Proximity Sensor Won't Work w/ OtterBox

jonmark

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
I've used about three different Otterbox Defender cases over the course of my iPhone 4, and have never had any problems. However, I recently purchased a white on white Otterbox Defender case and this seems to be the only Defender that has given me problems with the proximity sensor. When I'm on a call, it does not dim the screen. I don't know if it has anything to do specifically with the plastic part of the defender being white, versus all my other defender cases that are black on the plastic part. I don't know. Anyone else run into this problem by chance?

jonmark

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Hmm, interesting, I may give it a try. My iPhone is black, but maybe since the case is white it gives the same issue? I'll see what else I can uncover, thanks!

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Hmm, interesting, I may give it a try. My iPhone is black, but maybe since the case is white it gives the same issue? I'll see what else I can uncover, thanks!

In your OP I thought you meant white on white to mean that you had the white iPhone with the white case. I'm pretty sure that there is a difference in thickness between the white and black iPhone 4, with the white one being slightly thicker. If this is the case, it could be the reason why you are having an issue using the white case on your black iPhone 4.

Last edited:

jonmark

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Oh no, I meant white on white because the Otterbox Defender is two layered .. white silicone on white plastic ... versus all the other Defenders I have that are silicone on black plastic. I don't think that the thickness of the iPhone is the issue, as this Otterbox isn't designed specifically for the white iPhone 4, it was just made for the iPhone in general. I honestly don't know if it was even released before the white iPhone for, so the thickness of the iPhone wouldn't be a factor. I've been doing some more research, and it seems that it's the white plastic of the Defender that causes the issue with the iPhone (white or black iPhone).

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
Oh no, I meant white on white because the Otterbox Defender is two layered .. white silicone on white plastic ... versus all the other Defenders I have that are silicone on black plastic. I don't think that the thickness of the iPhone is the issue, as this Otterbox isn't designed specifically for the white iPhone 4, it was just made for the iPhone in general. I honestly don't know if it was even released before the white iPhone for, so the thickness of the iPhone wouldn't be a factor. I've been doing some more research, and it seems that it's the white plastic of the Defender that causes the issue with the iPhone (white or black iPhone).

I have heard of the white otterbox shells to cause issues with proximty sensor issues on any color iPhone 4. Not for all but many.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2