Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By MissJennell#IM
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    155 Global Posts

Default July 7th bubble

So I am sitting on the july 7th bubble I have an android phone on at&t which is a family plan that I want to get off of so I have been looking to go Verizon to keep unlimited data but with the talks of a new phone in September I am unsure if I should get the 4 and be locked in with unlimited data but with that phone for 2 years or do I play the waiting game and get the 5 and have a data cap?

Global Posts
    2,769 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I'd take unlimited data and the 4
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    77 Global Posts

Since you currently have an Android phone you should be able to determine if you are a heavy data user or not. If a heavy user the grandfathered unlimited data with the iPhone 4 is the way to go IMO. I have seen some info on the tiered Verizon plans and they are very expensive for heavy data users.

As far as the new iPhone versus the 4 is concerned, no one really knows what the new features will be; many rumors but until announced could be a radical redesign or just a refresh. You could always get the 4 and sell it to get the new version at full retail. That route would cost you additional $$$ (perhaps $200-$300) but if grandfathered in on unlimited data you could recapture that expenditure in 12-18 months versus waiting and being forced into the tiered plans. From a financial perspective it all depends on your data usage and how you would fit into the new tiered plans versus unlimited.
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    118 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Unlimited, you can always buy the new iPhone at full price, that way you'll still have unlimited PLUS a new iPhone....just sayin
    iPhone Newbie

Always more important to be grandfathered in with the unlimited data. There wont be a huge difference between the ip4 and 5 IMO. IOS5 will be on the ip4 in September. So thats a huge win in my book.
    iPhone 4s 16g Jailbroken
    iPhone 4 16g(wifie)
    iPad2 3G Jailbroken
    MacBook Air
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    800 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I agree with above, take the unlimited data!
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    137 Global Posts

buy an old smart phone on ebay or CL activate it on verizon with no contract and unlimited data, upgrade to new iphone when it comes out...best of both worlds...unlimited data and new iphone
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    2,139 Global Posts

Agree with buying a used smartphone off of ebay or cl or where ever and then use that on a verizon unlimited plan until the new iphone comes out. Then you will have unlimited data AND will be able to have the new iphone.
    AJ_Watson likes this.
    iPhone Intermediate

iOS Version

Unlimited data is always good. Never know when it will come in handy
    iPhone Beginner

iOS Version

Unlimited Data will always be a good bet.
    Mac Products: VZW White iPhone 4 32Gb || VZW White iPad 2 32Gb
    Other Gadgets: Alienware Area 51 Desktop || ASUS N61JQ-B1 16" Laptop

iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    1,967 Global Posts

If you currently have unlimited data, you can keep it even with a renewal past the 07/07/2011 date is the way I understood it. Am I mistaken?

If not, just keep your current phone with unlimited date and wait for the iP5, and when you renew, you should still have unlimited.
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    67 Global Posts

I would go with the unlimited data iphone 4.
    iPhone Intermediate

I'm pretty sure they don't grandfather unlimited data on pay as you go.
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    1,967 Global Posts

The internal documents just said "Current data customers." Who knows. Get the iP4.
    iPhone Nanite

There is no doubt that the unlimited plan is a way better deal. Go with that and get the 4. Pick up a white model as they have higher resale. Keep the box and all the stuff that comes with it and then if you want the 5 you can sell the 4 for a decent amount used.