Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Nanite

Global Posts
    479 Global Posts

Default IPhone 4 on T-Mobile Factory Unlocked Questions

I plan on getting an unlocked iP4S (factory unlocked from Apple).

My questions go out to anyone who is using factory unlocked iPhone 4 on Tmo. I plan on doing this. I could switch to a different provider but it will save me about a grand a year staying with my current provider (over Sprint, Verizon, and ATT).

I understand that it works only on Edge but is there anything else I will be missing? Will synching work fine with a Mac? Is it as easy as getting (cutting) a micro-sim?

Is the Edge network acceptable for using the map application? I understand that talk time greatly increases (to 14 hrs), so for me the tradeoff will be worth it, as I am not a huge data hog. Has anyone experienced this huge increase in talk time?

Feel free to comment if there is something I am truly missing out on and if there is a reason I should go to a 3G provider.

Thanks for the help.
    iPhone Beginner

I am currently on Tmobile with my iPhone 4. You lose your visual voicemail and you are on edge speeds when you are not on wifi. Edge is pretty fast where I am at in the bay area. For surfing email and anything web related. But streaming videos is next to impossible. I use the opera mini browser and the Puffin browser which are pretty fast on edge. All my apps work perfectly on edge. No more talking and surfing unless you are in wifi. I am on the fifty dollar unlimited talk text and web prepaid plan. The map application works fine and any other location app. With a lot of carriers throttling you to edge speed after so much data I feel like this was a wise decision because most people are going to try to wifi as much as possible now and I have a clear hotspot that I use most of the time it is my main Internet. You will have no problem Syncing you phone.
  3. Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  
    iMore Nanite

Global Posts
    479 Global Posts

Thank you very much for the quick feedback. I feel the same way about data. I use 5000 mins a month voice and get a great deal on tmobile like you. I would say > 90% of the time I use data I am in a wifi area so not a huge deal. Also, since I am on a BB, I am sure Edge with an iPhone 4S will seem blazing fast.

Do you just get text notifications for voicemail?
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    1,004 Global Posts

sprint has unlmited so u might want to go with sprint
    Just remeber: If I helped you or you think my comment was funny, Thank me

Rest in Peace STEVE JOBS
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    39 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by caymancroc View Post
    I plan on getting an unlocked iP4S (factory unlocked from Apple).

My questions go out to anyone who is using factory unlocked iPhone 4 on Tmo. I plan on doing this. I could switch to a different provider but it will save me about a grand a year staying with my current provider (over Sprint, Verizon, and ATT).

I understand that it works only on Edge but is there anything else I will be missing? Will synching work fine with a Mac? Is it as easy as getting (cutting) a micro-sim?

Is the Edge network acceptable for using the map application? I understand that talk time greatly increases (to 14 hrs), so for me the tradeoff will be worth it, as I am not a huge data hog. Has anyone experienced this huge increase in talk time?

Feel free to comment if there is something I am truly missing out on and if there is a reason I should go to a 3G provider.

Thanks for the help.
    T-Mobile USA now offers micro-SIMs in-store so don't bother cutting. T-Mobile's EDGE network is pretty fast, as they are upgrading their towers with better backhaul and waiting for approval from the Department of Defense in many areas to turn on HSPA+. If you are in a 3G zone, then you should have very fast EDGE speeds anyway. The average I've clocked here is about 300Kbps, so it's pretty fast (but YMMV).

That being said, the maps application will take about half a minute to two minutes to download data on Android. Since the iPhone Maps application does not require as much data, I'd expect it to max out at half a minute in download time to work properly. I'd expect about 10 to 15 seconds of download time to load maps, unless a lot of data is already pre-cached.
    iPhone Beginner

Do you just get text notifications for voicemail?

A notifications comes up that says new voicemail and the options to listen now or later which I believe was the way it was on att. When you hit vm it dials your number and you hear the message. Since prepaid doesn't have call forwarding you can't use YouMail which would give you back your visual vm. But not such a problem. My edge speeds are pretty fast also but I carry a Clear hotspot with me when I am out and at home (my only Internet). So I get unlimited 4g data at all times. For fifty dollars a month for unlimited talk (no more counting minutes) and text and fifty dollars for Clear's unlimited data without throttling I am truly happy. Even though Sprint is 70 dollars for unlimited everything you only get 450 minutes for landline calls which believe it or not there is still quite a few people who have them. Still counting minutes and let's see how long Sprint stays unlimited. Verizon advertised this also when they got the iPhone and now they are not unlimited and for ones who are on unlimited are being throttled
    iPhone Beginner

You cannot get a micro-sim if you are on prepaid but go on eBay and get a sim cutters some as low as five dollars. It is real easy cutting the sim card I just placed a micro sim over my sim card and cut it that way.
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    39 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jeans94621 View Post

You cannot get a micro-sim if you are on prepaid but go on eBay and get a sim cutters some as low as five dollars. It is real easy cutting the sim card I just placed a micro sim over my sim card and cut it that way.
    Actually, you can get microSIMs for prepaid. You just have to ask in-store or over the phone. iTunes Sync is independent of the network you chose if it is an unlocked model. Only locked models of the iPhone 4S will have issues with sync if you aren't using the proper network.