Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default iPhone submerged!!! HELP!!!

Ok, so I cooking supper just now, and my iPhone got knocked into a bowl of water. It had nothing but water in it (I was washing some asparagus). It was only in there for about .5 seconds, but it was dripping water when I got it out. I dried it completely, and then took q-tips to dry out the holes (speakers and plug.) It is working completely fine, but I am worried about long term effects. ANY ADVICE?!?!?! I'M FREAKING OUT AT THE MOMENT!! Texting and internet works fine, everything. I'm afraid to plug it into anything or turn it off, in case it doesn't turn back on.
    iPhone Experts

Global Posts
    906 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Put it in a sealed container of rice overnight. And it's too late for this part, but don't power it on... No guarantees once it's wet though. Sorry.
    polygrafix likes this.
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    680 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I've always heard people mention putting their cellphones in rice to dry out. Don't know if it works but you can check this link out anyways. Hope this helps:

iPhone 5S - iPad Air - MacBook Pro 13" - ATV3

+ Romans 8:28 +
  4. Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by BrindawithanI View Post
    Put it in a sealed container of rice overnight. And it's too late for this part, but don't power it on... No guarantees once it's wet though. Sorry.
    That's the thing though. It didn't turn off, or anything. It is still working fine. Well, it won't ring, even though it isn't on silent. Do you think it will be ok, since it is still working? Because everything I've read has applied to iPhones that turned off when they got wet. Mine never turned off. I've actually sent a few texts, and it is working like normal. But I'm still going to do the bag of rice thing. Should I turn it off before I put it in the rice? Or just let it go to sleep and put it in the bag?
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    4,862 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6 and 5

I used a hair dryer on one once when a friends go thrown into a shower by her 2 year old lol all was working but the ear piece speaker and the hair dryer did the trick .. Just don't do it for long periods you don't want to over heat the phone
    iPhone Experts

Global Posts
    906 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by t_williams8980 View Post
    That's the thing though. It didn't turn off, or anything. It is still working fine. Well, it won't ring, even though it isn't on silent. Do you think it will be ok, since it is still working? Because everything I've read has applied to iPhones that turned off when they got wet. Mine never turned off. I've actually sent a few texts, and it is working like normal. But I'm still going to do the bag of rice thing. Should I turn it off before I put it in the rice? Or just let it go to sleep and put it in the bag?
    I would definitely turn it off while in the rice. No sense taking a chance. I hope it turns out okay for you!!

There are threads around here talking about how the geniuses at Apple stores give "first time offenders" a replacement phone. No guarantees, but you might get lucky if you're honest with them and cry a little. Sorry, I'm really not making light of your situation. Just saying. *
    Last edited by BrindawithanI; 08-16-2011 at 08:50 PM.
  7. Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Ok, so I just said a HUGE prayer, took a HUMONGOUS risk, plugged it into my computer, and it synced JUST fine. It is charging perfectly. Only difference now is that is won't seem to make a sound. Imported pictures just fine. I'm about to turn it off, and turn it back on, so see how it goes. Thanks for y'alls help! If the sound is still not working after I turn it off and on, then I'm going to try a hard reset. I'll let y'all know how it goes, and again, THANKS FOR Y'ALLS HELP SOOO MUCH!!!!!
    iPhone Experts

Global Posts
    906 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Good luck!!!
  9. Thread AuthorThread Author   #9  
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Well, I've got an appointment at the Apple Store tomorrow at 12:15. Any advice? The only thing that is wrong with it is that it won't turn off (I try to turn it off, and it just turns right back on) and the speakers won't work. Has anyone here had experience with the Apple Store in Willowbrook Mall in Houston? That's where I'm going, and I will take any advice! Thanks for y'alls help, and HOPEFULLY tomorrow will go like it needs to!!! Say a prayer for me!
    iPhone Experts

Global Posts
    906 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Just be honest. They'll know it has water damage. And remember your puppy dog face!

Don't forget to let us know how it went.
  11. Thread AuthorThread Author   #11  
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Yeah, I'm DEFINITELY going with the puppy dog face, AND THE TRUTH. I'm from the South. I was taught to always tell the truth, no matter how bad the consequences. And this my friends, could have some GOD-AWFUL consequences. But I will definitely let y'all know how it goes.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    4,862 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6 and 5

Yeah, I'm DEFINITELY going with the puppy dog face, AND THE TRUTH. I'm from the South. I was taught to always tell the truth, no matter how bad the consequences. And this my friends, could have some GOD-AWFUL consequences. But I will definitely let y'all know how it goes.
    Def try apple but I would hair dry the speaker it has worked and can't hurt worst case it still has no sound good luck !
  13. Thread AuthorThread Author   #13  
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Well, I put it in the bag of rice overnight. I got it out this morning, and all is back to normal! The speakers work again, and it will turn off and STAY turned off! I was planning on still going to the Apple Store, just for a diagnostic. Do y'all think this is a good idea?
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    97 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Well, I put it in the bag of rice overnight. I got it out this morning, and all is back to normal! The speakers work again, and it will turn off and STAY turned off! I was planning on still going to the Apple Store, just for a diagnostic. Do y'all think this is a good idea?
    Absolutely! Even though a phone may appear to work normally for some time (how much time varies), the simple fact is that corrosion is going to eventually kill the unit. Hair dryers and rice cannot prevent this.

Take it to the store, tell them what happened and they'll replace it - it's just a matter of how much it's going to cost you to replace it.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    6,391 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BrindawithanI View Post
    Just be honest. They'll know it has water damage. And remember your puppy dog face!

Don't forget to let us know how it went.
    I second being honest about what happened. I think the honest approach is always the best one.
  16. Thread AuthorThread Author   #16  
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    iOS Version

So I took it to the Apple Store. I told him my story, and he said that since it is working fine, then he wasn't too worried. I asked him to run a diagnostic, and he did. Nothing was wrong with it. He then took it in the back to clean out the ports. When he brought it back, he said that everything on the inside looked great. He even said that the moisture indicators had not been activated! So, I'm not so worried anymore. I honestly think that if it would have been needed to be replaced, he would have found a way to do it for free. This experience reassures my beliefs in Apple!
    iPhone Experts

Global Posts
    906 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Well that's AWESOME!!! So glad everything worked out and all is well!!!
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    208 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Peligro911 View Post
    I used a hair dryer on one once when a friends go thrown into a shower by her 2 year old lol all was working but the ear piece speaker and the hair dryer did the trick .. Just don't do it for long periods you don't want to over heat the phone
    This has also worked for me but the trick is to just put the hair dryer to blow on cool so then you can keep the hair dryer on it for hours without having to worry about it overheating..
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    1,967 Global Posts

Another trick it to used packages of silica desiccant. You know those little sugar packet-looking things that say "Don't eat"? Thats silica desiccant. You can buy it at craft stores and online.

While rice works, it doesn't draw moisture out like desiccant will. The silica will work faster and better, and its reusable.

Really glad everything worked out for you. God answers our prayers about even the most minor of things.
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    113 Global Posts

So I took it to the Apple Store. I told him my story, and he said that since it is working fine, then he wasn't too worried. I asked him to run a diagnostic, and he did. Nothing was wrong with it. He then took it in the back to clean out the ports. When he brought it back, he said that everything on the inside looked great. He even said that the moisture indicators had not been activated! So, I'm not so worried anymore. I honestly think that if it would have been needed to be replaced, he would have found a way to do it for free. This experience reassures my beliefs in Apple!
    An uplifting apple story. :o
    iPhone Newbie

iOS Version
    IOS6 GM

they are hard to find readily available but silica gel beads are the best thing ive seen for drying out wet electronics
    iPhone Newbie

iOS Version

I had a friend who dropped her iphone in the toilet just two weeks ago- The rice thing didn't work for her. I lent her my (tester) iphone 3gs, until she got a new iphone 4 last week. I hope you're iphone works though!
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    28 Global Posts

May I suggest LifeProof case....it's waterproof.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    518 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6

Quote Originally Posted by Dustoff-00 View Post
    May I suggest LifeProof case....it's waterproof.

Amen to that my friend.
    I used to have a open mind but my brains kept falling out.

iPhone 5 32gb

IPad 3 32gb wifi

Apple TV 2
    iPhone Nanite

iOS Version
    Engineerin

Default You actually make it appear so easy together with your presentation

I am no longer certain where you are getting your info, but good topic integrateddishwashers biz/Fitting-Integrated-Dishwasher-11 html]Fitting Integrated Dishwasher
    I must spend some time finding out much more or figuring out more Thank you for wonderful information I used to be in search of this information for my mission
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast