Text Emoticons

Status
Not open for further replies.

wifeypoo

May 1, 2011
Visit site
This sounds so silly, and it's not that big of a deal, but I'm curious, why doesn't the iPhone translate emoticons when in texting app? Or does it, and I just don't know how to "make the manatee go"?

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Because the only emoticons that can be used are part of an entirely different keyboard configuration and do not have any link to the other keyboards inputs, so putting :) does not equal the same smiley face you get using the iemoji app's keyboard function...

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
I thought the iPhone translated them pretty well, and it was the sending phone that only spoke one language. ;)

iV1SHAL

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
Because the only emoticons that can be used are part of an entirely different keyboard configuration and do not have any link to the other keyboards inputs, so putting :) does not equal the same smiley face you get using the iemoji app's keyboard function...

Spot on. Too many variations for translation.

wifeypoo

May 1, 2011
Visit site
I thought the iPhone translated them pretty well, and it was the sending phone that only spoke one language. ;)

Thanks everyone. I'm not interested in downloading a separate text app just to get emoticons. I was just curious if I was doing something wrong. As for the quote above, I never receive any texts as emoticons. My husband has an Evo, and his only work if you put a nose in it. :) We tried that, but it didn't work.

How about just a standard smiley: :) Or a winky: ;) Why don't these work? All my other phones have translated them just fine.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Even for those you'll have to install the emoji keyboard. It's not a separate app, just something that will allow you to see emotis rather than punctuation.

Reactions: wifeypoo

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Thanks everyone. I'm not interested in downloading a separate text app just to get emoticons. I was just curious if I was doing something wrong. As for the quote above, I never receive any texts as emoticons. My husband has an Evo, and his only work if you put a nose in it. :) We tried that, but it didn't work.

How about just a standard smiley: :) Or a winky: ;) Why don't these work? All my other phones have translated them just fine.

Bottom line, in stock form, the iPhone doesn't have graphic based emoticons that are translatable from keyboard entries...not sure why you wouldn't be interested in downloading a free app that would allow the use of emoticons, but hey, whatever floats your boat...

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Bottom line, in stock form, the iPhone doesn't have graphic based emoticons that are translatable from keyboard entries...not sure why you wouldn't be interested in downloading a free app that would allow the use of emoticons, but hey, whatever floats your boat...

I used one of the add on emoticon apps... and it worked great with other iPhones, regardless of whether or not the recipient had an emoticon app installed... but was garbage to non-iPhones... wouldn't that indicate that the iPhone can interpret them correctly?

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
^^^ The iPhone basically sends these as graphic inputs, almost like an MMS...my point was that the iPhone can interpret an input like a ":" followed by a ")" and create a graphic representation of a smiley face, which is why you can still send the ": )" right next to an emoticon :) and they are still separate things.

wifeypoo

May 1, 2011
Visit site

It just seems silly that you'd have to download a separate app for it, first off. Second, I didn't know it was just something that allowed your already existing text app to display them. When someone suggests to DL an app, it insinuates that it's a separate app. I didn't care for that. So yes, that "floats my boat," thanks.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
It just seems silly that you'd have to download a separate app for it, first off. Second, I didn't know it was just something that allowed your already existing text app to display them. When someone suggests to DL an app, it insinuates that it's a separate app. I didn't care for that. So yes, that "floats my boat," thanks.

The iPhone is a phone that centers every action around the use of an app, from making a phone call to playing a game...doesn't really seem odd to me that they'd have an app for emoticons. I guess the only real "silly" thing i could see in it is that the iPhone didn't come with native emoticon language within it's messaging application, but my guess would be the development work they did with marketing research probably resulted in people saying "I'd prefer my text messages not look like this :D:eek::):(:confused::p;):rolleyes::cool::eek: "

But either way, you have your answer...now go enjoy your smileys, since your boat is now floating, thanks.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Also if you had emoticons in the messages app then that would mean you wouldn't have it in the system. Using the emoji app means you can use the emoji in any app that uses the keyboard notes, twitter, email, etc. It does suck that only another iPhone will be able to see the emoticons in SMS but that is just the way it works. This is how it is sometimes it doesn't make sense but that is just the way things work.

If you do use emoji and notice that typing causes the diagonal letter to appear the solution is to switch to the emoji keyboard and then back to the regular keyboard.

wifeypoo

May 1, 2011
Visit site
Even for those you'll have to install the emoji keyboard. It's not a separate app, just something that will allow you to see emotis rather than punctuation.

For the record, I did download Emoji Free, and it IS a separate app. It does not work within the texting app.

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
jutqo5.jpg

Reactions: wifeypoo

wifeypoo

May 1, 2011
Visit site
Thank you, Blink!

But I've installed the keyboard, and followed all the instructions on there (which were not the same was what you posted. Do I have the wrong app?), but the globe icon doesn't appear in my texting app.

wifeypoo

May 1, 2011
Visit site
Works now! It turns out the app I needed wasn't "Emoji Free!", or "Emoji Free+", but "Emoji Free!!".

TWO exclamation points, what was I thinking downloading the app with only ONE exclamation point. What a pain. ;)

Thanks for all your help, everyone. Even you and your horrible attitude, "SeanHRCC". Hope TiPb is paying you well these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.