Question about using find my iPhone out of the country

Chavista

Aug 31, 2009
Visit site
My wife is about th leave the country and go to the island of Antigua, we use find my iphone on her phones. My question is are there any financial/data costs of using find my iphone when she travel out of the U.S.?

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I think AT&T charges something like $1.30 for international roaming per minute...where they get you is on data usage, we went to Tahiti a couple of years back, and we used a bunch of MMS messages to send pics to family and holy crap, we got hit with like $100 over our normal bill (they charge like $2/message for MMS). We were also using it for tethering so we could skype and show my dad the view from our room and like 5min. of data usage was some stupid amount.

At least it worked though, before 3G service was around, we went to Italy and i had a blackberry at the time and it didn't work at all over there...it never even tried to connect to a roaming signal, which sucked (but thankfully we had someone with us that was from Italy and had a phone we could use that didn't cost them anything...

I believe they have a plan though if you go out of country often, it sent me a text message asking if i wanted to join the world hopper plan or something like that...

Last edited:
Reactions: Chavista

swooshme

Sep 1, 2009
Visit site
My wife is about th leave the country and go to the island of Antigua, we use find my iphone on her phones. My question is are there any financial/data costs of using find my iphone when she travel out of the U.S.?

Yes. The data does cost. It's not cheap, but it's cheaper than when I used it last month. ATT recently updated their international data plans and lowered the prices. Last month i paid $60 for 50MB plan, and I think now they have 125 or 150MB plan for $50.

Alternatively, if you've turned off data roaming on your phone (which it is by default) the data service won't work when your over there. And if you do not enable at least explanded international roaming or ATT world connect plan, your voice service won't work outside the US either.

I would highly recommend NOT sending any MMS or text messages while in another country. It's not very cost effective. I would just send emails to folks if they HAD to have a picture and even then I always waited until I was on wifi to do so.

(This is all assuming you are from the US and using ATT as your carrier)

Reactions: Chavista

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2