So yesterday I was walking across my college campus holding my iPhone 4 in it's Ottorbox case in my hand as it was digging into my side. Apparently campus security was recording me because they believe that I was actually carrying a pistol across campus and tossing the object into my passenger seat was "suspicious activity."

I just had a nice visit from my city's local police force. Two cruisers and an SUV, in fact.

Even though the images/video were taken from several hundred feet away (digitally magnified) you can tell the damn phone is not a pistol by it's very shape.

Just thought I'd share my interesting day.
    08-24-2011 02:59 PM
    Nice! :facepalm: Did they kick you out because of a stupid "zero tolerance" policy? I'm kidding, of course!
    08-24-2011 03:27 PM
    That's a little overboard, but considering the recent rash of college shootings, I'm sure they were instructed to be zealous.
    08-24-2011 04:34 PM
    Wow that is ridiculous
    08-24-2011 05:01 PM
    HAHA .. Apparently they're not media majors to know how to properly use their surveillance equipment.
    08-24-2011 05:12 PM
    If that would happen to me it would be considered racial profiling, and i'd be pissed. Sucks, but kind of funny when you read about, glad everything is ok.
    08-24-2011 05:29 PM
    I can understand that they want to be safe and might be a bit paranoid about security but that's just ridiculous...
    08-24-2011 08:11 PM
    WTH! I can't believe that. Don't we all toss our phones to our seats in the car? Well I used to don't do it anymore but come on. That is just ridiculous.

Sorry you had to go through all of that.
    08-25-2011 09:17 AM
    Hilarious......
    08-26-2011 12:40 AM
    Wow, now that's funny! I do understand the whole "safety first" deal going on these days, but c'mon!
    08-27-2011 10:24 AM
    If that would happen to me it would be considered racial profiling, and i'd be pissed. Sucks, but kind of funny when you read about, glad everything is ok.
    Really? What does race have to do with the campus security making a ridiculous mistake? Race card needs to be dead, should not matter and bringing into this forum is just silly, GROW UP!!!
    Eileen89, Dsgcobra, Click and 1 others like this.
    08-27-2011 11:40 AM
    You have to switch up those Otterbox colors! Lucky they have enough sense to monitor instead of quickly react!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    08-27-2011 01:08 PM
    Leave race out of it. This discussion had nothing to do with it. If you want to complain and bring up race for no reason, go somewhere else
    Eileen89 likes this.
    08-27-2011 01:59 PM
    It's actually kind of funny, the people who cry the most about racism are usually the most racist people.

Sent from my iPhone
    BLiNK and riley9dy like this.
    08-28-2011 09:29 PM
    Just wait until someone with an actual gun gets on campus and decides to play duck hunt with the students...you'll beg for more surveillance, and you'll happily answer any questions cops have when they mistake your capri sun for an AK-47, without a second thought of the ridiculousness of the mix up.
    08-29-2011 06:14 AM
    Wow, haha my sister is in college, better tell her to keep her phone holstered
    08-29-2011 07:35 AM
    Just wait until someone with an actual gun gets on campus and decides to play duck hunt with the students...you'll beg for more surveillance, and you'll happily answer any questions cops have when they mistake your capri sun for an AK-47, without a second thought of the ridiculousness of the mix up.
    Is there a reason you're exactly quoting a another post? lol
    08-29-2011 11:12 AM
    just another reason to not get an otterbox.. they look revolting and apparently like a pistol
    anon4705295 likes this.
    08-29-2011 02:58 PM
    WTH! I can't believe that. Don't we all toss our phones to our seats in the car? Well I used to don't do it anymore but come on. That is just ridiculous.

Sorry you had to go through all of that.
    Don't we all toss loaded guns onto the car seat? Oh wait...
    08-30-2011 08:00 AM
    My girl had the same problem when she was dancing on the bar at the club... Who knew people were dumb enough to think a hottie would make a real gun into a shoe? I guess the whole spy shoe gun thing is a hot topic. No- it's not real (it's a SHOE)!!

Last edited by iKustomize; 08-30-2011 at 11:11 AM.
    furygoalbrtis39 likes this.
    08-30-2011 11:09 AM
    Part of me wants to facepalm but it is better than no surveillance at all.
    08-30-2011 12:26 PM
    That's so dumb
    09-02-2011 11:20 AM
    Wow, haha my sister is in college, better tell her to keep her phone holstered
    "Holstered"? LMAO! Maybe our phones are more like guns after all...
    09-02-2011 03:45 PM
    So they thought you were walking across campus with a gun, and they don't question you until the next day? That's pretty lame. If you were intent on shooting up the place you'd be done already.

What I'd like to know is whether the police accepted your explanation.
    09-02-2011 04:26 PM
    So they thought you were walking across campus with a gun, and they don't question you until the next day? That's pretty lame. If you were intent on shooting up the place you'd be done already.

What I'd like to know is whether the police accepted your explanation.
    Yeah. I explained to them that even though I have a CCDW permit, at this time I don't even have a weapon (volunteered to let them search my home/cars - they didn't), and that as a former RA at the University of Kentucky I was well aware of campus firearm policies.

They took pictures of me with my phone "holstered" on my side and cupped in my hand to "show" the University what they had actually seen.
    09-02-2011 07:49 PM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD