iOS 5 GM "SMS Mailbox full"

matteagle

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Hi, This is my first post on here but I'm hoping you can help. I am running the iOS 5 GM version and have no problems sending texts but I haven't received any, at first I thought people weren't replying but now I know I'm not getting them.

Whenever I send a message I get "Your SMS mailbox is full. New messages cannot be received until you delete some messages" (yes i have already deleted the messages, that doesn't help)

When I restart the phone I get all the texts with notifications but then nothing again till I restart. I've also done a network reset. I thought this was fixed a couple of betas ago.

Ideas?

matthewRoderick

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Same Problem Here

Installed the GM last night, and I can use iMessage with other iOS 5 users, but I can't receive texts unless i restart and then as soon as i reply I get the "SMS Mailbox is Full" message, though I know it's not. I gather I'll need to reinstall iOS 5 again. Any other ideas?

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
Were you ever jailbroken? When you installed iOS5 did you do setup as a new device or restore from a backup?

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
Try restoring as new, see if that clears out the issue. If so, your backup has something "funky" with it ( yes, that's the technologically savy term for it ) and you'll just have to re-setup your device :(

ej00262

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
Roderick I'm having the same issue. I installed a dev beta for iOS 5 a few weeks back and had the same issue as well. Tried shutting down, restoring and reinstalling the beta, different versions, blah blah but nothing worked. I finally just resolved to downgrade back to iOS 4 and revert my iTunes back as well. That is until 2 days ago when I read a post on Lifehacker about being able to "Upgrade to iOS 5 now". The possibility enticed me again, so this time I got the GM and reupdated my iTunes and restored my iPhone (as backup) with iOS 5. Literally everything else works but receiving texts. I have no music on it and only ~50 apps so space surely couldn't be a problem. I'd love to know what the resolution is to the problem. I can't imagine the official version being released next week and having the same issues, but I don't understand what will be different in 5 days

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
I can't imagine the official version being released next week and having the same issues, but I don't understand what will be different in 5 days

If you take it to an Apple store, they might be able to help ( once iOS 5 is officially released ), but chances are they'll tell you to set it up as a new device and re-sync your music, photos, apps afterwards...you'll lose texts, email settings, wifi settings, game states, etc, but you should at least have working text messages.

lizheilbro

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
same problem

i am having the same problem as you, i called an apple rep (unhelpful) eventually i reset my networks and turned my phone off and it worked, for about an hour. now it is giving me the same error message, so i called apple again (still unhelpful) he said i could either call my provider- at&t, or just go into the store. i turned off the imessages and still can't figure it out

puncherca

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
I am keep getting that message too. ugh any word on a soluation?

i am having the same problem as you, i called an apple rep (unhelpful) eventually i reset my networks and turned my phone off and it worked, for about an hour. now it is giving me the same error message, so i called apple again (still unhelpful) he said i could either call my provider- at&t, or just go into the store. i turned off the imessages and still can't figure it out

Alidees

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
I'm having the same problem receiving messages with the same error code and receiving the texts after rebooting iPhone 4...tried calling AT&T (India) support and was no help...anyone that can help it would be greatly appreciated

thecureforhope

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
I joined this site just to write this message This is incredibly annoying! I never had this issue, then I installed iOS 5 last night and now I need to manually delete all my messages? It's like having a ****ty flip phone from the 90's... you need to constantly clear it out to make room?

And when I delete messages it doesn't start resending! I need to restart my phone. What a piece of **** update. It's back to iOS4. The updates aren't worth the hassle. What an incredible **** up.

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
I suggest restoring your device as a NEW phone ( not restoring from backup ). You'll lose all your old texts and settings, but likely it was a problem migrating your settings ( for whatever reason ), this will fix that. It sucks, but sometimes it is what you have to do.

helpinghandz

Oct 15, 2011
Visit site
So, i was having the same issue but I figured it out.

Either it's a glitch, or ios5 just allows far fewer messages to be saved. I cleaned out SMS threads that were YEARS old (probably thousands of texts) and it did the trick.

If you're having this problem, I reco deleting a TON of message threads and restart.

I text like a maniac so i'm sure i was near the cap that was set for ios4, but i bet 5 lowered that cap by a substantial amount.

Good luck!

O_Mariscal4

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
SMS FULL, (to all)

I work as a sales rep, a customer came in with this issue.
she had restore her phone twice and even got it replaced by apple before she got referred to the store.
it is not a service provider issue, we did all the trouble shooting and the device still did not receive sms,
she also restored her phone like new with nothing on it and tried sending messages, after about an hour she wasnt able to receive any more messages.
she spent hours on the phone with tech support, at the apple store and even with apple tech support, and still wasnt working properly. this is all over the apple forums and i only saw 2 providers mentioned on there. anybody have an idea on how to fix it? please let me know!! :confused::confused:
thanks

techgrl2011

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
75,000 SMS Max

Unfortunately the new iOS 5 has put a max on the amount of SMS our iphones will hold. You literally have to go and delete them until you've freed up enough space to allow the new SMS to come through. I had the same issue, where I was only getting iMessages, but not SMS. I deleted nearly all my text messages (since I've had my iphone forever and I text ALL the time). Once I cleared all from my sisters, ALL my awaiting SMS came through. I could send messages, but I couldn't receive them. You'd think our expensive Apple SMART phone would be intelligent enough to handle this on it's own... but until there's a fix, get ready to "clear all" on your conversations