Found an iPhone 4, is there anyway I can use it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JAYNOOK

Banned
Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
Before you say "RETURN IT YOU LITTLE THEIF" i have tried. my father found it on the train as he works on them everyday. he turned it in and after 30 days of no one claiming it they said it was his. i currently have an android phone for att but would like to use this one if possible. i tried restoring it via itunes but i keep getting error message 3194. it has a password so i cant look at the contacts and call a number. any help on getting it restored would be greatly appreciated.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
It has in all likelihood been reported as lost to the carrier, and it's MEID has been placed on a list that will DENY it from ever being activated again on that carrier. It may be possible to use internationally but that would be it.

In other words, there would be NO use of it domestically as anything other than an iPod.

JAYNOOK

Banned
Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
It has in all likelihood been reported as lost to the carrier, and it's MEID has been placed on a list that will DENY it from ever being activated again on that carrier. It may be possible to use internationally but that would be it.

In other words, there would be NO use of it domestically as anything other than an iPod.

is the meid the same thing as the imei?

Speak

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site

If it is CDMA, it can be activated on Cricket Wireless with jailbreak/unlock.

GSM, it can be activated on T-Mobile if carrier blocks. Is there any reason you can't SIM swap with iphone4/android as long as the android phone uses microSIM?

Edit: IMEI is similar to, but not the same as MEID. IMEI is on most mobile devices, International Mobile Equipment Identity - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia while MEID is strictly on CDMA devices Mobile equipment identifier - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia .

I heard apple/att are very strict about NOT allowing devices themselves to be blacklisted, but have no personal experience/first-hand knowledge about it.

Last edited:
Reactions: JAYNOOK

andrewsmith

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
put it in dfu mode and completely restore it as a new device to get rid of the password. then you should be able to use it if it's GSM (idk about CDMA)

takeshi

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
Before you say "RETURN IT YOU LITTLE THEIF" i have tried. my father found it on the train as he works on them everyday. he turned it in and after 30 days of no one claiming it they said it was his.
I don't see where you tried to return it to the carrier. Turning it into the train lost & found isn't trying.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Im not here to discuss morals ..Yup dfu mode and restore ... Prob can't use it thou if it's Verizon ... AT&T you should be fine

Sent Into Orbit from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Reactions: JAYNOOK

JAYNOOK

Banned
Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
so i got it restored and its a gsm so i think i should be good? i keep hearing att can block the imei but not sure if its true anyone have any knowledge on this?

jonmark

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Had a similar experience a while back ... In order to check if it's been blacklisted, just check the IMEI of the iPhone, which can be found in the settings -> general -> about ... Google search to check IMEI numbers of phones, which is what I did, and entered the IMEI number in a few different sites that came up. None of them listed the IMEI as being blocked, reported lost or stolen ... So I went ahead and activated the iPhone without any problems. Been using it for almost a year now.

Speak

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
Agree, return it to the carrier. They can determine the owner and return it.

Having worked as an indirect sales agent for Verizon, the carrier won't do anything other than add the device to the lost/stolen list. I had a number of good samaritans attempt to return their (non-apple, I quit before iphone) devices to me, and all we could do (and the internal support phone # as well) was report it as stolen. It was claimed to protect the personal information of whomever the phone belonged to, but I am inclined to think that it was more to boost device sales/insurance claims.

jacobtt33

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
so i got it restored and its a gsm so i think i should be good? i keep hearing att can block the imei but not sure if its true anyone have any knowledge on this?

Hey JAYNOOK,

I'm in the same pickle... how did you manage to restore the phone with a passcode?

- J

Bias X

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
About the whole blacklist thing. AT&T is extremely strict or simply just doesn't care. I tried to blacklist my blackberry after it was stolen. The local corporate store didn't even know what blacklisting was. After escalating it on 611. The manager/ higher up just simply told me it wont happen.

BryanTheRed

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
About the whole blacklist thing. AT&T is extremely strict or simply just doesn't care. I tried to blacklist my blackberry after it was stolen. The local corporate store didn't even know what blacklisting was. After escalating it on 611. The manager/ higher up just simply told me it wont happen.

AT&T and most GSM carriers world wide will not black list lost or stolen phones. CDMA carriers appear to be the only ones who black list IMEI/ESN numbers on lost and stolen devices. I don't want there to be any confusion about this, AT&T will NOT black list the phone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods