Pic: How the iPhone changed the mobile phone industry

Hup55

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
Funny thing is the razor was a huge success for Motorola??? I can't figure that one out?? I remember friends running around saying look at my razor when I had my BB??? How things have changed!

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
The Razor was successful because it was vastly different than the other phones on the market at the time...it was stream lined, it was an "mp3" player, it included features that were popular at the time and it had a name that was "cool" as far as marketing terms go.

People didn't understand the potential that cell phones could have, so blackberrys and Treo's were largely avoided as being too complex...the iPhone brought a phone with the same potential and even more features but made it more appealing to the general masses, and also introduced a touch screen that was beyond anything that had already been out (and in many ways, still is with the retina display on the 4).

Truth be told, when the iPhone came out...EVERYTHING that Apple made was changing the game in some way or another. When people say Apple are not innovators, i immediately view their opinions with zero credibility.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Doesn't matter whether what came before the iPhone was a smartphone or feature phone. The point is that the iPhone was the first black slab, and everything that followed is a black slab. Even the few Android devices with slide out keyboards are stil...black slabs. The clamshell design is gone.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
Funny thing is the razor was a huge success for Motorola??? I can't figure that one out?? I remember friends running around saying look at my razor when I had my BB??? How things have changed!

The razr was a cool phone. That's why it was a hit.

Not many people were interested in portable email in 2004. Still not that many people were interested in any smart phone until the earliest I would say is 2008. No one took the iPhone seriously until the App Store launched. I was laughed at for a full year, then I remember showing people Shazam and blowing their minds in 2008. All those people laughing are now smart phone users of some kind; loaded with apps.

Now that everyone's phone does more than just email with apps everyone HAS to have a smart phone. Anyone else agree? IMO it's the apps, not the hardware that took smart phones to the next level.

dublex

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
I love how when people go out and claim the iPhone is stealing so many features from Android and BlackBerry with its current features in iOS 5; Yet no one likes to point out that Android took the whole OS concept from apple while BlackBerry took the whole App store feature as well. Never do you hear these things...

St3ib

May 8, 2011
Visit site
I love how when people go out and claim the iPhone is stealing so many features from Android and BlackBerry with its current features in iOS 5; Yet no one likes to point out that Android took the whole OS concept from apple while BlackBerry took the whole App store feature as well. Never do you hear these things...

Its all about beating up the big guy. Look at the crap Walmart takes about everything they do. Are they the only retailer doing these things? No!! They are just the biggest so they get picked on.

When a company gets big, the other companies in the same industry get scared and thats when the bashing starts.

entwined82

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
Was thinking the same thing. Still, it's a telling graphic. Especially when the likes of HTC are accusing Apple of never innovating.

I think you misunderstand HTC's statement about Apple not innovating. To me it seemed like they were saying Apple no longer innovates and instead relies on courts/patents to crush the competition. Its impossible to deny that even shipped incomplete compared to other phones on the market like BB or Windows Mobile devices at the time (no MMS, no notification bar, no ability to change wallpapers, no video recording, no 3G) that the original iphone changed smartphones in terms of look and style. To deny that is simply foolish.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
In all fairness to Google/Android...Apple has copied some innovative features and implemented them (or soon will be) into the iPhone...so their claim isn't 100% flaccid.

Where the issue falls is that people have to acknowledge that ALL of the companies do this to each other. Every one of them has filed some kind of suit for whatever reason claiming this feature is their patent or that feature is their patent...and in the end, they all end up using each others technology regardless, and nobody really comes out any better for the law suits.

They do it to draw attention, and create "buzz", realizing that 99.9999% of the time, their efforts are moot because the things they are trying to get courts to side with them on are so generic, they're usually either laughed out of the room or given a tiny little compensation to basically say "Tough sh*t guys, move on."

In the end, all of the companies will be using each others "innovations" because no ONE company is going to figure it all out perfectly the first time to claim it as their own...its all about creating a tool and then refining it to your own standards and making it as close to "your own" as you can...

...and then suing the guy next to you that made the same tool with an optional piece on it because you're upset that you didn't think of that first...it's the American dream!

buci1er

Aug 18, 2010
Visit site

everyone want's a shot at the champ =)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox