IPhone 4 ATT without data plan?

jtredsox

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
I have an ATT account but am currently grandfathered from having a data plan. If I buy an iPhone 4 from a friend (who wants to upgrade to a 4s) can I still use the phone with my current "no data" plan? My wife has an iPhone and a data plan so I don't feel like adding $25 a month to an already $130/ month bill.

Will I be able to use the iphone Internet on wireless?

Can I use the same sim card that I have in my blackberry?

Thanks in advance to anyone that can help!

Last edited:

davjaxn

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
If you want to use the iPhone on AT&T you will need a data plan. They require it. You can, of course, not activate the iPhone and use it as an iPod touch-like wifi device.

As for the SIMM, unless it is a micro-SIMM as used in the iPhone 4 it will not fit. You can get a SIMM cutter to trim it down to size though.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
If you want to use the iPhone on AT&T you will need a data plan. They require it. You can, of course, not activate the iPhone and use it as an iPod touch-like wifi device.

As for the SIMM, unless it is a micro-SIMM as used in the iPhone 4 it will not fit. You can get a SIMM cutter to trim it down to size though.

No data plan? AT&T (and all other carriers) will add one to your account for you.

jtredsox

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site

Then why is there such a huge market for used iPhones? I just don't get it that there is wifi everywhere so I can live without data just don't want to carry a phone and iPod everywhere anymore.

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
If you want to use it with AT&T you can get a free sim from any store. But whether you cut your own or get a new one, they WILL be able to tell you're using an iPhone and WILL force you to get a data plan.

davjaxn

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Then why is there such a huge market for used iPhones? I just don't get it that there is wifi everywhere so I can live without data just don't want to carry a phone and iPod everywhere anymore.

There is a huge market for used iPhones so people can use them either on pay-as-you-go with AT&T (it should be noted that AT&T does not allow using the iPhone with pre-pay but it doesn't mean it cannot be done), use them wthout a contract on a regular AT&T plan istead of purchasing a costly new, off contract or unlocked iPhone from Apple or even unlock them to use on T-Mobile (which is what my brother is currently doing with a first gen iPhone).

AT&T requires a data plan with any "smart phone" used on their network.

jtredsox

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
Like I said before I am currently grandfathered from having a data plan. I shut off data on my phone shortly before AT&T forced you to get a data plan with a smartphone. That was when I had a Samsung Blackjack II. When that broke I bought an aftermarket Blackberry 8820 (Oct 2010), and was able to use the phone without having a data plan. When I bought the BB, data plans were mandatory and the AT&T site immediately recognized that I changed phones but they didn't force me to have a data plan.

I'm not sure if I'm laying out the story clearly enough, but maybe I shoud take my wife's iphone 3GS, stick in my SIM card, and see what happens. I guess that would be the fastest way to find out.

timtoggs

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
This might be unrelated, but I thought it was cool. I currently have an iPhone and a customer gave me a cheapo Nokia phone after they upgraded. I thought it would be an awesome idea to bring this phone camping so I didn't have to worry about breaking my iPhone.

So a friend of mine gave me an adapter for a micro SIM card. A little plastic piece that fits the iPhone SIM so you can put it into any other phone.

Instead of cutting down your current SIM card, go activate an iPhone SIM (they might charge ya though) then buy one of these adapters from eBay.

Just a thought.

jtredsox

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
Like I said before I am currently grandfathered from having a data plan. I shut off data on my phone shortly before AT&T forced you to get a data plan with a smartphone. That was when I had a Samsung Blackjack II. When that broke I bought an aftermarket Blackberry 8820 (Oct 2010), and was able to use the phone without having a data plan. When I bought the BB, data plans were mandatory and the AT&T site immediately recognized that I changed phones but they didn't force me to have a data plan.

I'm not sure if I'm laying out the story clearly enough, but maybe I shoud take my wife's iphone 3GS, stick in my SIM card, and see what happens. I guess that would be the fastest way to find out.

Update...I replaced the sim card on my wife's 3Gs and the phone worked fine, I was able to text, and the wifi worked perfect also. No message from AT&T threatening to put me on a plan...yet

cdbeshore

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
I had an iPhone 3GS that we weren't using anymore. It still had 18 months on the contract. I worked with the ATT cancellation center and they removed the data plan from it to keep the account. You have to talk to them as they have more options at their disposal than the regular reps. They also let me put one of the old 200 messaging plans that they don't advertise anymore.

takeshi

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
Clarify "aftermarket". Was it at&t branded? If the system recognizes the IMEI then you will have a data plan automatically added. What you describe is not grandfathering. You dropped the data plan before they changed the requirements but that isn't grandfathering. You're still subjective to mandatory data plans.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner