Internal memory question

phillies20

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
My brother is getting a used iPhone 4 this week. It's been restored to factory settings. My question is how much space does just the iOS and whatever apps come with the phone? He has about 40 apps he wants to load andhe isn't sure he will have enough space for music. He has 5 gb of music toload. Will it all fit?

Also, is it true that the phone will get slower with the more space u take up or it has nothing to do with speed??
Thanks

reckrab

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
My brother is getting a used iPhone 4 this week. It's been restored to factory settings. My question is how much space does just the iOS and whatever apps come with the phone? He has about 40 apps he wants to load andhe isn't sure he will have enough space for music. He has 5 gb of music toload. Will it all fit?

Also, is it true that the phone will get slower with the more space u take up or it has nothing to do with speed??
Thanks

All I can tell you is that I have a 16 Gig phone with a dozen or so apps, a couple dozen pictures, 75 ring tones, but no music. The phone has 12.85 Gb of free disk space left. Ram is at 245 Mb free. My Blackberry seemed to slow down when it got low on ram but I haven't experienced that with the IPhone 4.

Slyfi

TiPb Forum Staff
Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
Believe you me, if all he has is 5gb of music then he wouldn't any issue downloading 40 apps. My iphone 4 32 gb has (I'm actually looking at the numbers here): 13.7 gb of music, .22 gb of video, .53 gb of photos (around 300 5mp), 11.2 gb in apps, .06 gb of books (10 or so last i looked), .94 in other and 3.2 free.

All of that (if my math is correct) adds to 29.06 which infers either my 32gb of space is false or the ios system takes up 2.94 gb of space. not too shabby if i do say so myself!

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site

Thanks

While the phone is connected to iTunes it will tell you exactly how much space is free. The least he has is around 14.2GB of space total. The OS takes up around 600MB. The vast majority of apps are only a few MB in size; games and GPS apps with on board maps can be huge.

He has plenty of room for 5GB of music, hundreds of apps, and then some.

Is there a hard number limit anymore?

Last edited:

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
Believe you me, if all he has is 5gb of music then he wouldn't any issue downloading 40 apps. My iphone 4 32 gb has (I'm actually looking at the numbers here): 13.7 gb of music, .22 gb of video, .53 gb of photos (around 300 5mp), 11.2 gb in apps, .06 gb of books (10 or so last i looked), .94 in other and 3.2 free.

All of that (if my math is correct) adds to 29.06 which infers either my 32gb of space is false or the ios system takes up 2.94 gb of space. not too shabby if i do say so myself!

No, that is because storage capacities are reported by manufacturers in decimal notation. Computers can only read binary notation. So to a computer 32GB of space is really ~29GB.

phillies20

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
Thanks everyone for your responses. He is very happy.. he should have no problem with all his music.. and alot of the apps he wants are just really shortcuts to webpages and things not really big gps or game apps thanks.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner