Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By SeanHRCC
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    41 Global Posts

Default Not able to take screenshots on iPhone 4!

I went to take a screenshot using my iPhone 4 and....it won't! I called Apple's technical support and they are stumped. We restarted the phone, reset the settings, and...nothing. Still won't take screenshots.

Has anyone else had this issue? If so, how did it get resolved? I just did a warranty replacement on my iPhone 4 because the home button on my last phoen didn't work right (was told it was a common problem). I REALLY don't want to do another warranty replacement and would love to save a trip to the iPhone store.

Please help!
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    13,201 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Try restoring the software. If that doesnt fix it, then its a hardware issue.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    8,908 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    Taco Bell

Start with the basic question...what method are you trying to take screen shots?

Are you jailbroken?

Do the home button and power/sleep button work on their own individually?

...honestly, if you've gone through all the basic steps to make sure that A.) You yourself are doing it properly, and B.) The buttons work fine outside of this functionality...then why wouldn't you want to do a warranty trade in? My *** would be in the Apple store tomorrow asking for another new phone, and i would continue doing so until the one i had worked properly.
    "Speed has never killed anyone; suddenly becoming stationary...that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson
    BLiNK likes this.
  4. Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    41 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SeanHRCC View Post
    Start with the basic question...what method are you trying to take screen shots?
    I am using the correct method - hold down both the home button and on/off button simultaneously (and quickly). I've had many iPhones, and taken screenshots many times. The screen doesn't flash.

[/QUOTE]Are you jailbroken?[/QUOTE]

Nope.

[/QUOTE]Do the home button and power/sleep button work on their own individually?[/QUOTE]

Yes, both buttons work fine individually. No issues with the camera and the home button works perfectly (I had to recently do a warranty replacement because the home button on my original iphone 4 never worked right).

[/QUOTE]...honestly, if you've gone through all the basic steps to make sure that A.) You yourself are doing it properly, and B.) The buttons work fine outside of this functionality...then why wouldn't you want to do a warranty trade in? My *** would be in the Apple store tomorrow asking for another new phone, and i would continue doing so until the one i had worked properly.[/QUOTE]

The last time I did a warranty replacement (about a month ago) it took a week to get all my stuff working right on my Iphone again. Even when you sync the phone before replacing, it just doesn't all magically get set up properly. Passwords have to be recalled and re-entered. It was a pain in the ****. Also, I have an app installed on my phone for checking work email and if I do a warranty replacement, I have to get another confirmation code from my ISTS department at work, which will take a bit of effort. I can't do without that app at the moment, so I'm almost willing to live without the screenshot feature.

So annoying.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    504 Global Posts

I had this issue too, but all I did was do a restore and it went back to working. Not sure if that helps?
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    6,391 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NickB2005 View Post
    I had this issue too, but all I did was do a restore and it went back to working. Not sure if that helps?
    This was already suggest above. While it is good advice, I don't believe it worked in the OP case.
  7. Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    41 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NickB2005 View Post
    Yep, I think that's what I'm going to have to do. Just so worried about losing info on my phone and screwing things up. When I did the warranty replacement on my phone it took almost a week to get things back to how I like them. Argh. Guess a restore is my only option....
    iPhone Newbie

Still under warranty?
  9. Thread AuthorThread Author   #9  
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    41 Global Posts

Yep, still under warranty! I know I can get it replaced. Just didn't want to deal with the hassle.
    iPhone Nanite

Default Re: Not able to take screenshots on iPhone 4!

I just had this problem, searched, and found this thread. Iphone 5 version 6.0.1

I also just fixed the issue by removing several apps. I'm not sure which one did it, but if you have one or more of the same apps, I'd give it a shot. My guess is it's something to do with a security "feature" in an app.

Priority Club (for ICH Hotels)
    Hilton Hotels
    Kayak
    Fidelity Health
    Fidelity Financial
    Mint
    Fandango
    Jetpack Joyride
    Ringtones 500,000
    95.5 WPLJ (buggy piece of crap that just might have caused this)
    Flashlight

My thought was to remove both latest apps and apps that have a "secure" login. So using that thought process, you might want to try the same thing.

If I get time, I'll go through and reinstall one by one to see if I can reproduce the problem. ........but don't hold your breath. Really busy.