Why no LED

dsmith3427

Banned
Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
In iOS 5 emails are treated like SMS in terms of notifications. They're given the same priority, and you can see if you have an email on your lock screen. Problem solved.

@dsmith3427

But, if you have one and it's disabled, even if they hide it well, it will be dark dot that is visible in the bezel, especially on the white models... That would bother me to no end, even when the bezel is black I will still notice it and I will hate it. Just for argument's sake...

That really doesn't solve the issue since if my phone is on mute I will never know I have any notifications and I still have to leave the phone on to make sure it's fully charged. And having a black dot on a bezel is I'm sure absolutely no visual cue that would keep anyone from purchasing a tool. Personally I don't buy a phone based on looks, I buy it on funtionality. Again, my only complaint with this device is its horrible job of notifications mainly compounded by a lack of an LED. In this regard Apple is severely behind the competition.

anon4705295

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Personally I find it annoying, specially when I have my phone in my room at night, one it's dark and the flashing light is annoying, two I don't want to be a slave to my phone. If it's that important to you they still sell Blackberry's, get them before they are gone.

THIS THIS THIS! Gah I HATED my Blackberry blinking at me in the night. I sleep through most of the notification alarms, but I have to leave my phone on in case someone tries to call me, such as an emergency, but with BB you can't turn the light off! At least, with my BB you couldn't. That was irritating as HECK. If we could turn it off, though, I'd love to see a blinking light on the iPhone, just to shut people up LOL! I do think it would be cool to have like, the square on the home button slowly light up and darken if you have a notification. Unobtrusive but visible without unlocking the screen - win win!

anon4705295

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
But, if you have one and it's disabled, even if they hide it well, it will be dark dot that is visible in the bezel, especially on the white models... That would bother me to no end, even when the bezel is black I will still notice it and I will hate it. Just for argument's sake...

Unless Apple made it look like the front-facing camera, but on the other side of the ear speaker... the one thing that bothers me about the iphone is the front camera takes away the symmetry, bigtime. This could definitely help that imho.

dsmith3427

Banned
Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
THIS THIS THIS! Gah I HATED my Blackberry blinking at me in the night. I sleep through most of the notification alarms, but I have to leave my phone on in case someone tries to call me, such as an emergency, but with BB you can't turn the light off! At least, with my BB you couldn't. That was irritating as HECK. If we could turn it off, though, I'd love to see a blinking light on the iPhone, just to shut people up LOL! I do think it would be cool to have like, the square on the home button slowly light up and darken if you have a notification. Unobtrusive but visible without unlocking the screen - win win!

You could actually turn all alerts off including the LED but leave the phone active with Blackberry to receive calls. Very nice feature that hopefully Apple will adopt. Something would indicate to me that with IOS 5 now including the capabilty to make the flash into an LED for use with notifications (software update), they realize the need and want for this feature and update the next Iphone (hardware) with this feature.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
That really doesn't solve the issue since if my phone is on mute I will never know I have any notifications and I still have to leave the phone on to make sure it's fully charged. And having a black dot on a bezel is I'm sure absolutely no visual cue that would keep anyone from purchasing a tool. Personally I don't buy a phone based on looks, I buy it on funtionality. Again, my only complaint with this device is its horrible job of notifications mainly compounded by a lack of an LED. In this regard Apple is severely behind the competition.

Oh really? You can't feel your phone vibrate? And even when your phone is not on your body, you can't hear it vibrate?? If you're not paying attention to it enough to hear or feel it vibrate, you're obviously not going to see a tiny little LED flashing anyway. :p

dsmith3427

Banned
Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Oh really? You can't feel your phone vibrate? And even when your phone is not on your body, you can't hear it vibrate?? If you're not paying attention to it enough to hear or feel it vibrate, you're obviously not going to see a tiny little LED flashing anyway. :p

After using a BB for the past six years, trust me the LED light is a very useful feature. There are times when I can't or don't want to hear the phone but I place it right next to my computer at work and when the light caught my eye I knew something was there. The IPhone is an epic failure in this regard. Also, I hate not knowing when the phone is fully charged. Can't believe I have to turn it on or leave it on just to find that out.

I think you are really just kind of arguing for the sake of arguing. If the next IPhone has an LED that COULD also be disabled...why is that so "earthshakingly" wrong? I mean shoot, the new IOS already has this feature to make the current IPHone have the feature by using the camera flash, really can't see why it won't be there next generation with the new hardware. With Apple continually striving to make the IPhone a more business accepted phone, this is one major change they probably won't overlook.

Last edited:

ChrisGonzales90

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
What I find annoying if having notifications on the lock screen. Notifcations come in even with out your phone locked.

I see no problem with an option. Perhaops just a simple white glow from the home button.

applejosh

Sep 26, 2009
Visit site
There are times when I miss the LED that I had on the BB, but I find myself missing it less and less. If Apple were to put one in and as long as it wasn't visible (when not lit) and there was a way to disable it (or even better, a way to disable during certain timeframes), then I wouldn't complain. But I don't consider it a make or break feature any longer.

dsmith3427

Banned
Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
You do realize that when you plug an iPhone in it automatically turns on, right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do yes. What I like however is the ability to turn the phone off, charge it, and know when its done. With a blackberry when it was charging the LED blinked. When it was done charging, the LED went solid. At that point I know the phone is charged and I don't need to turn the phone on to check that.

Schufly

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
Coming from Blackberry just last Friday, I do miss the LED. It was convenient. If it was sitting there flashing green, you didn't have to pick it up, all was quiet on the BB front. And yes it could be turned off. Or you could configure it to flash a certain color for different callers. My wife flashed yellow. I miss that and a stronger vibrate. Other than that I am floored by how cool my iP4 is.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
After using a BB for the past six years, trust me the LED light is a very useful feature. There are times when I can't or don't want to hear the phone but I place it right next to my computer at work and when the light caught my eye I knew something was there. The IPhone is an epic failure in this regard. Also, I hate not knowing when the phone is fully charged. Can't believe I have to turn it on or leave it on just to find that out.

I think you are really just kind of arguing for the sake of arguing. If the next IPhone has an LED that COULD also be disabled...why is that so "earthshakingly" wrong? I mean shoot, the new IOS already has this feature to make the current IPHone have the feature by using the camera flash, really can't see why it won't be there next generation with the new hardware. With Apple continually striving to make the IPhone a more business accepted phone, this is one major change they probably won't overlook.

As I've said before in this thread, that's an accessibility feature meant for disabled persons. It's not meant to be used by everyone...

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site

It's a matter of aesthetics. And remember Apple/Jobs is ALL about aesthetics... their products are generally beautifully designed. Even if it's non-functional (i.e., "disabled"), it will show as a "hole" in the bezel... and be a blight on another-wise beautiful device. (That assumes that it is "hidden" [really, there's no such thing] under the bezel.)

I don't need it. I don't want it. And I am not arguing for the sake of arguing... it would ruin the appearance of the phone and provide no additional benefit (to me).

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
As I've said before in this thread, that's an accessibility feature meant for disabled persons. It's not meant to be used by everyone...

While it does present an easier way for a audibly disabled person to have a visual cue when the phone is ringing or when a message/notification comes in...i think it's entirely meant to be used by everyone, just as the vibration feature is in the same boat, where it does have very obvious benefits to those who are disabled, it would also be a great feature for those in quiet areas who want more defined and silent ways of knowing whos trying to get in touch with them...i've been in movies where i put my phone in my pocket on vibrate, it'd be awesome to know the difference between my wife or mom and dad trying to text/call me vs. just a friend or someone i don't need to talk to at all.

I'd say that gears it towards a very wide spectrum of audience, not just the disabled.

dsmith3427

Banned
Apr 8, 2011
Visit site

Disabled persons?? What are you talking about??:) Is it for the hearing impaired or people who can't feel vibrations?? :) When I'm sitting in a meeting there was nothing better than setting my phone on the table in front of me (in mute no matter) and being able to respond to emails and texts from a visual cue. I really think you are just being foolish now for the sake of being foolish. I just hope Apple moves forward with this (IOS 5 seems like a postive move forward) if not for me but for every disabled person out there who would love an LED on their IPhone!! :)

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73