New iPhone 4 User, Questions Regarding Push Notifications

gbons

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
Sorry if this is in the wrong section, MOD's feel free to move it.

So, as the title says, I'm about 3 days into my iPhone 4 and I've been loving every minute of it. I started using Echofon and the Twitter app and was receiving notifications instantly. Then, I decided to jailbreak it, everything was still fine. I wanted to keep my phone legitimate so I restored my phone to normal. Since then I haven't been receiving any notifications on Echofon, but I'd receive notifications on the Twitter for iPhone app. Facebook is on and off with the notifications, and I don't receive any with email, but the games I play notify me instantly. Is this an issue with iOS 4.3.3, or was it because I jailbroke it? Oh, and in case you're wondering, all my Push Notification settings are enabled.

Any ideas or suggestions are appreciated as this issue is driving me crazy!

anon(4697585)

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Push notifications are a sensitive flower! Try switching the individual notifications off, rebooting the phone, then turning them back on and again reboot.

Facebook however, is rubbish at them even when they work. Try an app called Boxcar to manage them all!

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Push notifications are a sensitive flower! Try switching the individual notifications off, rebooting the phone, then turning them back on and again reboot.

Facebook however, is rubbish at them even when they work. Try an app called Boxcar to manage them all!

This is probably the best advice you're going to get...the notification system on the iPhone is deff not one of it's strong suits, and over time you'll learn just how inconsistent it can be. Many times a hard reset will get the apps back into shape (and in turn, the notifications), but this isn't a guarantee...you'll just have to play around with the settings until it's working for you to your satisfaction.

Jailbreaking didn't cause the issue though, once you restored it, the phone is basically just a stock iPhone again, with no indication that it was ever JB'ed in the past...it doesn't hold back information like that, so it wouldn't effect the phone in the future.

Deleting and reinstalling the apps you're having issues with many times completely resolves these kinds of issues too...but as far as facebook goes, you'll learn that no matter what phone you're using, that app is just a "tough love" scenario, as its basically one of the most poorly written apps out there for one of the most successful and popular THINGS on the internet, lol...

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
Sorry if this is in the wrong section, MOD's feel free to move it.

So, as the title says, I'm about 3 days into my iPhone 4 and I've been loving every minute of it. I started using Echofon and the Twitter app and was receiving notifications instantly. Then, I decided to jailbreak it, everything was still fine. I wanted to keep my phone legitimate so I restored my phone to normal. Since then I haven't been receiving any notifications on Echofon, but I'd receive notifications on the Twitter for iPhone app. Facebook is on and off with the notifications, and I don't receive any with email, but the games I play notify me instantly. Is this an issue with iOS 4.3.3, or was it because I jailbroke it? Oh, and in case you're wondering, all my Push Notification settings are enabled.

Any ideas or suggestions are appreciated as this issue is driving me crazy!

Try restoring as new. Jailbreaking has been known to screw up the PNS. Restoring as new should clear it up and get you a new connection to Apple for PNS when it registers again.

Like everyone else said though, Facebook's notifications are very very bad in any case. I just turned them off and have email alerts instead for Facebook.

Last edited:

gbons

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
Please post what exactly was done to fix the issue so in future when others find your thread they can try what you did as well to see if it fixes the issue.

No problem, I did exactly what dpscott had told me to do, and it worked like a charm.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal