What Will Running Old Software on Your IPhone Cause?

Infiniti7

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
just wondering what you would experience if you were running old software on your verizon iphone and did not update it to the current software. Lets say you may be down 3 or 4 versions from the current one out now? just getting some ideas. how would if affect the phone and what not?

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Nothing. You miss out on the updates... any features that have been added, etc... but the last couple of updates from Apple were to close holes that could be exploited... and in fact, were being exploited to effect JailBreaking...

But Apple won't force the updates, so you could run with an old version as long as you want to.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
just wondering what you would experience if you were running old software on your verizon iphone and did not update it to the current software. Lets say you may be down 3 or 4 versions from the current one out now? just getting some ideas. how would if affect the phone and what not?

Right now the only thing you are missing is the patch to protect you from PDF exploits in Safari and another update from Monday that is another security related update. The other thing is iTunes will keep annoying you to update unless you tell it to stop by checking the box.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Right now the only thing you are missing is the patch to protect you from PDF exploits in Safari and another update from Monday that is another security related update. The other thing is iTunes will keep annoying you to update unless you tell it to stop by checking the box.

sounds like an echo in here... :cool:

Infiniti7

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
well my phone did a couple funky things last week like not being able to receive incoming calls or texts but i could send out calls/texts so i restarted my phone and everything went back to normal and have never experienced it again. i dont know if that is the iphones hardware or a verizon issue? also i had some apps open and running a game in the background and my phone screen went black the apple logo came up and it restarted itself and everything was fine after that. I just dont know what to take out of this and dont want it to be a hardware issue. phones working completely normal now for a week.

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
Hi Infinititi7. As for your issues you've described above, my SiL has a Samsung Fascinate, and about 2-1/2 wks ago, she had the very same issue your describing. Although she would send/rec calls no prob--she had an issue with text msgs that she sent never being rec'd by the person she sent to, but was rec'ing them fine. If i had to guess, perhaps VzW was doing some maintenance or updating their 4G again and it may have caused a hiccup in the system.

I would still keep an eye on it of course to watch that it doesn't happen again, the addl advice i gave my SiL was to also do a *228 and chose opt#2 to update the PRL. (roaming capabilities) Perhaps you could do that just for safe measure so your iP4 can stay up to date with the cell towers etc.
:)

Infiniti7

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
yes ive done all of that updates my phone and have not have had a single problem since and its been 2 weeks now. think im good? maybe a little glitch?