Mywi question

riley9dy

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site
So this may be the wrong section for this question and also sorry if it's already been asked... But if you are using an iPhone on Verizon, jailbroken, and using Mywi to tether wifi for free, will the time you spend tethering count towards your data consumption? And if so, is it a lot? Enough to make you go over?

Genericmessage00

Jun 8, 2011
Visit site
So this may be the wrong section for this question and also sorry if it's already been asked... But if you are using an iPhone on Verizon, jailbroken, and using Mywi to tether wifi for free, will the time you spend tethering count towards your data consumption? And if so, is it a lot? Enough to make you go over?

Since you'll be using 3G, yes.

Unless you have the old unlimited data plan, then no.

riley9dy

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site
Since you'll be using 3G, yes.

Unless you have the old unlimited data plan, then no.

Thanks but do you know how much data this would take? Well let's put it this way.... Would I be better off streaming Netflix on my iPhone over 3G? Or should I tether wifi to my iPad and watch it there over the tethered wifi? Which would use less data?

cenloe

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
Dont tether unless you pay for it. Just recently Verizon has been cracking down on those who are tethering "illegally". You don't want to get caught

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
The basic answer, though, is they will use the same amount of data whether you watch directly on your iPhone, or use your iPhone to tether to something else. The difference is that without a tethering account, your provider does not want you tethering.

Genericmessage00

Jun 8, 2011
Visit site
Thanks but do you know how much data this would take? Well let's put it this way.... Would I be better off streaming Netflix on my iPhone over 3G? Or should I tether wifi to my iPad and watch it there over the tethered wifi? Which would use less data?

Watching it on your phone vs. your iPad will use the same amount of data.

And don't worry, Verizon "Cracking down" is sending a little redirect to their site for you to sign up for their service.

Soon they will find a way to change how tethering illegally "looks" on the network, therefore making it harder for them to know.

Alveezy

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
so did Verizon finally start to put a stop on tethering by re-directing you to the tethering plan website every time you try to tether your iPhone?