals ..Yup dfu mode and restore ... Prob can't use it thou if it's Verizon ... AT&T you should be fine


    Sent Into Orbit from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
    Thanked by:
    CH1N087 and DavidinCT like this.
  9. Thread AuthorThread Author   #9  
    JAYNOOK's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    3 Posts

    Default

    so i got it restored and its a gsm so i think i should be good? i keep hearing att can block the imei but not sure if its true anyone have any knowledge on this?
  10. #10  
    Peligro911's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    4,873 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,922 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6 and 5

    Default

    I would try a sim and see if it works


    Sent Into Orbit from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
  11. #11  
    jonmark's Avatar
    iPhone Intermediate

    Posts
    270 Posts
    Global Posts
    399 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6

    Default

    Had a similar experience a while back ... In order to check if it's been blacklisted, just check the IMEI of the iPhone, which can be found in the settings -> general -> about ... Google search to check IMEI numbers of phones, which is what I did, and entered the IMEI number in a few different sites that came up. None of them listed the IMEI as being blocked, reported lost or stolen ... So I went ahead and activated the iPhone without any problems. Been using it for almost a year now.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle

    Follow me on Twitter: JonMarkCarmona
  12. #12  
    Speak's Avatar
    iPhone Newbie

    Posts
    14 Posts
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnH59 View Post
    Agree, return it to the carrier. They can determine the owner and return it.
    Having worked as an indirect sales agent for Verizon, the carrier won't do anything other than add the device to the lost/stolen list. I had a number of good samaritans attempt to return their (non-apple, I quit before iphone) devices to me, and all we could do (and the internal support phone # as well) was report it as stolen. It was claimed to protect the personal information of whomever the phone belonged to, but I am inclined to think that it was more to boost device sales/insurance claims.
    alpinestars1z likes this.
  13. #13  
    jacobtt33's Avatar
    iPhone Nanite

    Posts
    2 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JAYNOOK View Post
    so i got it restored and its a gsm so i think i should be good? i keep hearing att can block the imei but not sure if its true anyone have any knowledge on this?
    Hey JAYNOOK,

    I'm in the same pickle... how did you manage to restore the phone with a passcode?

    - J
  14. #14  
    noaim's Avatar
    iMore Specialist

    Posts
    1,468 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,494 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jacobtt33 View Post
    Hey JAYNOOK,

    I'm in the same pickle... how did you manage to restore the phone with a passcode?

    - J
    Put it in dfu mode and restore it..


    Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk
    I answer questions to the best of my knowledge if im wrong please correct me
  15. #15  
    Bias X's Avatar
    iPhone Pro

    Posts
    595 Posts
    iOS Version
    6.0

    Default

    About the whole blacklist thing. AT&T is extremely strict or simply just doesn't care. I tried to blacklist my blackberry after it was stolen. The local corporate store didn't even know what blacklisting was. After escalating it on 611. The manager/ higher up just simply told me it wont happen.
  16. #16  
    jacobtt33's Avatar
    iPhone Nanite

    Posts
    2 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by noaim View Post
    Put it in dfu mode and restore it..


    Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk
    Hey thanks for your response, but it won't allow me to restore because it's not from the administrating computer...
  17. #17  
    furygoalbrtis39's Avatar
    iPhone Beginner

    Posts
    82 Posts
    Global Posts
    264 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    5.0.1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jacobtt33 View Post
    Hey thanks for your response, but it won't allow me to restore because it's not from the administrating computer...
    Putting it in dfu mode should bypass the administrative security


    Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk
    iPhone 4 16 GB White iOS 5.1.1 w/ Carbon Fiber Phantom Skinz
    iPad 1st Gen 16 GB iOS 5.1.1 w/Brookstone keyboard case
  18. #18  
    BryanTheRed's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    364 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,074 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.0

    Exclamation

    Quote Originally Posted by Offensive Bias View Post
    About the whole blacklist thing. AT&T is extremely strict or simply just doesn't care. I tried to blacklist my blackberry after it was stolen. The local corporate store didn't even know what blacklisting was. After escalating it on 611. The manager/ higher up just simply told me it wont happen.
    AT&T and most GSM carriers world wide will not black list lost or stolen phones. CDMA carriers appear to be the only ones who black list IMEI/ESN numbers on lost and stolen devices. I don't want there to be any confusion about this, AT&T will NOT black list the phone!
    "Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." - John Wayne
     iPhone 6 Plus Space Gray (64GB) iPad Mini White (16GB) Mid 2014 MacBook Pro 
  19. #19  
    Macboy74's Avatar
    iPhone Nanite

    Posts
    8 Posts
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    Latest 5.1

    Default re:

    If you return it to the carrier they restore it and sell it.
  20. #20  
    Fausty82's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    8,597 Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 7.1 b5

    Default re:

    Quote Originally Posted by mritalian View Post
    If you return it to the carrier they restore it and sell it.
    Absolutely not true...
    Curmudgeon and Former Member/Participant
    iPhone 5S / iPad Mini Retina / 15" MacBook Pro Retina
  21. #21  
    kch50428's Avatar

    Posts
    11,015 Posts
    Global Posts
    11,896 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.0

    Default re:

    Quote Originally Posted by mritalian View Post
    If you return it to the carrier they restore it and sell it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fausty82 View Post
    Absolutely not true...
    They'll part it out to refurb other phones...
    Keith - iMore Moderator - The Mobile Nations/iMore Forum Rules
     iPhone5 on VZW;  iPad(2012) - wifi with BadElf for GPS
    "When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser." -- Socrates
  22. #22  
    djogie's Avatar
    iPhone Nanite

    Posts
    1 Posts

    Default re:

    My ex girlfriend and I had a bad break up and she canceled my iphone 4s and reported it stolen. I called bell to see if there was anything I can do they said no because the phone was under her name it doesn't matter that I was the one who paid for everything. with that being said and done i have an iphone 4s I cannot use nor have the knowledge or know how to unlock it. With this being said and done I want to sell it, or seek advice on how to get my phone operational again. I am asking for $300, but will be willing to go cheaper because the back of it is smashed, the front of it however is in mint condition.
  23. #23  
    kch50428's Avatar

    Posts
    11,015 Posts
    Global Posts
    11,896 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.0

    Default re:

    Quote Originally Posted by djogie View Post
    My ex girlfriend and I had a bad break up and she canceled my iphone 4s and reported it stolen. I called bell to see if there was anything I can do they said no because the phone was under her name it doesn't matter that I was the one who paid for everything. with that being said and done i have an iphone 4s I cannot use nor have the knowledge or know how to unlock it. With this being said and done I want to sell it, or seek advice on how to get my phone operational again. I am asking for $300, but will be willing to go cheaper because the back of it is smashed, the front of it however is in mint condition.
    The fact the device is reported stolen to a carrier makes it difficult to activate again - you might be able to get some $$ out of selling it to a 3rd party repair service for parts use...
    Keith - iMore Moderator - The Mobile Nations/iMore Forum Rules
     iPhone5 on VZW;  iPad(2012) - wifi with BadElf for GPS
    "When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser." -- Socrates
  24. #24  
    funnel1's Avatar
    iPhone Nanite

    Posts
    1 Posts

    Default re:

    I actually found a Verizon iphone and took it to the dealer. The person I spoke with told me that the person will most likely not get the phone back if I turn it in. He told me to keep it.
  25. #25  
    GulfCoastToad's Avatar
    iMore Beginner

    Posts
    73 Posts
    Global Posts
    75 Global Posts

    Default re:

    Quote Originally Posted by JAYNOOK View Post
    Before you say "RETURN IT YOU LITTLE THEIF" i have tried. my father found it on the train as he works on them everyday. he turned it in and after 30 days of no one claiming it they said it was his. i currently have an android phone for att but would like to use this one if possible. i tried restoring it via itunes but i keep getting error message 3194. it has a password so i cant look at the contacts and call a number. any help on getting it restored would be greatly appreciated.
    If you really want to return it to the rightful owner, put up a Craigslist ad with the details. The owner will have to confirm the pass code.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Where are all the 128g iPhone 6+ in Gold????!!!!
    By jenaviveuk in forum iPhone 6 Plus
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 09-27-2014, 03:51 PM
  2. Does the iPhone 6 bend?
    By hockey1299 in forum iPhone 6
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 09-27-2014, 12:50 PM
  3. What is the average gigabyte usage per movie on Apple tv?
    By iMore Question in forum Ask a Question
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-25-2014, 08:23 PM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-25-2014, 08:08 PM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-25-2014, 07:12 PM

Posting Permissions