Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Intermediate

Default How to edit notes

Something you'd think I'd know how to do after earning every model of the iPhone..

someone help me out...
    iPhone 4 16GB
    iMore Genius

iOS Version
    iOS 7.1 b5

There's an app for that

open the Notes app... select the Note to be edited... just make the changes... it's deceivingly simple... I expected to see an "EDIT" button or something, but there is none... when you leave the screen, the note is saved.

It threw me for a loop the first time or two that I tried it.
    Curmudgeon and Former Member/Participant
    iPhone 5S / iPad Mini Retina / 15" MacBook Pro Retina
  3. Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  
    iPhone Intermediate

guess what, it's not that simple.. I tried that.. wnot let me.. wont pull up a keyboard.

been like this for awhile.
    iPhone 4 16GB
    iMore Genius

iOS Version
    iOS 7.1 b5

Quote Originally Posted by OKCChuck View Post
    guess what, it's not that simple.. I tried that.. wnot let me.. wont pull up a keyboard.

Wow. That's strange... I just bring up the note and tap in the text area and the keyboard pops up.

Anything strange/unique about your phone? What OS version? JB?
    Curmudgeon and Former Member/Participant
    iPhone 5S / iPad Mini Retina / 15" MacBook Pro Retina
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    8,898 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    Taco Bell

Quote Originally Posted by OKCChuck View Post

Snippy arn't ya? lol...

It actually is that simple, you apparently have something wrong with your iPhone, which makes it impossible for us to help you figuring out how to edit your notes within your note application because for every other person in the entire world with an iPhone that is functioning properly, editing a note is as simple as opening the note you wish to add/subtract/ to or change, touching the field and editing to your hearts content.

Do you have some kind of security feature or app enabled which would lock unauthorized access to said notes? The notes app doesn't have a native security function (even in settings) so it would have to be something you downloaded outside of notes...what that could be is kind of hard to identify because there are so many securing apps of different sorts, and only you know what you've downloaded in the past.

If that is not the case, then apparently you have some kind of glitch in the software that isn't allowing access...your only bet at that point is to restore.

One last idea i had was the possibility that the notes were brought over from another iPhone that was sync'ed under a different account, im not sure if it works like this but perhaps the notes are safe guarded because they were brought to your newest iPhone but were written under a different account on another iPhone?
    "Speed has never killed anyone; suddenly becoming stationary...that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson
    iPhone Nanite

Smile Problem editing 'notes'

I've just had the same problem and have solved the 'editing problem'. My iPhone wouldn't bring up the keyboard either.
    When I synced/backed up, I went into the iTunes 'info' table, scrolled down to the section 'other' and ticked 'sync notes'.
    It seemed to do the trick as for some reason this had changed.
    I have now re-synced and it works. Worth a try!
    iPhone Nanite

Default Re: How to edit notes

I had this problem too. It wasn't a problem with software or hardware, it was a problem with my attempts to edit. I tried to select the previously created note by "pressing" on the note where I wished to edit. It would not open my note for editing. Then I stumbled on the fact that "tapping" the note was the way to go.
    Tapping the note opens the note for editing every time!
    iPhone Nanite

Default Re: How to edit notes in iPhone

Go to the line you want to edit a note and just tap lightly. This then brings up the keyboard. It is important that you do not press or hold your finger on the screen.