Adding words to dictionary

Se7enth Sinn#IM

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
With all this Hype around the iPhone how in the hell (not he'll) does it not have a freaking dictionary? Even ****ty ass BlackBerries have one. I do about 6,000 text per month and most of them contain yo, hell and ****... but i have to keep changing them from to, he'll and shot. I though the iPhone is supposed to add words that you commonly use? Is there an App for this or is it fixed in iOS 5?

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
Here's how to add words in iOS 4.

Go to Settings > General > Keyboard > International Keyboards
Click the ?Add New Keyboard?? button
Pick a new keyboard, such as Chinese ? Traditional (Pinyin)
Go back to the Keyboard setting page and a new option appears for ?Edit User Dictionary??
(Note: not all keyboards will necessarily enable this feature. I know that most of the Chinese keyboards do.)
You now can add custom words to your dictionary and they?ll appear along with the built-in words.

I believe there is an easier way to add words in iOS5, but I'm not sure how to do it yet. I remember reading somewhere that there is an easier way though.

Reactions: vietalogy

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
Or you can add custom words as contacts and iOS won't try to correct them.

I never thought about that. It's a good idea. Would you have to keep the words in the contacts though? That might get cluttered in the contacts page.

I've also read that if you type words in mobile Safari (i.e. the google search bar), X out the autocorrect before it changes the word it can add words too. However, I've heard that it's not as reliable as the keyboard trick.

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
I never thought about that. It's a good idea. Would you have to keep the words in the contacts though? That might get cluttered in the contacts page.

I've also read that if you type words in mobile Safari (i.e. the google search bar), X out the autocorrect before it changes the word it can add words too. However, I've heard that it's not as reliable as the keyboard trick.

It get's a little cluttered but really I only have a handful of words that I had to add because of the annoyance so really not that big of a deal.

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
It get's a little cluttered but really I only have a handful of words that I had to add because of the annoyance so really not that big of a deal.

I assume you could just add words in different fields on one contact to keep it less cluttered too. (first name, last name, email, address, etc.)

vietalogy

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Here's how to add words in iOS 4.

Go to Settings > General > Keyboard > International Keyboards
Click the ?Add New Keyboard?? button
Pick a new keyboard, such as Chinese ? Traditional (Pinyin)
Go back to the Keyboard setting page and a new option appears for ?Edit User Dictionary??
(Note: not all keyboards will necessarily enable this feature. I know that most of the Chinese keyboards do.)
You now can add custom words to your dictionary and they?ll appear along with the built-in words.

I believe there is an easier way to add words in iOS5, but I'm not sure how to do it yet. I remember reading somewhere that there is an easier way though.

Doesn't seem to work with hell still comes out he'll.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2