What an iPhone can't do?

alexrogers#AC

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
I am currently using the HTC Thunderbolt but I'm considering switching to the iPhone 4. What are some things i cannot do on the iPhone compared to a droid? Or what are some things you wish you could do am iPhone, but can't?

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
I am currently using the HTC Thunderbolt but I'm considering switching to the iPhone 4. What are some things i cannot do on the iPhone compared to a droid? Or what are some things you wish you could do am iPhone, but can't?

You are going to need to be a lot more specific to your needs because everyone's opinion will differ based on their own needs, wants, desires for how their smart phone should work.

There's nothing the iPhone can't do that an Android phone can IMO.

I bet there will be a string of people commenting below me about how it doesn't background or run widgets. I counter that with great battery life and a phone I don't need to reset and pull the battery out of because I need to manually manage every process like I used to do in 2006.

What do you want your phone to do for you? That's the question.

Edit - One thing it most certainly cannot do is Flash. But again, unimportant to me.

Last edited:

rayz336

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
I'm missing the widgets, the Mark as Read in email, setting Google Voice as my default text app, Google Navigation and flash at times.

trevgriff#IM

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site

I came over from Android and I would never go back. Most of the things that you may miss early on you won't miss after a week of using the iPhone. For any remaining items well there is iOS 5 right around the bend to take of those.

Dryland

Jul 10, 2009
Visit site
iOS 5 changes the notification system to be less distracting. I'm on beta 2. In 4.3 I would turn some of the notifications off so they would interrupt what I'm doing. With the current notification system, nothing gets in my way. I can play games without getting fragged cause a modal popup has stopped my action.

Jailbreaking is fairly simple. Just wait before updating your jailbroken device till it is deemed safe by the jailbreak community.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eloise

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
You can?t transfer files, photos or access internet using your computer internet using the built in iPhone Bluetooth. It simply can?t.
What the heck man?? In 2005, my Windows Mobile iPAQ used to do it like charm.

Brickman

Nov 28, 2008
Visit site
You can?t transfer files, photos or access internet using your computer internet using the built in iPhone Bluetooth. It simply can?t.

True...but with apps like DropBox, BoxNet, and other apps like D2G and OpenOffice having their own WiFi sync with your computer, this is not as big a deal as it use to be. Getting files, even large ones, are fairly easy to get onto your iPhone/iPad.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site

There are many apps that let you mount the iPhone as a network drive over wifi and transfer any file you want. Why would I need to connect my iPhone to my computer to use the internet? It has it's own connection, 2 in fact.

L_Boogie820

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
I too am looking to switch from a thunderbolt to iphone...flash was a big concern. can the iphone use a "swype" keyboard...i actually happen to love it

Sketso

Jan 11, 2010
Visit site
None of those "easily shared by bluetooth" ringtones here, if you're into that. At least, on the non-JB phones.

thinkTwice

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site

First off, no LTE. It will be slower. But battery life will be better.
Screen size will be smaller
Widgets will be missed. I still miss them. But life goes on.
Notifications suck now but iOS 5 is fixing that
Google voice is 100000x better on Android.
Google maps on Android destroy's iOS google maps.
No free GPS.
The live wallpapers were fun
Flash to me (I was running the original droid, don't think you would have this problem on a thunderbolt), was pointless- too slow. The only time I found it useful was when I tried to go to a local restaurant's website and it was flash. Don't miss it. Really.

But overall, I love my iPhone 4. No regrets.

Adawg1203

May 9, 2011
Visit site

There really isn't much an Iphone can't do versus the Thunderbolt. Although, the Thunderbolt is newer to the market therefore, has a few more niceties.

Lets remember, we are talking about two different softwares. That said, what the Apple iOS system was intended to do, it does extremely well. Overall performance is rock solid.

Both devices can do something the other cannot so, knowing upfront what features you would like in the phone is very important. If your expectation is widgets, notifications, flash then, you may want to hold off. See what the next iteration of iOS brings, it may make your decision easier.

Best of luck...

Johnny Alien

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
I actually prefer the Google Voice UI on the iphone vs Android.

I just came from an Android device and the two big ones are 1. Google maps is a way better GPS system (vs Mapquest) and 2. The cloud syncing system is really nice. Apple will be getting that soon but until then be prepared to need your computer for updates and syncing.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox