Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By 1982ollie
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    16 Global Posts

Question How to export my iPhone contacts to iPad 2

Does anyone know of a way to export all my contacts from my iPhone straight into my iPad 2 without having to re-type all of them in?
    Thanks a lot.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    503 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    5.1 Beta 2

Sync m with gmail or MobileMe
     Gold iPhone 5S 64 GB VZW on iOS 7.0.2  iPad 3rd Gen Black 16GB  Black MacBook 13" 2008  20" iMac Late 2007  Apple TV 2  2009 13' MacBook Pro
    iMore Nanite

Add a Google account, and sync, i think it's the best way.

Global Posts
    11,906 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by green7o7o View Post
    Does anyone know of a way to export all my contacts from my iPhone straight into my iPad 2 without having to re-type all of them in?
    Thanks a lot.
    Do you sync your phone to a computer?

Do that... then do it with your iPad. Your contacts will all be there. Magical.

Now... to do even better... sync your computer, to Google-Gmail if you have that, then set your iDevices to sync to Google too so a change on one gets changed on all. Even more magical.
    Keith - iMore Moderator - The Mobile Nations/iMore Forum Rules
     iPhone5 on VZW;  iPad(2012) - wifi with BadElf for GPS
    "When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser." -- Socrates
    iPhone Intermediate

both devices synch with outlook if you have that on your itunes host computer.
    Distinguished

Global Posts
    15,320 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Google Apps or GMail [besides syncing with iTunes] to me is the best way to go.
    iPhone Beginner

Another vote for Gmail
    iPhone Intermediate

iOS Version

Exchange - Google account calendar and contacts

Gmail - google mail
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    77 Global Posts

Another vote for setting up Gmail as an exchange account. I make changes to my Gmail calendar and contacts and both my iPhone and iPad get automatically updated. Works in reverse if I make a change on either device, the other device and my Gmail applications automatically get updated.
    iMore Pro

iOS Version

Surely iCloud is the best way to do this. I used iCloud on my iphone 4, and then I went and bought a new iPad as well. When I set my iPad up. I turned iCloud on and then all the contacts where there straight away. Also if you update a contact on one, it automatically updates the other accordingly.

You can use gmail or hotmail. But I have just transfered from hotmail to iCloud for this very reason because iCloud is the best for instant syncing of everything between 1 or more iDevices. It will do the same for you mail, bookmarks, notes, reminders, photo's (take a photo on one and it appears on the other) and also documents & data.

iCloud is the way forward in my opinion. I've used hotmail for 10 years and when I saw what icloud can do for you, I switched.

Oh and not forgetting that you can go on a PC or MAC anyway and log into iCloud via a web browser (like gmail or hotmail) and all you up to date contacts, mail, notes & reminders will be there. They all update on every device in a matter of seconds.
    NoleScream likes this.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    13,201 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Simple. iCloud.
    iMore Intermediate

iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by 1982ollie View Post
    Surely iCloud is the best way to do this. I used iCloud on my iphone 4, and then I went and bought a new iPad as well. When I set my iPad up. I turned iCloud on and then all the contacts where there straight away. Also if you update a contact on one, it automatically updates the other accordingly.

You can use gmail or hotmail. But I have just transfered from hotmail to iCloud for this very reason because iCloud is the best for instant syncing of everything between 1 or more iDevices. It will do the same for you mail, bookmarks, notes, reminders, photo's (take a photo on one and it appears on the other) and also documents & data.

iCloud is the way forward in my opinion. I've used hotmail for 10 years and when I saw what icloud can do for you, I switched.

Oh and not forgetting that you can go on a PC or MAC anyway and log into iCloud via a web browser (like gmail or hotmail) and all you up to date contacts, mail, notes & reminders will be there. They all update on every device in a matter of seconds.
    For me this is dead on. I purchased a 3rd Gen iPad a few weeks ago and I'm a big gmail user on both that and my iPhone 4, but I made the decision to toss everything (including ditching the Gmail Calendar) onto iCloud. There was no backup / restore or anything. It was as simple as logging into iCloud on my new iPad like ollie said. I had my bookmarks, photos, reminders, notes, calendars and contacts all ready to roll instantly.

And honestly, I'm not there yet for email (don't need to be) and I don't love the iCloud.com interface for the calendar, but I was willing to sacrifice a UI preference for convenience of getting my wife to use the calendar program and have everything on both of my devices without having to do much.
    Banned

hello. i would like to transfer some 40 contacts from my husband's iPhone to my iPad. neither of us uses iCloud but we could if we had to. The problem is that it is not contact sync what we are after but transfer of certain contacts only since he has his contact list different and separate from mine on the iPad.

Could this be achieved easily?
    iMore Intermediate

Enable iCloud Contact sync on your husband's iPhone, let him log in to his iCloud account from his PC, select the contacts you want to transfer, click on the cog-wheel below and select Export to vCard This will export the selected contacts from his iPhone to your computer in the form of vCard (vcf).

Now set up a new iCloud account only for your and your iPad and enable iCloud Contact sync on your device. After a while you will see all your iPad contacts load to your iCloud account. Log in to your iCloud account, go to Contacts, click on the cogwheel and select "Import Contacts". Browse to the place where you saved the vCard contact entries on your PC and click Open. The contacts should be pushed to your iPad.

Alternatively use a third party tool to manually export selected contacts from your husband's iPhone to your PC:

Then use the same tool to import the contact entries from your PC to your iPad.
    Thanked by:
    Banned

Ok, I managed to transfer the contacts to my iPad. Thanks for advising.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    5,023 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default Re: How to export my iPhone contacts to iPad 2

For all you iCloud users, I have a question: how do you handle a situation where you're not using one of your iDevices and want to send an email (from your parent's computer, say). Is there an webmail interface? Or is the assumption that we'll always have at least one of our devices with us?

Global Posts
    22,451 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default How to export my iPhone contacts to iPad 2

Quote Originally Posted by Massie View Post
    For all you iCloud users, I have a question: how do you handle a situation where you're not using one of your iDevices and want to send an email (from your parent's computer, say). Is there an webmail interface? Or is the assumption that we'll always have at least one of our devices with us?
    Yes, you can login to www.icloud.com. You will have access to your contacts, calendar, notes, reminders, mail, etc. simply click on the appropriate large icon.