Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Nanite

Global Posts
    43 Global Posts

Default Disillusioned BlackBerry (ab)user

I'm not a hater or a troll or whatever else, but, I am getting frustrated with waiting for a headline grabbing phone from RIM.
    I would like to ask a few questions from people who know this platform. I have only used a BlackBerry smartphone, so my experience is all RIM.
    My main needs are text communication - be it SMS, email, IM (BBM mainly) or facebook/twitter. I don't make a massive amount of phone calls.
    I have to be able to use Wi-Fi as I live in a poor reception area for my network and although this is an issue, becasue of my heavily discounted broadband by having a mobile phone from them, I am happy to stay - as long as I can use Wi-Fi. I currently use the Wi-Fi for sending SMS, email, IM (BBM mainly) and facebook/twitter and the odd time I make/receive a call.
    I have 6 email accounts on my BB, although I could trim this down to 3 or 4 without too much hassle. And I have 2 calendars that I use all the time.
    I LOVE being able to customise the sound notifications as I am not a fan of the 'standard' tones, and I like to change regularly as I get bored with the same sound all the time. (I am aware that I would have to give up my flashing LED if I leave BB.) I also like the facility to place the handset into a different profile, i.e. louder with vibrate for outside, and no vibration with quiter volume for inside etc.
    I would like decent battery life (minimum of a full day on one charge)! The auto on/off facility is good too for sleep time.
    I have been able to see that the apps I would like to use are available (and them some), so, no problems there.
    Auto Text to add own words to a dictionary so that a few letters can change into the word I want it to is fairly important also.
    A good weather app with location based service is quite important as I travel around/stay away a lot in my job.
    The ability to get a lot of music on the phone would be nice (32gb pref) but is not a deal breaker as I currently use my iPod over a phone for music, plus the iPod behaves better with iTunes than any non-Apple product.
    Good facebook/twitter integration with the platform for adding pictures and getting notifications in a timely manner is quite high up the list.
    Multi-tasking to be able to switch between apps is something I use a lot also.
    Apologies if this is a lot of information, but IF someone can assist me it would be greatly appreciated.
    I also would like to apologise if I am just too deeply ingrained in BB and I offend anyone with my niave comments, but these are the things I feel are the main considerations for me at this time. My Bold 9700 OS6 is on contract and that contract is now ready to upgrade, and like most men out there, I am itching to get a new gadget/toy to play with.

Many thanks in advance,

Mark - the noob
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    701 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Welcome to the club. I was a die hard RIM customer up until this past month and a half. I purchased a PB and a iPad 2. I also was using a Torch as my daily smart phone. Last week I picked up the iPhone 4 and haven't looked back since. You won't regret switching. Trust me. With iOS 5 coming with imessage and the cloud service it's only going to get even better. I just wish I switched earlier. I feel sorry for RIM but after owning 12 bb devices and both my sons and my wife still on bb products I am done. When the new iPhone comes in the fall I will upgrade and give my wife the iPhone 4.
    32GB Black iPhone 4, 32GB-3G Wi-fi Black iPad 2
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    311 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I've been a bb only user for ten years. I recently turned to iPhone and wish I had much earlier. Sure three are a couple things that I miss about the bb, but Apple is working on it and I'm sure they will eventually master it. All your concerns are moot...as they say..."theres an app for that." I say, "jump in!" you won't regret it. Perhaps buy it second hand and then grab the iPhone 5 when it comes out
    Everyone else is just confused...
    MKD
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    280 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Mark, I, too, was a die hard BlackBerry user for many years. I was dead set AGAINST iPhone and it being completely touch screen. I always said I would NEVER own one. I got my first iPhone in Feb. of 2010 which was a 3Gs after I bought my wife one and played with hers for a few days.

The iPhone will do MOST of what it is you are wanting out of the box. Notifications are bad and there are not many tones to work with. Profiles are non-existant and battery life is bad. If you are willing to jailbreak the iPhone it will do 90-95% of what you are wanting.

Jailbreaking has apps that will give you: profiles, a customizable dictionary, custom tones and so much more.

The biggest adjustment is battery life. I had to buy the Mophie Juice Pack case to accommodate my usage. Being on wi-fi helps save battery life, but I would always keep a charger near by.
    iPhone 5 16GB - 6.1
    iPad 4 64 GB - 6.1
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    280 Global Posts
    iOS Version

To add to my story... I got my first iPhone in Feb. of 2010. Loved it so much that I got the iPhone 4 on launch day. I started missing my physical keyboard so I ditched the iPhone 4 after a few months and got the BlackBerry Torch. I have since ditched the Torch for another iPhone and I don't ever see myself owning another BlackBerry.

I LOVED every BlackBerry that I've had, but unfortunately, they are all far behind in almost all aspects of the iPhone.

I know BlackBerry users claim that no other device can handle email like the BB, but I will tell you, that is a lie. You can set up your gmail account through exchange on the iPhone and it is instant.
    iPhone 5 16GB - 6.1
    iPad 4 64 GB - 6.1
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    311 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by poisoned10 View Post
    battery life is bad.

The biggest adjustment is battery life. I had to buy the Mophie Juice Pack case to accommodate my usage. Being on wi-fi helps save battery life, but I would always keep a charger near by.
    I love the battery life on my iPhone. Better than the s2 I had!
    MKD
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    280 Global Posts
    iOS Version

It might be better that your old S2, but it sucks coming from a BlackBerry.

I would charge my BlackBerry every other day and not have to worry about the batter dying. I can barely make it a day on my iPhone battery, if that.
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    701 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I would charge my BlackBerry every other day and not have to worry about the batter dying. I can barely make it a day on my iPhone battery, if that.
    That is weird. My iPhone 4 gets way better battery usage than my Torch. I am a heavy user during the day with email and messaging as well as text messaging. I never used to browse on the Torch because the browser was horrible but I browse a lot on my iPhone. I know a business colleague has horrible battery life on his 3G s.
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    383 Global Posts

my 3GS battery life sucked. I had chargers all over the place because I could never get through a full work day without plugging it at some point. BUT iPhone 4 battery life is WAAYY better. I usually can at least make it to the end of day with 40-50 percent. I know everyones usage varies, but that's my difference with two difference phones same work days.

I'm not a BB user, never was, my wife had a pearl quite a while back. Anyhow, I too was super resistant to the iPhone wondering what the big deal was. I had a Treo 650,got my wife an iphone 3G, she didn't put that thing down for a week, always going on about how great it was an everyone should get one. So I found a good deal on one and have never looked back. Got the 3GS soon after, iphone 4 on launch day, got the wife an iphone 4 couple weeks later. Eagerly awaiting iPhone 5 (or whatever they'll call it). Between siblings and spouses and parents, we have 10 iphone 4's between us. It's crazy.
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    850 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I've a question for you ex-BlackBerry users and abusers. How did you transfer all your data to your iPhone? Could you transfer your data from the Password Keeper too?
    Any help would be appreciated, since I intend a shift to iPhone 4 soon.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    311 Global Posts
    iOS Version

dilipc, it wasn't really too bad. It depends on what your data is, of course. All I did was back up my sd card files, pics, mp3 ringtones, wallpapers etc to a folder on my pc. Contacts I just synced with gmail.
    Then I pointed itunes to the folder I backed up sd card to and that was it!

Since then, I made some revisions as I became more used to the way iTunes works, but that's how I started and it went smooth for me.
    MKD
    Thanked by:
    dilipc (06-29-2011)
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I use all 3 platforms at my job, using them to monitor an app which is all we use them for. As far as the battery life goes the blackberry Torch we use constantly dies in 8 hours after a full charge, the iPhone4 tops both the blackberry and android phone we use by far. For my personal use my iPhone4 will last me 2 full days of moderate use.
    iPhone Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Munchkinsdad View Post
    dilipc, it wasn't really too bad. It depends on what your data is, of course. All I did was back up my sd card files, pics, mp3 ringtones, wallpapers etc to a folder on my pc. Contacts I just synced with gmail.
    Then I pointed itunes to the folder I backed up sd card to and that was it!

Since then, I made some revisions as I became more used to the way iTunes works, but that's how I started and it went smooth for me.
    Used gmail as well for contacts and my calendar - just remember to set up you gmail as an exchange acount on your iphone (not sure if there is another)
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    701 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by dilipc View Post
    I've a question for you ex-BlackBerry users and abusers. How did you transfer all your data to your iPhone? Could you transfer your data from the Password Keeper too?
    Any help would be appreciated, since I intend a shift to iPhone 4 soon.
    Luckily for me I had bb desktop manager on my Mac desktop. I just backed up my entire bb unto my Mac. Then plugged my iPhone 4 in and synced it via iTunes. Worked like a charm.
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    850 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Sounds good. There's no way to back up notes and password keeper data I'd imagine. I used the Google route, and all is good. Many thanks all for helping me shift from a BB 9780 to an iPhone4. I'm having a truly amazing experience!
    iPhone Beginner

turn off 3g if u are at work or home w wifi..battery will last twice as long...i promise.
    iPhone Newbie

Default blackberry and iphone

i am a blackberry user for 7 years and iphone user for 4 i think the two has good and bad features, like blackberry email push service, or like iphone 4 apps , i use the the phones , for some stuffs use blackberry for others iphone 4.
    iPhone Intermediate

iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by bellizima View Post
    turn off 3g if u are at work or home w wifi..battery will last twice as long...i promise.
    Indeed I only use 3G wen I need to and battery life on 2g is great especially if it switches to edge. Its the best of both worlds.
  19. Thread AuthorThread Author   #19  
    iMore Nanite

Global Posts
    43 Global Posts

Default Re: Disillusioned BlackBerry (ab)user

I made the switch - and I'm incredibly happy - even ditched the PlayBook and went iPad4 - and my wife went from BB to i5. Thanks to everyone for your help.
    Sent from my iPhone4, soon to be upgraded to an iPhone5S/6 or whatever it gets named :-)

Global Posts
    10,100 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I made the switch last year. I'm not looking back.

Global Posts
    4,101 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.0.4/6.1

A 2yr old thread revived....good lord

Global Posts
    11,096 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by rdiddy_25 View Post
    A 2yr old thread revived....good lord
    Agreed. Were it up to me... threads would auto-lock after 3 months of no replies...
    Keith - iMore Moderator - The Mobile Nations/iMore Forum Rules
     iPhone5 on VZW;  iPad(2012) - wifi with BadElf for GPS
    "When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser." -- Socrates
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    570 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tmarkt utd View Post
    I'm not a hater or a troll or whatever else, but, I am getting frustrated with waiting for a headline grabbing phone from RIM.
    I would like to ask a few questions from people who know this platform. I have only used a BlackBerry smartphone, so my experience is all RIM.

Mark - the noob
    I was in the same boat as you. I was a diehard BlackBerry user, Curve-Storm-Storm 2-Bold. But eventually I got tired of BB's deficiencies and switched to an iPhone 4s. I've NEVER regretted the decision and I don't see myself every going back to BB.

I don't know anything about the iPhone 5, but my device does everything my BlackBerry could do. I have five email and three calendars synced to my phone. I have never had an issue with either the emails or calendars. I use iMessage to communicate with other Apple phone/device users and my carrier text messages for others. There are a lot of rumors that BBM will be coming to the iPhone sometime soon (of course BB's record of delivering anything on time is lousy). I don't use Facebook, but I'm an avid tweeter and have found tweeting from the iPhone is great. I also use Instagram a lot and that app is not available for BlackBerry devices.

If you read through some of my old posts on iMore's sister site you will see that I was once a fanatical BlackBerry user and defender. No more. The only thing I remotely miss about BlackBerry is BBM and rumors say it will soon be available for the iPhone. Leave BlackBerry behind and switch. I assure you that you will in no way be disappointed.