Help please

jeffw78

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
I know this topic is a deeply personal decision. But I have a problem.
I routinely switch from a very protective case (griffin survivor) to either naked or a bumper. I love the protection the survivor offers, but also love the ease of use with the bumper or nothing at all. I recently posted about my cracked back, which sucks, but it could have been worse. Even without the griffin, I still slip the iPhone into a padded neoprene sleeve for pocket carry. Honestly, the most dangerous thing my phone ever meets is my one year old, and I'm pretty good about keeping it away from her. I guess when I consider the "what if?" that's. When I go back to the big case. Just looking for others opinions. Thanks.

Rusty Shackelford#IM

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I am sporting the vapor pro black ops edition. While it is pricey? In my opinion it is the best solution out there. You get maximum protection with minimal bulk because it is a bumper style aluminum case that has a stick on leather back similar to zaggs leather covers. If you can front the money it is worth it.

jeffw78

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I have been looking at those a lot. I really like the bumper style cases. I very seldom drop the phone. In fact, it was drunk when I did. That in itself doesn't happen often. Thanks a bunch for your input.

jonmark

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
I kinda go through the same dilemma from time to time. I go back and forth between my Otterbox Defender and bumper/naked ... I love love love the protection of the Otterbox and I also breath a little easier knowing that no hard can come to my iPhone. But the feel of it naked, or with just a bumper, is so amazing that I have to take the defender off from time to time. Granted, I'm WAY more careful with it off, and I watch what I do a lot more.

I've replaced the back glass once because of having it naked for long periods of time - not that it broke or shattered, but it just got some small scratches and I'm OCD about a pristine looking phone, lol. I currently have a shield protection on the back glass, and it's naked while I'm home and using a bumper when I leave the house. But I'm sure by the end of the week it'll be back in the defender for a while. It just comes down to how carefully I want to watch my iPhone and habits at any specific time.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
No case...all day, every day. I used to be a heavy stickler for the using of a case, but after removing mine to clean my phone one day and forgetting to put the case back on, i found myself enjoying the naked life. I gave my cases to my wife, who won't live without her phone in a case, and i strut around nude with a smile on my face.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Migh make it to apple store tomorrow. Is a cracked back a genius appointment, or can a regular associate help me??

If you want assistance in a timely manner (at least in the Atlanta area), an appointment is a necessity. The sales people can help answer questions, but without an appointment, you'll still be waiting for 4 days...lol.

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Nearly every person i have ever known that has cracked their back glass has received a free replacement through the apple store...so i'd deff give it a shot.

so let me get this straight... drop phone and break glass-go to Apple store and say "hi, i am an idiot, i dropped my phone and broke the glass"-they replace, no questions asked??

does this ONLY apply to the back glass?

also, how many times can this be done?

do they document so they'll know if it there has been replacement already?

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
so let me get this straight... drop phone and break glass-go to Apple store and say "hi, i am an idiot, i dropped my phone and broke the glass"-they replace, no questions asked??

does this ONLY apply to the back glass?

also, how many times can this be done?

do they document so they'll know if it there has been replacement already?

That's pretty much the jest i got from it...my nephew threw my sisters phone onto the concrete in their driveway, and it busted the back glass to pieces (front was ok), she brought it in and they replaced it...no questions asked, and no charge.

I doubt the front is the same, i broke my 3G's front glass and asked for a replacement and they wanted like $150 or something at the Apple store to do it...

jeffw78

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
well, my story is a little more complicated than that. I've had an ongoing issue with heating up and not responding. After we discussed that, the genius was not concerned about the back glass at all. Handed me a replacement phone and apologized for my trouble.

Setting up the new phone now...

Ham Solo

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
well, my story is a little more complicated than that. I've had an ongoing issue with heating up and not responding. After we discussed that, the genius was not concerned about the back glass at all. Handed me a replacement phone and apologized for my trouble.

Setting up the new phone now...

Very, very cool of Apple to do that.

jeffw78

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
Agreed. I've been there twice. Once with my wife's phone and now this issue. Both times apple has exceeded my expectations. I was fully prepared to just "deal" with either phone until upgrade time. Apple's customer service beats ANY company I have ever felt with.