Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    puja_g's Avatar
    iPhone Nanite

    Posts
    7 Posts
    Global Posts
    224 Global Posts

    Default Generic charger hurting my iPhone?

    I recently switched from an HTC Inspire to the iPhone 4, needless to say, I'm quite happy with it.

    I felt like I needed a longer sync/charge cable, so I bought a KHOMO branded 10ft cable.. But I feel as if my phone doesn't work as good? Like when trying to answer a message it takes me multiple tries to unlock the phone... Could the charger be making my phone not work as good as it should?

    I'm sorry if this is a dumb question or has been asked before
  2. #2  
    paul-c's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    204 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,528 Global Posts

    Default

    I would stick to the Apple charger.
  3. Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  
    puja_g's Avatar
    iPhone Nanite

    Posts
    7 Posts
    Global Posts
    224 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by paul-c View Post
    I would stick to the Apple charger.
    I was thinking the same thing, but the cord isn't long enough and I hate feeling like I wasted money on something I can't even do anything with :S
  4. #4  
    ProfessorTripp's Avatar
    iPhone Intermediate

    Posts
    204 Posts
    Global Posts
    629 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by puj89 View Post
    I was thinking the same thing, but the cord isn't long enough and I hate feeling like I wasted money on something I can't even do anything with :S
    Pick up a USB extension cable.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  5. #5  
    kikideath's Avatar
    iPhone Beginner

    Posts
    60 Posts
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts

    Default

    I'm not familiar with the KHOMO brand, but as it was said I would stick with Apple branded accessories if possible. I do know that apple sells a 10 foot third party cable at the Apple Store, so at least it's one they would deem up to their standards.
  6. #6  
    MustangLife's Avatar
    iMore Expert

    Posts
    775 Posts

    Default

    They might possibly be hurting your idevice. But generic chargers tend to just not be as strong as Apple or name brand chargers. Its the amps is what charges it. Apple,Griffin,etc are great brands and high quality. I wouldn't worry about it. The generic chargers tend to just be weaker with less amps and charge slower.
  7. #7  
    Genericmessage00's Avatar
    iPhone Intermediate

    Posts
    109 Posts
    Global Posts
    134 Global Posts

    Default

    The only thing it's hurting is apples bottom line.


    Never had a problem with non apple branded cables
  8. #8  
    pilsbury's Avatar
    iMore Pro

    Posts
    524 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,806 Global Posts

    Default

    I have two Belkin wall chargers and am very happy with them.
  9. #9  
    diamonddialogue's Avatar
    iPhone Intermediate

    Posts
    250 Posts

    Default

    I had some generic car charger, and it ended up somehow tinkering with my 30 pin connection, making me have to take my phone back to Apple and have them replace it. They specifically told me that it was the connection I was using.
  10. #10  
    Eileen89's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    5,873 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,460 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pilsbury View Post
    I have two Belkin wall chargers and am very happy with them.
    Same here, only I have one. Never had a problem with it or my iPhones yet.
  11. #11  
    sting7k's Avatar
    iMore Elite

    Posts
    2,976 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,889 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by puj89 View Post
    I recently switched from an HTC Inspire to the iPhone 4, needless to say, I'm quite happy with it.

    I felt like I needed a longer sync/charge cable, so I bought a KHOMO branded 10ft cable.. But I feel as if my phone doesn't work as good? Like when trying to answer a message it takes me multiple tries to unlock the phone... Could the charger be making my phone not work as good as it should?

    I'm sorry if this is a dumb question or has been asked before
    The charger will not cause that, that is a bug in iOS 4.3.x which I also have. As long as it's outputting the same power as the Apple charger it is fine. You could just get a USB extension cable.
    puja_g likes this.
  12. #12  
    icebox93's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    190 Posts
    Global Posts
    250 Global Posts

    Default

    I have a cheap 6 foot cable i got at amazon that i use with the standard apple adapter, and have no charging issues. The only problem i've seen with it is that it is less well built, but in term of how it charges it's fine. I doubt that what sounds like a software issue is caused by a charger.

Posting Permissions