Siri ported to iPhone 4?

gthugballin

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
don't mind him ^... he's just salty because he was claiming this could never happen last week, and then it did :).

I'm sure someday it may be available via cydia... but not sure if it will work since it requires a connection to apples server... so you might have to find a way to trick them into thinking you have a 4s.

It does seem that stroughtonsmith has asked his iPhone 4 some questions and received answers Twitter

also this

Did you ever RUN the old Siri app on the current hardware? It was not more than a technology demonstration, be was clearly a stripped down version.

The developer is on record stating that the 4S is the first hardware capable of running the app.

Why do you guys insist in seeing conspiracy and evil in the world? Your lives must be very sad indeed

Siri enabled on the iPhone 4 - YouTube

hmmm very sad indeed

Last edited:

cutdacheck2003#AC

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
Not sure if the iphone 4 would ever have enough under the hood to make siri fully functional. But I hope someone has a workaround for kicks and giggles.

Timhewitt

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
don't mind him ^... he's just salty because he was claiming this could never happen last week, and then it did :).

I stand by my statement that the developer made it very clear Siri will not run successfully on the older hardware, as well as my personal experience with the app store version.

I am also 100% AGAINST piracy as someone who makes my living developing software.

Nothing sad or salty about it d-bag. Sorry to hear you are a thief as well.

-t

redbeard

Mar 21, 2009
Visit site
How the **** is porting this to the iPhone 4 "piracy"??

Was enabling HDR on the 3GS, or video recording on the 3G piracy too?:rolleyes::rolleyes:

icebox93

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
The apple servers are why Siri will not work on the 4. That's what I was saying all along and as soon as they got Siri running on the 4 lo and behold apple servers don't let the phones in. It sucks but for now and likely for good, that's the way it is.

But Tim, the work done so far shows that Siri can work on the 4's hardware. And because of that, I don't think the developer was being truthful.

Genericmessage00

Jun 8, 2011
Visit site
Heh, we've covered this argument in at-least two different threads.
http://forums.tipb.com/iphone-4-forum/221260-siri-iphone-4-a.html
AND
http://forums.tipb.com/iphone-4-forum/220197-why-didnt-apple-give-ip4-users-siri-since-ram-confirmed-same-4s.html

People swore up and down that it wouldn't work (even some long-time users of these forums) due to hardware limitations, and blowing tons of hot air in the process. This has clearly been proven wrong. And is what I have (and some other rather smart people) have been saying all along: MARKETING!

As for it being "illegal" or "theft", that is pure ignorance.
Apple is selling you the glass without the water, and its a bunch of crap.

I really hope someone puts this into the 4. I'd jailbreak just for that.

And as for the name calling (d-bag)?
Please keep it out of here, we don't need that crap being thrown about in here.

gthugballin

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
I stand by my statement that the developer made it very clear Siri will not run successfully on the older hardware, as well as my personal experience with the app store version.

I am also 100% AGAINST piracy as someone who makes my living developing software.

Nothing sad or salty about it d-bag. Sorry to hear you are a thief as well.

-t

Lol, when did I say I support piracy? I was just pointing out that you were wrong, and siri does run on the iPhone 4. And from the video it looks like it runs pretty well. The only problem is that apples servers won't allow it to work... it has nothing to do with hardware.

I like how you resort to name calling :), just means you are salty. <3

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
Getting Siri to the iPhone without Apple doing it would technically involve piracy. Why? It would involve distributing copyrighted software (Siri) that is not owned by those doing the distributin or the receiving.

That doesn't mean Siri CAN'T run on the iPhone 4, as a video has shown it works pretty nicely, but since most the heavy lifting is done on Apple servers, it's up to Apple to let the data through.

gthugballin

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Getting Siri to the iPhone without Apple doing it would technically involve piracy. Why? It would involve distributing copyrighted software (Siri) that is not owned by those doing the distributin or the receiving.

That doesn't mean Siri CAN'T run on the iPhone 4, as a video has shown it works pretty nicely, but since most the heavy lifting is done on Apple servers, it's up to Apple to let the data through.

I'm not trying to be argumentative, just simply asking a question... If the software is free is it still piracy?
I mean how do you steal something that is free?

^^
nvm that.. i guess since the software isn't meant for the iPhone 4 then it is stealing. Kinda like if someone made you a gift and someone else took it.

but back to the original statement.. .iphone 4 hardware can run siri, i don't think thats up for debate anymore.

Last edited:

icebox93

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Correct gthugballin, the software is controlled by a license, which details what you can and can't do with it. As I understand it, the Siri files are not installed on anything but the 4S, so to get the files on the 4, you have to use the files in a way that apple doesn't sanction. And that involves making unauthorized copies of the files, a clear case of software piracy. But if the files are on the device, but not enabled, like HDR support was on the 3GS, enabling the service is also a licence violation, though I wouldn't call that piracy. That's hacking. :)

Genericmessage00

Jun 8, 2011
Visit site
ah... well thanks for making that clear... if only apple put siri in the 4 firmware and just didn't enable it lol

What keeps coming to my mind is that they "SHOULD" have.

I use should in the context of "man that would be nice if apple was more keen on making my device better every day than trying to sell more devices through shady marketing."

But then again, apple wouldn't have billions and billions of dollars (350?) if they did that.
But that is apple's MO; buy a company or use existing technology and re-brand it, tell everyone it's their idea and it's new, and it sells like hotcakes (and I freaking LOVE hotcakes).

But I will put this on my phone the second it is available.

***EDIT***

And didn't apple show voice control as one of the 200+ improvements to iOS?

If so, isn't that false advertising to give them to only a few? And not the all it said?

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77