Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Expert

Default How Long Do Your Software Apple Updates Take?

Everytime I download the software update from apple when i sync my phone to itunes it always seems to take an hour+ sometimes even more. I know I don't have the best internet connection maybe because most of the times i am in a hotel and when i'm not i share interent with my neighbor which is the next door/apartment over. How long do yours take usually? Also i just downloaded the 4.2.10 version for the Iphone Verizon. am i currently up to date? Thanks!
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    97 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by Infiniti7 View Post
    Everytime I download the software update from apple when i sync my phone to itunes it always seems to take an hour+ sometimes even more. I know I don't have the best internet connection maybe because most of the times i am in a hotel and when i'm not i share interent with my neighbor which is the next door/apartment over. How long do yours take usually? Also i just downloaded the 4.2.10 version for the Iphone Verizon. am i currently up to date? Thanks!
    All of my updates have taken approximately 30 minutes. The latest update (4.2.10) took about 20 minutes.

Yes, 4.2.10 is the latest iOS version for the CDMA iPhone.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    6,391 Global Posts

The speed at which the update is downloaded depends on your internet connection. You said that your internet connection is not that good and that you are sharing the connection with your neighbor. This being the case, could explain why the updates take longer.
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    134 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    5.0GM

Considering these updates are a full image, and that sits around 600mb+

And the average american household internet speeds are around 3mbps. 20-45 min is normal to pull down that data.
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    77 Global Posts

Just updated to 4.2.10 and the download (high speed cable) took 9 minutes and the actual update took another 7-8 minutes, so around 16 minutes total. Other updates have been about the same with the variable being the update download, so your shared internet connection could be causing a delay. Next time you do a OS update look at iTunes during the download, it will indicate the file download time.
    iPhone Beginner

iOS Version

4.2.10 roughly took me 10 minutes on high speed cable... probably wasn't helping that I was streaming netflix on xbox live at the same time when it was downloading lol.
    Mac Products: VZW White iPhone 4 32Gb || VZW White iPad 2 32Gb
    Other Gadgets: Alienware Area 51 Desktop || ASUS N61JQ-B1 16" Laptop