Bad ESN- Can I use as an ipod touch?

dukeysam

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
Hey everyone,
I currently have an iPhone 3G without a sim card which I use as an ipod touch that can also make SIP calls. I really like it; however, I want to be able to facetime as well, so I bought a verizon iphone on ebay. Because I don't want to use this as any more than a glorified ipod touch, I bought one with a bad ESN (to save money).

2 questions:

1. on my 3G, I had to hacktivate and restore to get past the "phone locked" screen. If I restore my new verizon iphone, will i also be locked out of the phone completely? Will there be any way around this, and is there "hacktivation" for a verizon iphone as well?

2. On my 3G, I had to use SAM to activate and get push notifications to work. Will this be a problem with the Bad ESN iphone 4? How can I use SAM on a non-sim iPhone to get push notifications to work?

Thanks for the help!

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
It should activate once you JB

Notifications should work if your on wifi

If all you wanted was a iPod with face time why not just get a iPod touch 4G ? Prob would have been cheaper

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Hey everyone,
I currently have an iPhone 3G without a sim card which I use as an ipod touch that can also make SIP calls. I really like it; however, I want to be able to facetime as well, so I bought a verizon iphone on ebay. Because I don't want to use this as any more than a glorified ipod touch, I bought one with a bad ESN (to save money).

2 questions:

1. on my 3G, I had to hacktivate and restore to get past the "phone locked" screen. If I restore my new verizon iphone, will i also be locked out of the phone completely? Will there be any way around this, and is there "hacktivation" for a verizon iphone as well?

2. On my 3G, I had to use SAM to activate and get push notifications to work. Will this be a problem with the Bad ESN iphone 4? How can I use SAM on a non-sim iPhone to get push notifications to work?

Thanks for the help!

So basically you bought a stolen phone? I'm not aware of any other way to get a bad ESN.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
So basically you bought a stolen phone? I'm not aware of any other way to get a bad ESN.
A couple ways are
You can have a bad esn by being still attached to someones account that you owe money it freezes the phone on the account and esn can not be release until account is paid so just sell it . Or a shady way
someone reported it lost and got a new one then sold that one.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
A couple ways are
You can have a bad esn by being still attached to someones account that you owe money it freezes the phone on the account and esn can not be release until account is paid so just sell it . Or a shady way
someone reported it lost and got a new one then sold that one.

But more than likely stolen. ;)

MrShabba

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
It's ignorant to assume that a bad ESN is more than likely from a stolen phone.

I'd wager that 75% or more of bad ESNs are from people who didn't pay their bill, let their account get closed, and then sold their phone.