Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Nanite

Post Help me!How could I backup iphone 3GS sms/contact to new iphone 4?

I am trying to get my SMS,contacts and pictures on my iPhone to be put either onto my computer or onto iTunes and I don't know how to do this.
    Any help or advice would be greatly received.
    Thanks in advance.
    iMore Genius

iOS Version
    iOS 7.1 b5

Are you upgrading to a new device? All you have to do is plug the 3GS into your computer and do a sync and back up. Then disconnect the 3GS, plug in the iPhone 4 and do a restore from the back up.
    Curmudgeon and Former Member/Participant
    iPhone 5S / iPad Mini Retina / 15" MacBook Pro Retina
    iPhone Newbie

iOS Version

I agree with HankAZ --that is, of course, if you're upgrading to a new iPhone. Otherwise, you're going to hit a brick wall in terms of moving your SMS from a non-Apple device. The contacts, however, shouldn't be a problem.
    iPhone Newbie

Smile

I'm sure I you right click your phone icon in iTunes it brings up a couple of options. One of those should be backup. That's what I did when I got a replacement and it backed up everything.
  5. Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  
    iPhone Nanite

Hey thanks for the clue!
    iPhone Nanite

I have the same question, thank you guys to share your experience.
    iPhone Nanite

iTunes only allows one-way transfer, from iTunes to iPhone, not the other way around. You will need some iPhone-to-mac transfer program to help you. You may have a look at this step-by-step guide on:How to transfer all iphone files between iphone and computer/iTunes.It includes the transferring of music, photos, videos, SMS, Contact ect. between iPod/iPhone/iPad and computer(PC or Mac).

Backup iphone SMS messages and contact to computer(Mac) in :

URL= www#mustsoftware#com

(Note:Please instend of # by . and copy the URL in your browser)
    iPhone Nanite

If i'm not mistaken you plug your 3GS into itunes and hit Backup, then plug your 4G and hit restore. All done!
    iPhone Nanite

iOS Version
    iOS 5.01

For contacts is perfect free app in appstore "my contacts backup" This convert your contats to vcard,then email this file to your self. Then open this email in new iphone and from vcard file restore all contacts.