Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    1,101 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default Opinions Please! is the 4 worth it?

i am the type of person who analyzes everything.. so, on October 1st I have the opportunity to get an iphone 4. My question is, is it worth it? I have been reading on the web of many people having issues with it, like camera stops working, reception, etc.

If I get a later model (in october) from the 2010 ones, has apple fixed the 'proximity sensor' issue?

or is it better just to get the 3gs?
    thank you in advance...
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    503 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    5.1 Beta 2

You should just wait for the iPhone 5 T that point unless it's a money issue then go with the 4.
     Gold iPhone 5S 64 GB VZW on iOS 7.0.2  iPad 3rd Gen Black 16GB  Black MacBook 13" 2008  20" iMac Late 2007  Apple TV 2  2009 13' MacBook Pro
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    315 Global Posts

For the average user, yes the I4 is sufficient. For those of us that love technology and want to take advantage of the latest and greatest (i.e. 4g/LTE, Dual Core, etc.) I would wait for the I5.
    iMore Intermediate

iOS Version

You should just wait for the 5 to come out. I think that is what I am going to do when my wife is eligible for her upgrade. October 1st is so close to the i5.

I would wait.
    Devices | iPhone 5 16 GIG Black & Slate | iPad 2 16 GIG White | Macbook Pro 13-inch
  5. Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    1,101 Global Posts
    iOS Version

But is anyone having problems with it? did they fix the proximity sensor issue since the phone came out?

also, I'm always leary of getting a phone when it first comes out...
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    680 Global Posts
    iOS Version

The only time I had a proximity sensor issue was because of the screen protector. I cut out a notch in it and then had no issues (ie cheek dialing). Without the screen protector I had no such proximity sensor issues. I have had Blackberries & Android based phones and the iPhone by far is the only device that I have had zero issues. It just works.
    iPhone 5 - iPad Air - MacBook Pro 13" - ATV3

+ Romans 8:28 +
    iMore Expert

Global Posts
    1,484 Global Posts
    iOS Version

No proximity sensor or any other issues here. If I remember correctly the proximity sensor issue was software related and long since fixed.

Beamed over the interwebz from my iPhone 4 on iOS 5 b6 using Tapatalk.
    Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4GHz i7, 12GB RAM on OSX Mavericks GM
    iPhone 5s 32GB Gold
    iPad 16GB Wifi (3rd gen)
    iPad Mini 16GB Wifi
    ATV3
    iMore Genius

iOS Version
    iOS 7.1 b5

Quote Originally Posted by Bosox20 View Post
    i am the type of person who analyzes everything.. so, on October 1st I have the opportunity to get an iphone 4. My question is, is it worth it? I have been reading on the web of many people having issues with it, like camera stops working, reception, etc.

If I get a later model (in october) from the 2010 ones, has apple fixed the 'proximity sensor' issue?

or is it better just to get the 3gs?
    thank you in advance...
    I have had the iPhone 4 since launch day and am very happy. The iPhone(next) is rumored to be released on 10/7, so if you want the iPhone4, I would wait until then. Rumors are that the current iPhone 4 will be the new "entry level" iPhone, and as such, will be reduced in price - expect it to be in the $100 range. So waiting another week (after the October 1 date you mentioned above) would save you about $100. And you will get iOS 5, too.

There have been reported issues that Apple has addressed (antenna, proximity sensor) with software and design changes... but to be honest, I have not experienced any of them on an ongoing basis. I have always upgraded my OS, so that no doubt helped... but the iPhone 4 is a solid piece of technology that will serve you well into the future.

Personally, I don't see the iPhone 3GS being available after the release of the iPhone(next), so I would avoid it as the dead-end product that it is becoming.

But that's just my opinion...
    Last edited by Fausty82; 08-25-2011 at 11:30 AM.
    Curmudgeon and Former Member/Participant
    iPhone 5S / iPad Mini Retina / 15" MacBook Pro Retina
    dmt316 likes this.
  9. Thread AuthorThread Author   #9  
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    1,101 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Thanks everyone. Hank, you mentioned if I get the 4 I would get ios5? I'm new to all this, doesn't the iphone 4 come with ios4?

Thats the plan, to hopefully see a price drop in the 4 when the 5 comes out..
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    503 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    5.1 Beta 2

Thanks everyone. Hank, you mentioned if I get the 4 I would get ios5? I'm new to all this, doesn't the iphone 4 come with ios4?

Thats the plan, to hopefully see a price drop in the 4 when the 5 comes out..
    iOS 5 will be available to iPhone 4. Old hardware with new software around $100

iPhone 5 with ios 5 will be new hardware with new software around $200.
     Gold iPhone 5S 64 GB VZW on iOS 7.0.2  iPad 3rd Gen Black 16GB  Black MacBook 13" 2008  20" iMac Late 2007  Apple TV 2  2009 13' MacBook Pro
    iMore Genius

iOS Version
    iOS 7.1 b5

Quote Originally Posted by dmt316 View Post
    iOS 5 will be available to iPhone 4. Old hardware with new software around $100

iPhone 5 with ios 5 will be new hardware with new software around $200.
    dmt316 beat me to the punch... but yes, depending on what version of iOS is on the iPhone 4 when you get it, you can always upgrade for free... so as long as the version works with your hardware, you can upgrade and get the newest software features. There is always the possibility of the software outpacing the hardware... and in that case (like with the iPhone 3G / 3GS) some software features are disabled because the hardware can't/doesn't support the feature... I guess that's always a possibility.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    13,096 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Mine has been great. Best phone on the market now even though its 14 months old. But the new one should be here in 6 weeks. Not that far away.
  13. Thread AuthorThread Author   #13  
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    1,101 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Got it.. thanks.

one more question, to upgrade the software, do I have to jailbreak the phone? or can you upgrade without doing that?
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    13,096 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Got it.. thanks.

one more question, to upgrade the software, do I have to jailbreak the phone? or can you upgrade without doing that?
    Plug it into iTunes and hit update. Thats simple. Once you are on 5.0, all updates after that can be done OTA.
  15. Thread AuthorThread Author   #15  
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    1,101 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by Garz View Post
    Plug it into iTunes and hit update. Thats simple. Once you are on 5.0, all updates after that can be done OTA.
    sweet!!! thanks!
    iPhone Experts

Global Posts
    906 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by Garz View Post
    This is the new feature that made me the most excited. I have to beg, borrow and steal to get comp time at home.
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    228 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I have had no problems with the iPhone, and I have had it for a few months now. No regrets. There are so many apps available for almost anything you want.
    @Sleepy_Dr on twitter
    http://sleepydoctordiaries.com/
    iphone 4/ipad/ipod 4th gen/ipod shuffle/ipod classic :o
    iPhone Newbie

Number 5 for sure! I'm not really happy with 4. Connection problems quite often, battery gets empty super quick. Well 5 is not a guarentee that this gets better, hope dies last.
    iMore Genius

iOS Version
    iOS 7.1 b5

Quote Originally Posted by synapsemassage View Post
    Number 5 for sure! I'm not really happy with 4. Connection problems quite often, battery gets empty super quick. Well 5 is not a guarentee that this gets better, hope dies last.
    Not seeing "connection problems quite often", and no "battery gets empty super quick". Perhaps your issues are the result of how you use your phone. I don't want to take this thread off on a tangent, but how do you use your phone? Are you jailbroken? Streaming a lot of video/audio? Lots of location based activities? Just curious to see what is causing your battery drain.

I expect iOS 5 and the iPhone(next) to have better battery life - I am already seeing a big improvement over 4.3.3, which was fantastic, IMHO.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    6,391 Global Posts

I love my iPhone 4 and would recommend it to anyone without question. However, two things to consider here are; one, the next iPhone is less than a month and a half from being released, and two, the iPhone 4 is going to be at least $100 cheaper than it is right now once the next iPhone comes out. That said, I would wait it out before jumping on anything.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    8,509 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 182

if you want the latest and greatest. wait. if not, then the 4 will more than suffice
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    41 Global Posts

My proximity sensor issues went away with a software update that apple did. Once they updated the software, I never had an issue with my proximity sensor again. I did have an issue with my home button (it would not consistently recognize multiple clicks), and Apple replaced it (although I did have the extended warranty).

If I were you, I would wait until the iPhone 5 comes out. Also, make sure you get Apple's extended warranty. Any smartphone is going to have issues, and Apple has upheld their warranty very well in my experience. Totally worth it for me because I'm a heavy user and when something goes wrong with my phone, I just want a new one right away (can't wait to have it fixed!)
    iPhone Beginner

Global Posts
    474 Global Posts

I think the 4 is more than enough. I work for AT&T and we have been having people come in asking when the 5 is coming out....I just tell them to buy the 4 and don't wait if they want it right now. I usually sell them 9 out of 10 times.
    iPhone Newbie

iOS Version

Default Rather Be Safe than Sorry....

I'm a "newbie" here but not to the iPhone scene... I "kustomize" iphones making them stand out in a crowd of black and white! As for your question I would wait so you can compare the two. I've owned all 4 of the iPhones since inception and have owned many 3gs/s and 4/s. I love messing with my phones and am always looking for something new. Since your upgrade date is so close to the expected release date might as well wait and compare the two in order to see what is better for you.
    Check us out at iKustomize dot com
    We use only the highest quality (yes you can tell a difference just by feeling them) and our products include OEM Retina Displays and OEM Digitizers. Only the best, stop on by and check us out or PM me here. Thanks for looking, you won't be disappointed.
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    56 Global Posts

But is anyone having problems with it? did they fix the proximity sensor issue since the phone came out?

also, I'm always leary of getting a phone when it first comes out...
    I've never had a problem with my iPhone 4, it is fantastic. Make sure you have a case for it though, I use a Speck case
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast