2G is that enough?

mom2nickemma

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
Wanting to upgrade my son to an Iphone. No more unlimited data with Verizon. My question...If he uses Wifi(available everywhere these days) will that count towards his data usage? He streams video to watch Netflix and You tube on a daily basis.

Genericmessage00

Jun 8, 2011
Visit site
Using WIFI does not count towards your data cap.

But be careful! I have every month since getting a smart phone gone over 2 gigs, and that is USING wifi while at home.

And wifi isn't as widely available as you may think (locked down, pay to use, and so on)

Reactions: mom2nickemma

mom2nickemma

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
I just hate to almost double the phone bill. He uses his old Ipod touch( 1st. Gen) for that stuff now, but he really needs a new phone. What is a safe bet as far as data? I don't even have a clue because I have unlimited. I know that FB will eat into your data as well.

Genericmessage00

Jun 8, 2011
Visit site
I just hate to almost double the phone bill. He uses his old Ipod touch( 1st. Gen) for that stuff now, but he really needs a new phone. What is a safe bet as far as data? I don't even have a clue because I have unlimited. I know that FB will eat into your data as well.

Nah, the real killers are streaming media.

Netflix, hulu, youtube, spotify, pandora, that kind of stuff.

Facebook and web-browsing won't really put a massive dent in there at all.

But if he streams netflix daily, and he does it on 3G and not wifi, he WILL go over. I promise you that.

But yeah, the data cap is insulting. Maybe just get him a new touch

Brickman

Nov 28, 2008
Visit site

This is what I did for my three teens.YMMV. ;) Now I am not on VZ but I am on AT&T so I got them AND my wife the lowest Data Plan possible (200MB). My "Deal" my kids is...I pay for Data up to the 200MB. If you go over...They pay the difference. They have WiFi at Home, School, Church, StarBucks, etc...

After paying for over ages one time they learn how to use WiFi as much as possible.;) Now I have tured OFF all Push apps, Notification for Apps, Location sevices, and NO Push or Pull Email. They have learned to ONLY Stream Video and Pandora when on WiFi. They FB some but do very little email. Mostly SMS.

The only thing is IF you are on VZ their plan are 75MB (not enough for anything) then it jumps to 2G for $30. That sux if it still that way.

xvision

Sep 3, 2011
j.mp
Try using DataMan to record your usage stats to find out more about your usage patterns. It also has real time automated usage alerts to help stop overage.

anon4705295

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
After paying for over ages one time they learn how to use WiFi as much as possible.;) Now I have tured OFF all Push apps, Notification for Apps, Location sevices, and NO Push or Pull Email. They have learned to ONLY Stream Video and Pandora when on WiFi. They FB some but do very little email. Mostly SMS.
/QUOTE]

Wow... After all that's taken out, why have an iPhone at all? Lol

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
INTERNET BUNDLE NOW