Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Nanite

Global Posts
    156 Global Posts

Default Sprint Upgrade Question on iPhone 4

OK, I was about to order an iPhone off the Apple site when I noticed it said it gave you onscreen instructions to activate which would deactivate you previous phone. I am a Sprint Premier customer, and a WebOS user, and gave my upgrade that I would have lost earlier in the year due to Sprint cannibalizing the Premier program to my daughter. When the phone came in, I simply clicked on the activate new phone line on her line instead of mine and it worked fine and I kept using my Pre. Now my daughters line is available for her upgrade so I planned to use it to get the iPhone for myself. However I just talked to someone on Sprints website and they said it can't be done, the new phone has to go on her line. I intially thought this was just BS, but now am wondering if there is some system in place now that will prevent it from being upgraded on my line as opposed to hers?

Sorry if this is a newbish question, I just want to make sure I can use it!
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    413 Global Posts

Not sure on that, but it wouldn't surprise me either. I was a launch day pre- owner and got an Evo to tide me over to get a new pre3 (I know I know I can dream can't I). So now I looked into getting a 4s and go back to apple. With all the changes Sprint has done to the premiere program I hoped at least they would allow early upgrades on this. That came to a crashing fail on Sprint. The earliest I can get the better pricing is now April 1st (yes April fools day). So unless they get their collective **** out of that swing. Jumping to someone else might be a good thing.
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    55 Global Posts

sprint is really ****ty about using another line on your for an upgrade. Probably just one of those lame policies from old sprint that never changed. It makes no sencse if you pay for phone and sign 2 year contract, you should be able to do what you want with it. You can sell the phone to some one else, so you should definitely be able to use it for another line.

what you might have to do is upgrade to new iphone on your daughters line then after a day or so, have them switch the service back to the her evo. Then a day or two after that call sprint and do an ESN change on your line to the new phone. Whatever you do, during any of the calls do not mention that you are trying to use the other lines upgrade. This should work
  4. Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  
    iPhone Nanite

Global Posts
    156 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MaestroX6 View Post
    sprint is really ****ty about using another line on your for an upgrade. Probably just one of those lame policies from old sprint that never changed. It makes no sencse if you pay for phone and sign 2 year contract, you should be able to do what you want with it. You can sell the phone to some one else, so you should definitely be able to use it for another line.

what you might have to do is upgrade to new iphone on your daughters line then after a day or so, have them switch the service back to the her evo. Then a day or two after that call sprint and do an ESN change on your line to the new phone. Whatever you do, during any of the calls do not mention that you are trying to use the other lines upgrade. This should work
    I was kind of afraid I'd have to do this. No big deal, just a pain. I'm going to bite the bullet and make the order, and then when it comes in see if I can do the upgrade on my line. If it doesn't work then I'll try your suggestion.

Thanks!
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    4,312 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Some reps will do it right away, in 24 hours, but the policy is that it's supposed to stay on the upgraded line for 30 days.

Mistress of Mischief