Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Nanite

Default iPhone 4 won't charge-battery issues?

A few days ago I plugged my iPhone 4 into my charger since the battery was showing 32%, and after a bit when I returned, expecting to see charging progress, the battery showed 30% and the battery icon, instead of showing the lightning bolt icon indicating it was charging, it showed a plug icon. However, as indicated, the battery was continuing to run down. My wife has an iPhone 4 as well (and has had the 3GS) so I tried all 3 cords, different outlets, etc. with the same result--the phone only showed a "plug" icon inside of the battery icon and the battery continued to lose charge. I tried turning the phone completely on and off but that only produced the same result. The battery inevitably lost all charge and my phone is now dead.

I took my phone to the Apple store, and learned that I was a month past warranty. The Apple person I talked to didn't even discuss the option of fixing the phone, he only gave me options of buying a new phone or extending my contract which may make me eligible for a new phone from AT&T.

Has anyone else had this problem? If it is just a bad battery perhaps I could just replace it instead of having to shell out another $200 for a new phone and a new contract with AT&T. The Apple employee also said that it may have something to do with problems with my software, but I am wondering if this is a hardware issue.

I am new to this forum and hopefully this question hasn't been asked and answered multiple times here, but if so my apologies. I would really appreciate any input/advice anyone could offer!
    iPhone Newbie

This a car or wall charger?
    iPhone Experts

Global Posts
    906 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I had battery issues once, so I reloaded the os and it was fine afterward. It would definitely be worth a try before shelling out your gas money!
  4. Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  
    iPhone Nanite

@ cellpig: I plugged three different wall chargers into at least two different sockets, and it still wouldn't take a charge but indicated it was "plugged in".

@ BrindawithanI: I hear you--the trouble is with my iPhone being dead given that the battery has no juice, I can't turn the thing on to install an operating system, so its only effective function at this point is a paperweight. I have thought about seeing if one of those pad-type wireless chargers that you can just set your phone on would work to get any type of charge into the thing.

Also, as I indicated in my original post, I was a little disappointed that the seemingly by-default solution given by the Apple "Genius" with whom I spoke was to get a new phone, but I suppose they couldn't run any diagnostics with a dead device.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    4,922 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6 and 5

Will it change if you plug into the computer ? Or not the wall or computer ?
  6. Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  
    iPhone Nanite

Trying to charge it through the computer by plugging the USB in is the one thing I haven't tried
    iPhone Experts

Global Posts
    906 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by Peligro911 View Post
    Will it change if you plug into the computer ? Or not the wall or computer ?
    Good call! I've had an adapter go bad too so it could be that.
  8. Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  
    iPhone Nanite

I really hope that does the trick, but given that my wife's phone charges with all the adapters I have tried, it may not work but it is definitely worth a try
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    4,922 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6 and 5

If not you can try a new battery it would be worth a try ... Not hard to change and you could always return if it don't fix the issue .. Also there is alot of third party places that do repairs and they might fix it fairly cheap is it is like the charging port or something ..
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    484 Global Posts
    iOS Version

The battery is very easy to replace, just take out the two little screws at the bottom and push the back up about 1/2-inch. Here's a battery on sale for $10 -- I have purchased from these guys before and they were great.

iPhone 4 battery

I've also used iFixit and they are great too but their battery is full price at $25.
  11. Thread AuthorThread Author   #11  
    iPhone Nanite

Thanks for all the great advice. You all have been much more helpful than the Apple person I spoke to. I just found out a friend knows someone who fixes iPhones, so at the very least I can send it to him to take a look at it. ..after having my iPhone for a little over a year it would be hard to go back to anything different.
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
    iOS Version

The same thing hapend to me after a restore with itunes no more problume.
    iPhone Nanite

Default Re: iPhone 4 won't charge-battery issues?

This is the same thing that happened to me! I took it to the Apple store and the guy did some tests on it, even though it was out of warranty, and said it is a software issue. He even tried charging and did restore on it to try and get it working and it was a lost cause. And silly me, didn't know enough about Cloud to have anything backed up! My options are to buy a new phone or buy a new phone and my AT&T upgrade isn't until May. I feel your pain! I was looking online for the same issue and maybe an youtube fix, as I know a few people that are capable of some repairs. I hope we find an answer to this extremely irritating and inconvenient problem.
    iMore Intermediate

Default iPhone 4 won't charge-battery issues?

The battery is one of the easiest parts to replace on a 4 next to the back glass and ebay has many for sale, just check their % as a seller and make sure they're a US Seller (if you're in the US). I've replaced my screen on my 4 a couple of times with parts purchased from eBay and video from imore showing me how to do it
    iPhone Nanite

Default Re: iPhone 4 won't charge-battery issues?

I had the same issue as you have. So I took my iPhone to a repair center and they took off the battery and tested it with a tester (in my country this tester is called multimeter). The technician told me that my battery was slept and he could put the battery awake. He took two wires from another energy source (another charger) and with this tiny wires he connected the battery in order to supply more power than needed for iPhones. He hold those wires for some minutes and then the battery was awaken. The trick is to supply more power (volts) than needed in order to wake up the battery. This issue, he says, happens when your device has not received any energy for a long time.

Hope this is helpful. And sorry for my bad english. Greetings from Mexico.