Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Nanite

1 Posts

Default Considering buying an unlocked iPhone while I'm in Hong Kong. Tons of questions

So I'm studying in Hong Kong until the end of this year and I'm considering buying an unlocked iPhone 4 since it's not that expensive. Just a few questions about how this all works.

1) I would have a sim card from Hong Kong. If I brought it back to the U.S. would me for local use, I should get a new sim card right?

2) I normally use Verizon when I'm back in the U.S., but since this would only be compatible with AT&T, how would I be charged by them? I mean, if I want to get a U.S. number and use AT&T's service, how do I go about obtaining a sim card? I've lived in the U.S. all my life and never seen sim cards for sale anywhere

3) If the iPhone 5 does come out this year and it does indeed have 4G service and I buy it in Hong Kong (unlocked obviously), if I brought it back to the U.S. could I get 4G service with AT&T?

4) There's absolutely no way for me to use Verizon if I bring back an unlocked iPhone?
    Last edited by jdong217; 09-06-2011 at 12:24 PM.
    iMore Genius

10,934 Posts
    Global Posts
    13,726 Global Posts

The answer to your most pressing question is no. There is no way to use a GSM sim unlocked phone on Verizon, which is a CDMA carrier (doesn't even have a sim slot).

If you bring a sim unlocked phone back to the US, you would have to go to AT&T (or T-Mobile) and buy a sim. You would basically be doing pay as you go.

We don't know anything about the iPhone 5 yet - it hasn't even been announced by Apple.