HDR option in camera?

Infiniti7

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
I have never used the HDR setting until today while talking a picture. What is the difference when it is on vs off? What does hdr even do? Couldn't tell that much of a difference

anon(157335)

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
Check out page 233 of the iPhone User's Guide. I'd copy and paste it here but I'm having problems for some reason.

I notice a big difference on my iPhone 4.

Last edited:

cutdacheck2003#AC

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
When to use HDR

Landscapes: A classic use of HDR in regular photography is on landscape shots with a bright sky above the horizon line and darker foreground below. iPhone 4 users who want to bring out more details in both parts of a landscape shot should turn on the HDR mode. One area that the iPhone?s HDR mode falls short is sunsets. In its attempt to lighten up the over-exposed sun, it also loses some of the beautiful red and orange coloring that makes the scene so stunning in the first place

Outdoor portraits: The midday sun?s harsh light usually makes for unflattering portraits. It can cast strong shadows on a person?s face and create dark circles around the eyes. It also bounces off of skin and accentuates shiny spots. The iPhone?s HDR setting can minimize the effect of these two extremes and create a more evenly lit portrait.

However, if the subject is completely back lit, the limited powers of HDR mode might not be enough to brighten their face. To shoot a usable back-lit portrait, first tap to focus on the darkest part of the person?s face. The background will become extrememly blown-out. After you take the shot, the final HDR photo will combine the properly exposed person with a slightly toned town background. (Many photographers use a fill flash in back lit portrait situations, but unfortunately the iPhone?s auto mode adjusts for the presence of the flash and skews too dark.)

Infiniti7

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
its funny because i have been fooling around alot with HDR today. I have never really used it for some reason don't know why. Here is what I see while using it.

*Taking pictures when the lighting is perfect/right the photo while HDR is on definitely looks brighter and lighter and you can see a difference in the HDR pic and the regular one

*taking pictures far away with HDR on the picture actually comes out darker than when the HDR is off

*also when HDR is on sometimes the pics come out with alot of white in them.

anyways what do you guys see when HDR is on and off?

cevmkv

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
HDR stands for High Dynamic Range
it is ") is a set of techniques that allow a greater dynamic range between the lightest and darkest areas of an image than current standard digital imaging techniques or photographic methods"

see article below...High dynamic range imaging - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

so with the iphone it is using the image processor to merge 3 exposures to get a higher dynamic range photo...

akmolin

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
I used it a lot at first and then turned it off but it def is great for concerts or things where lighting is dim and you dont want to use a flash

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods