t_williams9476

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Ok y'all. I'm planning to buy either the TomTom, Garmin, or Magellan app. I can't decide if I should get the brand specific car kit too. Does the built in GPS receiver in the kits really enhance the performance of the apps enough to be noticeable? Thanks!

rdrum

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
I have the Garmin StreetPilot app - TomTom too... neither of them are as good as Navigon in my opinion.

I also prefer Navigon. I've tried a few others, but the feature set as well as the overal UI of Navigon keep brining me back to it.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
I'm still partial to my Nuvi 765T for GPS/PND needs - Navigon is the closest app to that I've found for a phone app... but put Navigon on an iPad (even a wifi...just add a gps receiver...That's another post...) and you've got something to be GPS enthused about.

swfreeman

Mar 30, 2010
Visit site
I prefer the Navigon app. All of them are real power hogs so the GPS mount I use is the Motorola. I notice significantly less lag time in announced directions with the GPS boost. Also the mount is a BT handsfree unit for my phone.

crairdin

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Navigon is a great GPS app. The Verizon iPhone 4, however, has documented GPS problems that Verizon and Apple are ignoring. It favors WiFi and cell tower triangulation over GPS and as a result the raw location data sent to apps will show you driving through houses and off across fields to hit cell towers. Driving apps like Navigon pin your location to roads, so this is less noticeable, but you'll really notice it in apps designed for runners and hikers like RunMeter and RunKeeper. They are useless on the Verizon iPhone 4 unless you turn off cell data (which disables texting) and wifi.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Navigon is a great GPS app. The Verizon iPhone 4, however, has documented GPS problems that Verizon and Apple are ignoring. It favors WiFi and cell tower triangulation over GPS and as a result the raw location data sent to apps will show you driving through houses and off across fields to hit cell towers. Driving apps like Navigon pin your location to roads, so this is less noticeable, but you'll really notice it in apps designed for runners and hikers like RunMeter and RunKeeper. They are useless on the Verizon iPhone 4 unless you turn off cell data (which disables texting) and wifi.

"Documented issues"??? Care to provide links for those documents???

I've not experienced the described issues with my Verizon iPhone. I do not believe it's the hardware. What you're describing is more likely a poorly written application. Whenever I use any one of several apps that can display GPS coordinates, and I take those, put them into Google maps, the location is displayed accurately to within the accuracy parameters that one of my GPS apps provides.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73