Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    29 Global Posts

Default What an iPhone can't do?

I am currently using the HTC Thunderbolt but I'm considering switching to the iPhone 4. What are some things i cannot do on the iPhone compared to a droid? Or what are some things you wish you could do am iPhone, but can't?
    iMore Elite

Global Posts
    3,255 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by alexrogers85 View Post
    I am currently using the HTC Thunderbolt but I'm considering switching to the iPhone 4. What are some things i cannot do on the iPhone compared to a droid? Or what are some things you wish you could do am iPhone, but can't?
    You are going to need to be a lot more specific to your needs because everyone's opinion will differ based on their own needs, wants, desires for how their smart phone should work.

There's nothing the iPhone can't do that an Android phone can IMO.

I bet there will be a string of people commenting below me about how it doesn't background or run widgets. I counter that with great battery life and a phone I don't need to reset and pull the battery out of because I need to manually manage every process like I used to do in 2006.

What do you want your phone to do for you? That's the question.

Edit - One thing it most certainly cannot do is Flash. But again, unimportant to me.
    Last edited by sting7k; 06-30-2011 at 01:43 PM.

Global Posts
    2,008 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I'm missing the widgets, the Mark as Read in email, setting Google Voice as my default text app, Google Navigation and flash at times.
  4. Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    29 Global Posts

Anything specific with notifications? I hear notifications suck. Also, how easy is it to jailbreak it?
    iPhone Newbie

I came over from Android and I would never go back. Most of the things that you may miss early on you won't miss after a week of using the iPhone. For any remaining items well there is iOS 5 right around the bend to take of those.

Global Posts
    2,008 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Popup notifications are terrible and it's very easy to jailbreak.
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    2,139 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rayz336 View Post
    Popup notifications are terrible and it's very easy to jailbreak.
    This answer is definitely an opion based answer. For me personally I don't mind the popup notifications. And it is very easy to jailbreak.
    iMore Intermediate

iOS Version

iOS 5 changes the notification system to be less distracting. I'm on beta 2. In 4.3 I would turn some of the notifications off so they would interrupt what I'm doing. With the current notification system, nothing gets in my way. I can play games without getting fragged cause a modal popup has stopped my action.

Jailbreaking is fairly simple. Just wait before updating your jailbroken device till it is deemed safe by the jailbreak community.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "If you settle for less, you'll settle for anything."
    iPhone Nanite

Global Posts
    5 Global Posts

You canít transfer files, photos or access internet using your computer internet using the built in iPhone Bluetooth. It simply canít.
    What the heck manÖ? In 2005, my Windows Mobile iPAQ used to do it like charm.
    iMore Expert

Global Posts
    870 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS6

Quote Originally Posted by Eloise View Post
    You canít transfer files, photos or access internet using your computer internet using the built in iPhone Bluetooth. It simply canít.
    True...but with apps like DropBox, BoxNet, and other apps like D2G and OpenOffice having their own WiFi sync with your computer, this is not as big a deal as it use to be. Getting files, even large ones, are fairly easy to get onto your iPhone/iPad.
    JB iPhone 3G => 16G iPhone 4 iOS5, 16G iPad1 iOS5 => iP5 32Gig White, iPad4 32Gig Black

Also up and running on Twitter @AUDad

Also on Google+ if you are on there.
    gdasilva likes this.
    iMore Elite

Global Posts
    3,255 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by Eloise View Post
    There are many apps that let you mount the iPhone as a network drive over wifi and transfer any file you want. Why would I need to connect my iPhone to my computer to use the internet? It has it's own connection, 2 in fact.
    iPhone Newbie

I too am looking to switch from a thunderbolt to iphone...flash was a big concern. can the iphone use a "swype" keyboard...i actually happen to love it
    iMore Elite

Global Posts
    3,255 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by l_boogie820 View Post
    I too am looking to switch from a thunderbolt to iphone...flash was a big concern. can the iphone use a "swype" keyboard...i actually happen to love it
    Nope, there's another one. No swype and no Flash.
    iPhone Pro

Global Posts
    693 Global Posts
    iOS Version

only thing I miss is google navigation from my htc evo 4g. but then again I never really used it anyways.
    iPhone 4S ~ 32GB ~ Verizon
    Twitter
    iPhone Intermediate

iOS Version

None of those "easily shared by bluetooth" ringtones here, if you're into that. At least, on the non-JB phones.
    iPhone Nanite

Swype has been ported over.
    iPhone Intermediate

First off, no LTE. It will be slower. But battery life will be better.
    Screen size will be smaller
    Widgets will be missed. I still miss them. But life goes on.
    Notifications suck now but iOS 5 is fixing that
    Google voice is 100000x better on Android.
    Google maps on Android destroy's iOS google maps.
    No free GPS.
    The live wallpapers were fun
    Flash to me (I was running the original droid, don't think you would have this problem on a thunderbolt), was pointless- too slow. The only time I found it useful was when I tried to go to a local restaurant's website and it was flash. Don't miss it. Really.

But overall, I love my iPhone 4. No regrets.
    iPhone Beginner

Global Posts
    97 Global Posts
    iOS Version

It's missing the t9 feature, flash, cannot quick reply unless you jailbreak (very easy).
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    387 Global Posts

There really isn't much an Iphone can't do versus the Thunderbolt. Although, the Thunderbolt is newer to the market therefore, has a few more niceties.

Lets remember, we are talking about two different softwares. That said, what the Apple iOS system was intended to do, it does extremely well. Overall performance is rock solid.

Both devices can do something the other cannot so, knowing upfront what features you would like in the phone is very important. If your expectation is widgets, notifications, flash then, you may want to hold off. See what the next iteration of iOS brings, it may make your decision easier.

Best of luck...
    iPhone Nanite

I actually prefer the Google Voice UI on the iphone vs Android.

I just came from an Android device and the two big ones are 1. Google maps is a way better GPS system (vs Mapquest) and 2. The cloud syncing system is really nice. Apple will be getting that soon but until then be prepared to need your computer for updates and syncing.
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I'm ready to jump ship from the Droid X as well. I'll miss the Google navigation, but to be honest since Gingerbread it hasn't worked anyways. I'll miss the widgets and a few things, but I'll be gaining some stability which is missing since the GB update. Battery life was actually really great on the Droid before the update. No so much now. My wife's new iphone 4 has been doing well on battery so that's a worry I don't have now when I switch. I've gotten to get extended play time with her iPhone and it's won me over. My work got me a 3GS when they came out, but the signal with AT&T was so horrible I stayed with my blackberry on Verizon and they pay the service. Now I can have the best of both worlds.
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    201 Global Posts

I didn't come from a Droid but a BlackBerry instead and the only one thing that I miss (and can't believe it's not an option on iPhone) is that with my BB I could choose to delete mail on my device but not in my actual mailbox. As far as I know you can't do this with the iPhone. If you delete the mail on your device, you delete it altogether - unless I'm missing something?
    Premium1 likes this.
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    1,966 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by LadyBug View Post
    I didn't come from a Droid but a BlackBerry instead and the only one thing that I miss (and can't believe it's not an option on iPhone) is that with my BB I could choose to delete mail on my device but not in my actual mailbox. As far as I know you can't do this with the iPhone. If you delete the mail on your device, you delete it altogether - unless I'm missing something?
    It depends what type of email you have. If using an exchange type mail if you delete off the iPhone it also deletes off the server which in turn deletes it of other devices. Exchange treats all devices as seeing 1 document that is shared between all devices.

A pop3 type account will treat the email as separate documents meaning you have to delete it off of all devices separately.
    ~Jimmers aka @Harley_Dude on Twitter. Follow me. I always follow back.
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    201 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jimmers View Post
    It depends what type of email you have. If using an exchange type mail if you delete off the iPhone it also deletes off the server which in turn deletes it of other devices. Exchange treats all devices as seeing 1 document that is shared between all devices.

A pop3 type account will treat the email as separate documents meaning you have to delete it off of all devices separately.
    Hmm...I'm only using my own personal gmail and yahoo addresses. I could not find any setting that allows me to delete the email off of my iPhone yet keep it in my mailbox if I were to check my mail online. Every time I've deleted and email on my phone, it's also gone when I log in from a computer. So I'm not really sure how to fix that. If you know what I'm doing wrong, I welcome the input!
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    134 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    5.0GM

Little things you take for granted really.

Having to connect to your PC to update the software is rather annoying. Although they claim to have that fixed in iOS5, but you STILL need to plug the thing in to get it.

Demanding WiFi for certain apps in the store.

No on-phone file management system.

No easy way to get a ringtone. Seriously this is rather annoying to me. You have to do all of this song and dance to get a ringtone you like.

Internet browsing on it is slower compared to Android's browsing speed. No point in even arguing that point, it's just a fact. My iPhone crawls on the net compared to my old Droid. Also my internet magically becomes faster (WAY faster) when it's tethered. This is just a limitation of the phone currently. Hopefully iOS5 fixes this.

A notification sound regardless of what it is for (A text, or groupon bugging the crap out of me 30 million times a day) has to be the same. My text message's and facebook alerts HAVE to share the same sound. A little irritating not knowing what I can and cannot ignore until I look at the phone.

The notifications are amazingly annoying. But as mentioned a billion times; is being fixed.

No facetime over 3G is rather annoying. But again, iOS5 claims to deliver.

The map's application is smooth and cute, but not the powerhouse that map's in on android. The "directions" it gives you is laughable as it is just as useful as printing out old map quest directions 10 years ago. The fact that I have to pay for navi is rather annoying and the biggest thing I miss from android.

But the phone is good. Really good. The camera is fantastic. Call quality is great. The screen is spot on! And the phone itself is gorgeous! So many people choose to hide their phone behind walls of plastic and metal. I love to show it off!

But the real deal is the app store. Many people can argue it. But the appstore is just plain better than the android market. Did I have to pay for Angry birds this time around? Yup! But it looks better! And get's updates first. Plus the app-store gets preference when dev's make apps usually.

And when it comes down to it, that is where they make or break. People spend all their time on these devices buying, downloading, and playing/using these apps. That's easily 75% of the phones usage.

Before you'd hop on facebook{DAWT}com, but now you just go to the app!
    Same for nearly everything else. They've compartmentalized the internet into nice little bite sized pieces. And those little pieces are a billion times better on the app store.

***EDIT***
    And NO HDMI out! Seriously, I would LOVE to mirror my iPhone on my TV. The iPad can with iOS5, and it is rather annoying that the iPhone cannot.

***EDIT 2***
    If I am incorrect on something here, and you know a way to fix any of my issues, let me know.
    Last edited by Genericmessage00; 07-14-2011 at 04:42 AM.
    gdasilva likes this.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast