Why no LED

dsmith3427

Banned
Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Just wondering if anyone knows why Apple has never put an LED on the IPhone? Is it a cost saving measure? Battery saver? Has there ever been an official statement or anything since every other phone on the market has an LED.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
You mean other than the one on the back to use as a camera flash or flashlight?

Probably a combination of battery and space.

brokenxreality

May 1, 2011
Visit site
Not sure why. But I personally find it annoying that there's this light flashing at me. One reason why I got rid of android phone. Bugged the heck out of me. So I personally praise apple for that. Lol.

melissary

Jun 13, 2011
Visit site
Not sure why. But I personally find it annoying that there's this light flashing at me. One reason why I got rid of android phone. Bugged the heck out of me. So I personally praise apple for that. Lol.

That's actually one of the few things I've missed since switching from my BlackBerry a few weeks ago! I like being able to look at the table/car console/whatever and see a blinking light letting me know that I have a notification.

Reactions: redbeard

dsmith3427

Banned
Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
You mean other than the one on the back to use as a camera flash or flashlight?

Probably a combination of battery and space.

OK, you got me there!! :) I'll qualify the statement by stating a notifications LED. Apple products are top notch in my opinion so I know its just not a four year oversight. There must be some sort of reason.

dsmith3427

Banned
Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
That's actually one of the few things I've missed since switching from my BlackBerry a few weeks ago! I like being able to look at the table/car console/whatever and see a blinking light letting me know that I have a notification.

Same here. I mean it can't be from a power saving standpoint. I would think hitting the home button and lighting up that screen to see if you missed a call, text, or email takes a heck of a lot more power than an LED light flashing.

Reactions: redbeard

avmsam

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
LED flashing light is a big part of blackberry culture but many find it overwhelming. it kinda forces you to check your phone too often and be a slave to the blinking red light. i guess apple had a different vision. apple has never really been about the instant response. i mean just the way their email works and things like that show it. yes my iphone has push notification but its not the same. i notice it the most on twitter. i mostly have to open twitter to get it to refresh whereas every little tweet and mention is instant on the berry. on the iphone i check at my leisure. it makes sense that rim loves it given their "push" and instant notification nature. on my blackberry sometimes i do find it overwhelming and annoying but other times its just handy to take a quick look at that status light and know if you have to check your phone or not. i think using the flash on the camera is good idea. we'll see how it goes.

Last edited:

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Just wondering if anyone knows why Apple has never put an LED on the IPhone? Is it a cost saving measure? Battery saver? Has there ever been an official statement or anything since every other phone on the market has an LED.

Are you aware that using the LED camera flash as a notification light is one of the features of iOS 5?

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
Are you aware that using the LED camera flash as a notification light is one of the features of iOS 5?

That's an accessibility feature meant for persons who might need it, it's not meant to be used by everyone. It's hardly equivalent to a real LED notification light.

thinkTwice

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
The LED light is a both a blessing and a curse.

It's fantastic because you can just look at the phone and see if you have a message, text, etc without needing to take the phone in your hands, unlock it, and check.

It's also one of the worst things to bestow upon mankind because that blinking light is the digital equivalent of crack. During a meeting, it is impossible to ignore it. If you put it away, you are thinking about that blinking light, it drives you mad. You just have to check.

avmsam

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
That's an accessibility feature meant for persons who might need it, it's not meant to be used by everyone. It's hardly equivalent to a real LED notification light.

i think you might be right. the flash LED might not be as much a curse as real LED notification. but that also means those that really want real LED system are being sold short.

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
not to mention it can only be seen when the device is face down, obviously. i don't know about you guys but i never put my phone face down. never

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site

Because LEDs on phones are ugly... and there's always some moron that wants to make it flash every color of the rainbow just because they can.

The iPhone is immeasurably better without it.

Reactions: anon(631531)

redbeard

Mar 21, 2009
Visit site
They should add one to the front, they could easily hide it under the glass in the bezel area just like the proximity sensor.

For those that don't want to be notified there could always be an option to turn it off, I don't understand those that don't want additional features added based on their wants, options are good.

An led notification light would be a big boon to those of us who rely on our phones for work, I get tired of constantly having to check my phone to see if I missed a call or a text. The rear camera led light is just too bright, and it's on the wrong side, and I imagine it's not good for battery life.

redbeard

Mar 21, 2009
Visit site
Because LEDs on phones are ugly... and there's always some moron that wants to make it flash every color of the rainbow just because they can.

The iPhone is immeasurably better without it.

I don't think they are ugly at all, how is a little blinking light ugly?

You don't have to use it, just like you don't have to use the front facing camera or anything else. Who cares what other people do with their phones?

Sometimes I think people forget that these things are supposed to be communications devices first, all the apps and games and stuff are second. It should communicate to me when I missed an important call or text, and most of the time in situations where you either cannot hear your phone, or have to have it on silent mode, a little blinking light is the only way to notify you. And it's an easy, cheap, elegant solution, Apple could even make it have a nice soft glow to it by hazing the lens so it's not too intrusive.

There really is no downside.

Last edited:

redbeard

Mar 21, 2009
Visit site
The LED light is a both a blessing and a curse.

It's fantastic because you can just look at the phone and see if you have a message, text, etc without needing to take the phone in your hands, unlock it, and check.

It's also one of the worst things to bestow upon mankind because that blinking light is the digital equivalent of crack. During a meeting, it is impossible to ignore it. If you put it away, you are thinking about that blinking light, it drives you mad. You just have to check.

I think it's worse not knowing, I'm constantly hitting my home button to check if I've missed something, at least with a notification light you'd only need to check when it's actually on. It would save battery life and also save that poor home button from being abused..

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2