Using GPS in low/no signal areas (hunting)

rjdangerous

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I'm looking to ditch my old broken screen gps I use for hunting. I found an app I really like the motion x. Let's you save maps for offline also but here lies the problem. The iPhone GPS will NOT work when in airplane mode. (like the droid can) I'm looking to use this in the woods where I get low signals sometimes and do not want to kill my battery searching for a signal. Does anyone know of an app that would jut turn off the network cell signal without being in airplane mode? The AT&T phone is easy because u could jut pull the sim card.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
I've found a way to make my iPhone4 work as a GPS in Airplane mode... with the addition of a BadElf GPS device. Right now, my iPhone is in Airplane mode, the BadElf is showing satellite lock, and a GPS diagnostics app shows accuracy at 32.5 feet.

Reactions: isdaako

brianmg

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
When traveling abroad, I have had success using the GPS on my iPhone 4 by only turning off Cellular Data (Settings-General-Network-Cellular Data toggle). In my case, I also set Data Roaming to off. This, in conjunction with any offline maps app (I used CityMaps2Go, which works well for basic maps w/o turn-by-turn directions), works just fine without having to turn on Airplane Mode.