Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    28 Global Posts

Default iTunes Sync issue

So everything is going great ever since I purchased my iPhone. All updates done to the phone and iTunes.

Until yesterday when I loaded the new iTunes. Now it takes forever to even get to "step 1 of 5" and once there iTunes locks up. It also slows down my computer to a point I have to cancel the sync from the iPhone side. I even have to hit task manager (yes windows) to "end task" iTunes.

Any help would be nice ,,, other than buy a Mac <-- that's on its way.
    iPhone Beginner

Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I would just reinstall itunes. Sounds more like a computer issue than a phone issue.
    "Sure thing buddy"

iP4 - 16G - Verizon - 4.2.6 - JB - GP RC5 b4
    White iP4 - 16G - Verizon - 4.2.8 - Vanilla

Make sure to give thanks where thanks is due.

Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    13,207 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by Dustoff-00 View Post
    So everything is going great ever since I purchased my iPhone. All updates done to the phone and iTunes.

Until yesterday when I loaded the new iTunes. Now it takes forever to even get to "step 1 of 5" and once there iTunes locks up. It also slows down my computer to a point I have to cancel the sync from the iPhone side. I even have to hit task manager (yes windows) to "end task" iTunes.

Any help would be nice ,,, other than buy a Mac <-- that's on its way.
    This happened many and many times on my windows PC. Now that I have a Mac, has not happened once. iTunes and windows dont get along if you ask me,
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    1,632 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I've had lots of problems with Windows 7 and iTunes crashing my entire system and needing a force reboot. HOWEVER, somewhere along the way in this MOST frustrating sequence of events, a message came up on iTunes that my iPhone/iPad needed to be unlocked before it was hooked up to the computer. Ever since I've been doing this, all has worked smoothly (knock on wood). Maybe there's some secret in this???
    Always learning ...
    iPhone Intermediate

iOS Version

If your Windows is 64 bit that may be the cause. I know my brother was able to install the wrong iTunes verison on his Windows computer and had iTunes always hanging.

I would try uninstalling and reinstalling.

If all else fails fork out the better experience with a Mac
  6. Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    28 Global Posts

Thanks guys for all the info. The problem started when I updated iTunes to this newest version. Before that, no problems at all. It just worked.....everyday.

That being said, I just re-installed iTunes and will try the "unlock" method on my next attempt. Which will happen shortly and I'm done typing this. Don't want it to lock my system (32 bit) before I hit "post".
  7. Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    28 Global Posts

Nothing, It locked up at step 1 of 5.

I will try it on a different machine to see if that helps. The other machine does not have iTunes at all and never has. But we will see.
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    2,501 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    5.0 B7

Did you try 10.4?
  9. Thread AuthorThread Author   #9  
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    28 Global Posts

That was with 10.4 installed.
  10. Thread AuthorThread Author   #10  
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    28 Global Posts

Been using a different machine to sync lately. went back to machine with original problem and it hangs at step 1.

any suggestions?